Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any harm in switching to synthetic oil at 6500 miles on a 2002 Ody (this being the van's first oil change)? I've heard that the recommendation for doing so is to wait until after 10k, but my husband went ahead and had it done anyway(the 7500-mile service was done at the same time).

------------------
(o: Terry :eek:)
'02 GG EX-L RES
Splash guards, mod floor mats & cargo tray, Poron backup sensors, VCR/TV tuner

·
Registered
479 Posts
It probably won't cause any harm, but it's not optimum. The reason that Honda (and Nissan) recommend to switch after 20,000 km (12,000 miles) is to ensure the engine is fully broken-in (valves seated, etc.) first. A well broken-in engine gets better mileage, creates more HP and generates less heat. By switching too early to synthetics, it will simply take much longer for the engine to reach this optimum performance level.

I'll be switching at 20,000 km also, but mainly for the superior low temperature flow characteristics of synthetic oils which is important here in Calgary during the winter (although not this winter, we don't even have any snow left!).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, phil47. I would have waited till at least 10k miles, but the service manager said that it'd be OK to do it at 6500, especially if the van had been driven hard up to then (2000 of those miles were done on a single roundtrip stretch).

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NursePractitionerPa:
The Honda website says the oil weight is 5/30, while the owner's manual says 5/20...which is it?</font>
2002 = 5w20.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts