Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen the other posts on using 5-20 vs. 5-30 and the availability of synthetic oils, I have a 02 so I will be using 5-20.

Has anyone used a synthetic blend, or have any data on Ford or Valvoline blends.
Thanks - Jeff

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have purchased the Ford Senthetic Blend 5W-20 but have not changed to it yet. Does Valvoline have the 5-W-20 Synthetic blend?
I too am interested in info on both these oils.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Here is all the differing info I got from the first 3 pages on a Google search for "5W-20 motor oil". Some are synthetics and blends:

Pennzoil® 5W-20 motor oil is specifically designed to meet the needs of engines that are being introduced in certain 2001 Ford and Honda vehicles

Blended to meet the requirements of 2001 Ford and Honda vehicles, AMSOIL XL-7500 5W-20 offers superior engine protection and unsurpassed fuel economy in engines calling for a 5W-20 oil.

CHEVRON Supreme Motor Oil SAE 5W-20

CASTROL GTX 10W-30 is formulated with superior base oils and patented additive technology to provide better protection against volatility burn off than other leading oils. GTX is the only leading conventional 10W-30 that provides this superior protection.
Available Grades
SAE 5W-20: is a premium, multigrade oil, providing cold start protection with Exceptional Fuel Economy. SAE 5W-20 exceeds API service SL, SJ and SH, as well as exceeding the requirements of ILSAC GF-3/GF-2 for API Certified Gasoline Engine Oils. SAE 5W-20 should only be used in vehicles where SAE 5W-20 is recommended by manufacturer.

CITGO SUPERGARD® 5W-20 Motor Oil

SUPERGARD® 5W-20 Motor Oil is recommended for use in automobiles where the manufacturer recommends an SAE 5W-20 product. Meets the performance requirements of Honda SAE 5W-20 specification and Ford WSS-M2C 153-H.

Phillips 66 Company has introduced TropArtic® 5W-20 to meet the requirements of 2001 Ford and Honda vehicles. TropArtic® 5W-20 is blended with high quality base oil and additive package to meet the Ford Specification M2C153H.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I must admit I've been obsessing on this topic. I very much want to use an API-certified 5W-20 synthetic, but there are none offered on the market at this time. I've been looking at the web site for the American Petroleum Organization at

http://www.api.org/cgi-bin/eolcs.cgi

This site has a list of all API-certified oils in the marketplace. There are no 5W-20 oils that are marketed as full synthetic, API certified. I've located two synthetic blend 5W-20 oils: Motorcraft (Ford), and Shell.

I've also been looking at some of the specifications for these oils at each vendor's website. Interestingly, Pennzoil's 5W-20 has the lowest pour point, and the highest flash point of all the oils I've looked at, even the synthetic blends. In fact, I can't help but think that the Pennzoil offering might actually be synthetic based on its specifications. But then if it is, why wouldn't they market it as such?

I have also written Mobil inquiring about if they plan to offer a synthetic 5W-20. But all I get from them is a generic marketing response saying they "aren't aware" of any plans, but to keep checking their website periodically.

Since I'll be hitting 3,750 miles in the next month or so, it looks like I will have to use a non-synthetic oil. I'll probably end up using Mobil's non-synthetic 5W-20 by default. The specifications of the Motorcraft and Shell synthetic blend 5W-20 oils are not that much better.

For those of you that are sticking with a 5W-20 oil, what are you using and why?

Dennis

------------------

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Motorcraft (Ford) is API SJ/EC according to the Motorcraft web site. The also list other information, but what does it really mean?

I understand all of the data elements, but does anyone know how they compare to pure synthetics and organic oil?

P.S. I have seen the Valvoline on the self, but their web site does not list it.

P.S.S I have put the Motorcraft in our 02 and have noticed not differenc (then again how would I?).

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've used only Mobil 1 in my last 5 vehicles. I hope they decide to come out with a 5W-20 since Honda is so adamant about not recommending any other viscosities.

We have only 800 miles on our Ody so hopefully API will certify a 5W-20 or Mobil 1 will come out with one.

------------------
02 SS EX-L-RES
97 Maxima SE 5-Spd
99 Z-71 Silverado
91 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by btanchors:
...Since I'll be hitting 3,750 miles in the next month or so, it looks like I will have to use a non-synthetic oil...</font>
A lot of us believe that it's a good idea to wait at least 10,000 miles, or so, before switching to synthetic oil. Also, there have been quite a few discussions about waiting for about 7,500 miles before the first oil change in Ody's because of Honda's "break-in oil."

FWIW, Mel

·
Registered
596 Posts

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Service manager at my dealer insists the Honda labeled 5w-20 is essentially a synthetic blend. Says they can't market it as such because of additives. Maybe Pennz is the same way. Anyway, around here the Honda oil is about all I can get right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
To FW_in_OKC -

I know about the Amsoil 100% synthetic 5W-20, but it is not API certified. This is important to me. I've used Amsoil products in the past, though, but the API certification is a "must have" for me....

Dennis

·
Registered
6 Posts
Red Line Oil markets full synthetic oils which are API certified. I have been using their motor oils and manual transmission fluids for years.
Unfortunately, they do not have a 5W20. They have a 5W30. I intend to switch to Redline 5W30 on my 2002 at 7500 miles.
It's my opinion that Honda certified the EPA milage on the 2002 with 5W20 oil, and the EPA requires that Honda mandates 5W20 in the owners.
Read the technical literature on redlineoil.com. If you have any experience in mechanical engineering I think you'll agree that if you want(or need)low viscosity and want the economy of long oil change intervals without sacrificing engine wear, that a good quality synthetic is what is required.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As I have posted before, I was also a Moble1 user and will not use any oil that is not 5W20. I also could not find a reasonable full synthetic so I opted of the Ford (FoMoCo) as I is available locally at Walmart. I change at 5M as used dino until the van turned 10,000. I changed it yesterday and will keep this forum posted if there are problems. I don't expect any.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts