Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost hate to post this . .

Are any of you going to use Synthetic oil? Mobil 1 seems to be a popular choice among auto enthusiasts.

I'm thinking of switching my F150 at 15k, and the Ody at 3k.

Part of me says its a waste of money, while the other part says its just a couple hundred bucks over the course of 100k miles.

What do you think?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Synthetic is definitely the way to go. Test results show it is clearly superior to dino oil in almost every respect. People use Mobil 1 mainly for its relative low cost. However, do not try to extend your change interval just because you're using synthetic.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I've used synthetics on previous vehicles. I don't know if I'll use it on the Odyssey or not. There is no question that a true synthetic is a superior lubricant than a conventional oil of the same rating. There is a question as to whether or not you get any measurable benefits using a synthetic over a conventional oil in a normal engine where the oil is changed every 3000 or 3750 miles. For most people who sell their cars well before they hit 100,000 miles, it probably isn't worth the cost. If you redline frequently, have a turbo or high performance engine, plan to extend your oil change intervals to 7500 or higher, or plan to run the car into the ground, then it might be worth the added cost. As sfearing said, extending the change interval over what the manufacturer recommends may not be a good idea (i.e. may void your warranty). If you choose to do this, it still may be wise to change your filter at the regular maintenance intervals.

[This message has been edited by caviller (edited 02-27-2001).]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My wife does a lot of short trip, in town driving. Baseball, school, groceries, the works. This is considered "severe" because of the short duration of the trips. She's only put 200 miles on the thing in the first two weeks.

I may switch to Mobil 1 for the peace of mind. It may not make a lick of difference, but I might get piece of mind. It's just a few hundred bucks over 100k miles.

I'm thinking of switching in my pickup at 15k as well.

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

·
Registered
57 Posts
This is an age old topic of discussion on most forums. As far as I know based on actual studies and a few good examples of experience, synthetic really does not provide any long term benefit if oil is changed regularly. Synthetic does ensure closer adherence to the multi vis rating for lack of a better way of saying it. In other words, 10w30 synthetic will flow better at cold temps than dino 10w30.

Some people use it for peace of mind and that is perfectly fine, your choice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some things to keep in mind...
The HONDA oil change interval is 7500 miles NOT 3000. Check your owners manual. The dealer is NOT HONDA. They are an independent business and stay in business by making a profit.
Use Honda or premium oil filters only. Mobil1, Fram Extra guard, Amsoil, etc. Find the one with the highest single pass efficiency (SPE).
Dino oil should be good for 3000 miles but synthetic WILL be good for 7500 miles. This will result in a SAVINGS using synthetic and will NOT void any Honda warranty. I wrote an excel spreadsheet if anyone is interested in having it. I'm not sure how to post it here.
If you really want to know the truth about Synthetic vs. Dino oil, buy several oil analysis test kits and see how long each oil last before the analysis comes back saying it is time to change the oil. Make sure you still change the filter every 7500. Use the same brand of oil filter and try to keep the same TYPE of mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by huntlarry:
Some things to keep in mind...
The HONDA oil change interval is 7500 miles NOT 3000. Check your owners manual. The dealer is NOT HONDA. They are an independent business and stay in business by making a profit.
Use Honda or premium oil filters only. Mobil1, Fram Extra guard, Amsoil, etc. Find the one with the highest single pass efficiency (SPE).
Dino oil should be good for 3000 miles but synthetic WILL be good for 7500 miles. This will result in a SAVINGS using synthetic and will NOT void any Honda warranty. I wrote an excel spreadsheet if anyone is interested in having it. I'm not sure how to post it here.
If you really want to know the truth about Synthetic vs. Dino oil, buy several oil analysis test kits and see how long each oil last before the analysis comes back saying it is time to change the oil. Make sure you still change the filter every 7500. Use the same brand of oil filter and try to keep the same TYPE of mileage.
</font>
Sorry, I meant Fram Tough Guard filter. Extra Guard is their base filter.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I see no reason to change dino oil every 3K. unless the manufacturer requires you to do so. I have used both dino and synthetic and have seen no measurable difference in performance, mileage etc. I also have a Ford Diesel with over 136K and have worked it hard pulling my travel trailer all over this continent using nothing but dino oil, It still doesn't burn a pint between oil changes. (4-5K) I have read-and believe- that synthetic oil withstands high temeratures better without breaking down, but I wonder how often our engines get to that temperature range.

As far as filters, I have read several articles and some have suggested that it's a waste of money putting these super-fine filters on your engine because 1) They filter particles much finer than the tolerances in your engine. 2) They will pass less flow for a given pressure and clog quicker, thus causing the bypass to open, allowing more oil to pass thru the system unfiltered, including larger particles.

I have observed similar actions in a plant I worked at. We would have to filter tanks of liquid before release. The filters would become more efficient as they worked, plugging the larger pores first., Then the smaller ones. However-flow decreased in the process, and nothing was added to the tanks during the process so buildup of larger particles was not a problem. However-in another system that contained positive displacement pumps-a bypass would open to protect the pumps and piping and consequently allow particles to pass.
I think the auto manufacturers have a good idea what is needed to protect their engines, and when we go beyond that, It is probably to make us feel better than doing the engine much good, and may even be harmful vs helpful.

Regards
Al

·
Registered
200 Posts
gram_parsons,

I know most of this discussion has been related to synthetic vs. dino, but I saw that you intended to do the first Ody change at 3k. If you haven't already, check the thread of first oil change mileage. I'm no expert, but it seems agreed in that thread that the first oil change should be longer than the 3k to allow the break-in oil to do its thing.

My wife does mostly town driving, but also mixed with highway driving. I'm unsure whether this really constitutes severe conditions or not.

------------------
Jeff

'01 SS EX
Cassette, Rosen Video System, Fog Lights, Splash Guards
Full Nose Mask

See photos at:
http://www.fototime.com/inv/B5EC5C7BC6CFA07

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
- Normal driving for almost anyone falls in into the category of "severe" as defined in owners' manuals. (If you're an over-the-road traveling salesman you might fall into the manufacturer's "normal" category.)

- Synthetic oils are FAR SUPERIOR in low temperature situations. If you keep your vehicle in sub-zero situations you'll notice the difference when starting the engine COLD.

- Synthetic oils hold up better at high temperatures.

- Many people feel that one should wait until the vehicle reaches 10K miles, or so, before switching to synthetic oils. With Honda's talk of "break-in oil" this is probably a good idea.

- I've been using semi-synthetic oil lately (but not on the Ody, it hasn't had its first oil change yet) and have been satisfied. I'm thinking of doing my own blending. E.g., first two-three quarts of synthetic and the rest high quality dino. This might produce a higher synthetic ratio at a lower net cost.

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 09-01-2001).]

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
I was down at the dealer schmoozing with my mechanic (and waiting to see my salesman about any delivery news), so I asked him: truth or fiction? Does Honda use a special oil from the factory, oil that they want you to leave in during break-in?

He gave it an unqualified yes. He said other manufacturers put the cheapest stuff in, but the stuff Honda uses is plainly different than the regular oil the shop uses.

He seconds their recommendation: leave it in between 3K and 5K miles.

For what it's worth. And this is the guy who keeps my 92 Civic Si running like a dream. I trust him, anyway.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Depends on who you talk to. The dealer I bought my Ody from said to be sure and leave the break in oil for the full 7500 miles. The Honda dealership where I have it serviced said 3750.
As far as which service level you would fall under, it probably depends on where you live. I feel the majority of people in my area would NOT fall under the severe schedule as their vehicles are not driven MAINLY under the severe conditions stated, except in the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts