Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maintenance minder on my 2019 OdyEx shows code A only which is change oil, not O (Cdn model) which the manual indicates oil plus oil filter. I always change oil on my previous cars. Could I also change the filter although it says only oil for now? Also it specifies Honda 0w/20. Is this synthetic oil? Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Honda recommend filter change every other oil change. It definitely would't hurt if you are willing to change filter every oil change. I am pretty sure it is not synthetic oil.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I always do a filter change when an oil change is indicated.
Definitely use Synthetic 0W/20
I doubt that you'll find any conventional 0W/20 oil anyway.
Found on the Wilde Honda (Wisconsin) site .... Starting with the 2011 models, most new Honda vehicles will come from the factory with the Honda engineered 0w-20 synthetic oil.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,588 Posts
There is no conventional 0W20 engine oil available anywhere. Because it typically requires a synthetic base stock to produce it, 0W20 is at worst semi-synthetic (though I don't think I've ever seen it) and most commonly available brands are full synthetic. And changing the oil filter along with the oil each time is a no brainer - just do it.

Reactions: John U

·
Registered
2020 Honda Odyssey EX
271 Posts
I am not aware that a conventional 0W/20 exists.

Reactions: tyman

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
There is no conventional 0W20 engine oil available anywhere. Because it typically requires a synthetic base stock to produce it
I have seen and bought locally in Omaha, Nebraska 0W-0 oil made by Havoline. I used it when we had a 3 week spell of -30° as the high during the day than changed it when the -30° temperature broke free. I have no garage and the frost plug heater was not enough to start the cars. My next door neighbor (he has passed away) Gene was a metal millwright aand worked on the Alaskan oil pipline aligning the pipes up and welding, then having put in booster pumps to keep the pressure up and surfacing the pumps housing to the oil pipes. What a guy so full of knowledge. He had told me about -50° weather and the large dump-trucks, cranes, loaders and track mounted backhoes, that they changed out all the oil to the 0W-0 weight and then having to keep a fire under each rig so it would start when they went to work. He said a lot of the guys could not stand the cold and the food they was served so they would leave the job. It took quite a few people working there in months on end to complete the job. Brrrrr :giggle:

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would recommend doing a filter change with every oil change - but maybe that’s me just being stuck in my ways. I do an oil/filter change every 5,000 miles regardless of what the MM says. Most of my driving is highway, so at 5,000 miles the MM says I have anywhere between 30%-50% oil life left. Probably overkill on my part, but I enjoy doing it - gives me an excuse to have a few beers and not be bothered by the wife and kids. ‘22 EX

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
113 Posts
I would recommend doing a filter change with every oil change - but maybe that’s me just being stuck in my ways. I do an oil/filter change every 5,000 miles regardless of what the MM says. Most of my driving is highway, so at 5,000 miles the MM says I have anywhere between 30%-50% oil life left. Probably overkill on my part, but I enjoy doing it - gives me an excuse to have a few beers and not be bothered by the wife and kids. ‘22 EX
This. 5k OCI even on good high quality synthetic is the key to a happy engine.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Google is your friend.

What Type of Oil is a 0W-20? ... 0W-20 motor oils require synthetic base oils and are either full synthetic or part synthetic (synthetic blend) motor oil; 0W-20 oils are not conventional (or mineral) motor oils. And the additives must be thin enough to move well but still protect these newer advanced engines.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Maintenance minder on my 2019 OdyEx shows code A only which is change oil, not O (Cdn model) which the manual indicates oil plus oil filter. I always change oil on my previous cars. Could I also change the filter although it says only oil for now? Also it specifies Honda 0w/20. Is this synthetic oil? Thanks.
Always change the oil filter when changing the oil. Why leave old oil in an oil filter and dilute the brand new oil even if the filter itself is sufficient to continue using till the next oil change.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
0W-20 motor oils require synthetic base oils and are either full synthetic or part synthetic (synthetic blend) motor oil
Make sure to get full synthetic. It costs only slightly more than synthetic blend, but it's a much better product.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
113 Posts
Always change the oil filter when changing the oil. Why leave old oil in an oil filter and dilute the brand new oil even if the filter itself is sufficient to continue using till the next oil change.
That's how extended interval filters or filters like Fram Ultraguard work when rated up to 10, 15, or 20k. There's only .3qts of oil in the filter and there's always going to be a little bit left in the engine passages/galleys when you change it anyway. The .3qts is inconsequential when the entire oil system is 5.7qts. There's absolutely nothing wrong, unless you're using extremely low quality oil, about using a filter 2-3x if rated for it, as far as the oil is concerned.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
113 Posts
Make sure to get full synthetic. It costs only slightly more than synthetic blend, but it's a much better product.
There's very few API SP/GF6 synthetic blend oils out there to the point where you'd have to consciously find one to buy. But yes, it goes without saying, getting a full synthetic oil in this day and age. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Use synthetic for longest engine life. Changing the filter every 2nd change as Honda recommends is adequate, but changing the filter every change is better for longevity.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Use synthetic for longest engine life. Changing the filter every 2nd change as Honda recommends is adequate, but changing the filter every change is better for longevity.
Thanks for the info. I still have a couple of unused synthetic 0W/20 jugs (Castrol and mobil) I was saving for my next change oil for my old 2014 Sienna but traded it for this 2019 used Ody EX .Can I use these? Manual recommends Honda's manufactured oil only. Their parts dept.said they don't carry jugs, only 1 liters at $11 each. Hi-way robbery?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks for the info. I still have a couple of unused synthetic 0W/20 jugs (Castrol and mobil) I was saving for my next change oil for my old 2014 Sienna but traded it for this 2019 used Ody EX .Can I use these? Manual recommends Honda's manufactured oil only. Their parts dept.said they don't carry jugs, only 1 liters at $11 each. Hi-way robbery?
Yea, you can use any 0w-20 that meets the Honda spec.

Honda doesn’t make their own oil and chances are it’s nothing special. They can’t require you to run their oil for warranty or anything else. That is why it says recommend and not required.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite
113 Posts
Yea, you can use any 0w-20 that meets the Honda spec.

Honda doesn’t make their own oil and chances are it’s nothing special. They can’t require you to run their oil for warranty or anything else. That is why it says recommend and not required.
Honda oil is made by Philips 66. It’s good quality oil but yeah.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Always change the filter when doing an oil change.
This is how I have always done it.
Fully synthetic oil and a new filter every change, done on the minder at whenever mileage close to 0% is convenient for me.
With systems like VTEC dependent on clean oil for optimum functionality I believe it's cheap insurance to change both every time.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've never done an oil change without a filter change. It's so easy to do at the same time and it's that extra added protection and peace of mind.
I enjoy doing it - gives me an excuse to have a few beers and not be bothered by the wife and kids.
My wife often asks me why an oil change takes over an hour, brakes take over 3 hours, etc. I'm relaxing, looking everything over, talking to my neighbor(s), showing my kids how to use tools and explaining what I'm doing, and making the most of my day. My driveway is my "zen" hangout.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts