Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

Registered
I've never done an oil change without a filter change. It's so easy to do at the same time and it's that extra added protection and peace of mind.

My wife often asks me why an oil change takes over an hour, brakes take over 3 hours, etc. I'm relaxing, looking everything over, talking to my neighbor(s), showing my kids how to use tools and explaining what I'm doing, and making the most of my day. My driveway is my "zen" hangout.
Don't forget... the longer it takes the more adult beverages are required. So win, win.

Premium Member
My wife often asks me why an oil change takes over an hour, brakes take over 3 hours, etc.
I think I could write a book on my wife asking a question on a car and doesn't understand why it takes so long. I have asked her back and say, "why does it take you an 2 or 3 hours on Sunday to make a meal?" I have since then realized I cannot say something like that again! I had always thought my 2 children would want to learn on mechanical work, but they never wanted anything to do with it. Even my next door neighbor who is a avid outdoor lover of mowing/edging/weed-eating, planting tending flowers/garden. But doesn't have a good knowledge of mechanical concepts, other than putting gas and maybe changing oil on mowers and such.

Wow, you can do brakes in 3 hours!馃槉

• Haha
Reactions: 0dyfamily

Registered
Did my oil change just last week Thursday while I took time away from work for lunch. Oil change only took 30 minutes tops, but I made it last the entire hour so I could sit and enjoy eating while the oil drained. The only vehicle I own that is faster is my Audi that I use a vacuum canister and suck the oil out of the dipstick. Filter is on top of the engine so I don't even have to jack the car up.

I will say this about the oil change. Some auto manufacturers plan for the filter to be removed and control the flow of the oil that comes out of it. Honda does not. The oil lands on top of a metal bracket and makes a bit of a mess. No issue for some degreaser though. Just be ready for that little headache.

Registered
Did my oil change just last week Thursday while I took time away from work for lunch. Oil change only took 30 minutes tops, but I made it last the entire hour so I could sit and enjoy eating while the oil drained. The only vehicle I own that is faster is my Audi that I use a vacuum canister and suck the oil out of the dipstick. Filter is on top of the engine so I don't even have to jack the car up.

I will say this about the oil change. Some auto manufacturers plan for the filter to be removed and control the flow of the oil that comes out of it. Honda does not. The oil lands on top of a metal bracket and makes a bit of a mess. No issue for some degreaser though. Just be ready for that little headache.
My last few vehicles have been like this. I bend a thin piece of cardboard out of the trash to direct the oil over the frame and into the drain pan for no mess.

Registered
I use aluminum foil to 鈥渇orm鈥 a custom path so the oil ends up in the drain pan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 25 of 25 Posts