Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering switching to a Royal Purple synthetic transmission fluid. Any thought on synthetic trans fluids? Are they recommonded or should I stick to the "regular" Honda ATF?

I have a 2003 Odyssey

·
Registered
482 Posts
lots of debate on these forums. did you try searching?

some synthetics are more preferred than others. honda trannies seem to be picky about type of fluid.

in general, synthetics stand up better to the heat and don't break down as quickly (coming from a guy who stil uses honda ATF-Z1 with a trans cooler) :stupid:

i'll probably switch to synthetic when i use up my 2 cases of honda fluid. with 2 hondas it won't be that long

·
Registered
7,318 Posts
A lot of info here on Odyclub. Don't just take our word, read through the threads to arm yourself with information for this important decision. It took me a good deal of reading to make the switch to Valvoline MaxLife ATF (semi-synthetic?...maybe) and then over 40,000 trouble-free and satisfactory miles later to AmSOil ATF (full synthetic). Both are good choices. Some like Royal Purple. Others have been well-served by ATF-Z1.

OF

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for shedding some light on this subject. I also have a second part to my wondering….I have heard change the trans fluid every 2 or 3 oil changes. Is this a fluid change only or should it also include the trans filter change as well?

·
Registered
482 Posts
theodybunch said:
Thanks for shedding some light on this subject. I also have a second part to my wondering….I have heard change the trans fluid every 2 or 3 oil changes. Is this a fluid change only or should it also include the trans filter change as well?
i changed my external trans filter @ 100,000km (62,000 miles). it looked fine. YMMV

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
theodybunch said:
That too has been discussed and been beat to death several times over. Search and read up on that too. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Honda has come out with a new transmision fluid DW-1 i think; it is supposed to be synthetic and backwards compatible with Z-1; will be replacing z-1 as they are going to stop producing Z-1

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yea, Honda and fluid don't mix well together. Get the Amsoil ATF..

·
Registered
129 Posts
It took two years to convince myself to switch from the Honda Z-1 ATF to a synthetic ATF. Ended up going with Amsoil ATF which has been fantastic. Have also heard good things about the Redline D4 ATF. Biggest regret is not switching sooner!

My 2003 Ody with 170,000+ on the original tranny shifts much better with the Amsoil when compared to the Honda Z-1, seems to run smoother at initial startup in the winter, saw a slight increase in mpg and it seems quite clean when doing draining it.

The Honda Z-1 always smelled burnt despite changing it every 15,000 miles, the shifts felt rough and this was even worse during the winter months.

There are those who will swear by the Honda Z-1 and they are either changing it often or have bought into the "Honda Only" which you see printed in your owners manual on virtually every other line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It seems like Amsoil has been used by several and all good things have been said.
Anybody have any experience using Royal Purple products - either the synthetic ATF or motor oil?

Either way be it Amsoil or Royal Purple, I do see switching to a synthetic ATF with my next fluid change!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wrote you back via message system.

If you go with synthetic I would stick with Amsoil Uni Syn ATF or Redline's D4 ATF. I have heard great things by those here at OdyClub and also on Bobistheoilguy.com.

I think the Redline you can even get through Amazon.com. Amsoil you can get it through a local dealer or place an online order. Paying the little extra to become a "preferred member" saves you money over the long run and lowers their prices posted online.

Like I stated earlier I only wish I would have switched over sooner...I was fearful about using anything but Z-1 but alot of research led me to the conclusion that any of the two I noted above are superior to the Z-1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts