Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to adjust the opening height of the tail gate ? Our garage door is really low and will not allow a full opening of the gate. I have to hold it to prevent from hitting into the garage door.

·
Registered
564 Posts
While we await a REAL answer to your question, I'll fill time with a suggestion: Install some sort of padding on the inside of the garage door. I've used pipe-insulation with excellent results. That way, you can simply let the hatch rest on the foam insulation without fear of damage to the paint. There is still a problem that this "fix" does not address though: You have the garage door closed, and the hatch up - somebody then comes along and opens the garage door. Ouch. If the size of your garage is the modern standard, you probably can't open the hatch when it's in the garage anyway, so this may not be an issue.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, and now maybe coming on November 2!
I haven't had a date in months (well, years actually, but that's a different story)
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Ah, I love old houses. Detached garages that can fit real world cars.

(I always wondered about the Ford Excursion. Modern middle class homes have about enough garage space for two Focuses, max, so what are the Excursion buyers doing? Bah. I hate new middle class tract housing.)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sure Adam those old houses look good now with todays cars but they were pretty cramped with that 40 foot Cadillac Eldorado back in 1975...

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
Modern middle class homes have about enough garage space for two Focuses</font>
I have one o' them fancy "modern middle class homes" and I can fit three Odysseys in my garage. But I'm sure I couldn't fit a single Excursion. Three-car garage was the deciding factor on this home purchase. Two cars, and the third bay is my shop.

------------------
-= Darell =-
I haven't had a date in months (well, years actually, but that's a different story)
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
141 Posts
Around here everyone's garage is full of junk.

The cars sleep outside, exposed to the elements and people's hard water spewing sprinklers.

Mine sleep inside... cramped as can be w/ the Odyssey and 4-door sedan.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES - on order
2001 Mesa Beige EX - recently sold

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have the other problem, the gate doesn't open enough. I keep bumping my head. After a year I've finally begun to crouch when under the rear gate. I guess that is one thing that wasn't wrong with my Dodge. (I'm only 6' tall) But with the Dodge I did have the garge height problem.
When it comes to houses I wouldn't trust one less than 60 yrs old.

bill

·
Registered
255 Posts
I love my garage almost as much as my Odyssey - when we built our house 2 years ago, had the architect plan the three car garage with 1 ft. taller and 6 inch wider doors than standard. Also had an additional 4 ft. added to one end.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by groupset:
I love my garage almost as much as my Odyssey - when we built our house 2 years ago, had the architect plan the three car garage with 1 ft. taller and 6 inch wider doors than standard. Also had an additional 4 ft. added to one end. </font>
I love your garage MORE than my Ody!

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Me too! I think we should start a GARAGECLUB.COM site.

We have a 2 1/2 car garage but no where to park the Lawn tractor. The 16 year old is about to get her license. Then I look across the street and my neighbor has 2 three car garages and no kids. Go figure.

------------------

See my Pics

Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES

·
Registered
32 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
While we await a REAL answer to your question, I'll fill time with a suggestion: Install some sort of padding on the inside of the garage door. I've used pipe-insulation with excellent results.
</font>
Now why didn't I think of that?? My Explorer tailgate hits my garage door when I open it, this may be why my rear windshield wiper is "broke" and misses the middle portion of the glass. How did you attach the insulation to the door? I love this site!

I helped my father build his house back in college. He designed his "2" car garage so that you can open all the doors of the cars fully when parked in side... and you could pull in another car in front of them via the side double door. I can barely get my doors open in my garage, I even have to park my little Geo against one wall. When I get my "new" Explorer I can't wait to try to park two big vehicles in there!

------------------
Chris

'02 SS EX-L RES on order, build date (10/16 - 10/20)
'98 Explorer XLT
'94 Prism Lsi

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomhan:
Then I look across the street and my neighbor has 2 three car garages and no kids.</font>
Would he notice if you parked your lawn tractor
over there?

·
Registered
255 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ckonarske:
I love your garage MORE than my Ody!
</font>
I've spent many happy hours in that garage, Chuck! I'm still kicking myself for not running TV cable out there during construction. (I do have a phone at my work bench. And I failed to mention the utility sink installed on one end.) The walls and garage doors are insulated, too, which makes for more comfortable ping-pong games in the winter.
)

·
Registered
196 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
Would he notice if you parked your lawn tractor
over there?
</font>
Good thinking Maugham. I lock my kids up in there at night. Guess he wouldn't notice the tractor either. At least not until spring.

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tomhan:
Good thinking Maugham. I lock my kids up in there at night. Guess he wouldn't notice the tractor either. At least not until spring. </font>
And if the 16-year-old learned to be happy just driving the tractor, you're set.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by czygmont:
How did you attach the insulation to the door? </font>
My friend has an old single-panel monstrosity (garage door) with 2x4 supports running top to bottom. We just slit the foam and "clamped" it around the appropriate 2x4s - it just holds itself on with friction. On my metal roll-up doors, I used some spray adhesive on the foam and on the door. I've had it there for four years so far.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've rigged up a strap with two "s" hooks so that I can secure it to the inside handle and the bumper of the van so that the door will not go up too high. That way it works in all garages.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am putting up padding on the inside of my garage door. I put a lot of stuff in the front of my two-car garage (envy groupset's large garage). I once parked my Ody too far out and caused a minor scratch on the bumper when I closed the garage door.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts