Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Tailgate gas struts replacement

722 6
I was looking around in the forum to find out what is the size of the gas struts for the tailgate, couldn’t find any. I want to replace the said struts as the arm of the strut always detaches from the ball on both sides. There are no more locks to hold the strut on the ball that’s why it’s detaching. Question is, what is the length or size of the struts, then I can search for a replacement. TIA. Drive safe everyone.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Babooespi, I'm confused as to your post. Are you unable to measure your current struts because there are none? Not sure what you mean by no more locks. In the up position, my struts are 22-3/4" long from pivot to ball center, the cylinders are 11-3/8" long, the rod extended is 10-3/8" from end of cylinder to ball center, the rod diameter is 0.40", and the cylinder diameter is 0.88". Hope that helps. BTW, looks like your avatar is flying the Sint Maarten flag, correct? Or Czech Republic?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the swift response Socaman. It does have struts but it keeps detaching from the ball. There should be locks or pins to keep the strut on the ball, correct? I don’t know, I had my Ody for the longest time and I never bothered to check. I’ll check the dimensions you sent, maybe find a replacement. Abut the flag, that’s the Philippine tri-color.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You're welcome! Do you know if the struts are the originals? There are no locks to speak of; the socket for the ball is formed around the ball at assembly. If the balls keep popping out, the socket is worn and the entire strut must be replaced as there is no disassembly possible. Do you have aftermarket part stores where you are? The OEM ones appear to be discontinued. Sorry, I drew a blank on the flag just then. I remember it now : )

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The struts are the originals, I guess they’ve worn out the balls and sockets and need replacements. There are aftermarket parts available here, you just gotta know the dimensions so’s you don’t buy the wrong ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hmmm, I would think you could look it up in some catalog by application and find one that already matches your vehicle? Are we talking new struts or from a salvage yard somewhere??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just installed new tailgate gas struts, got them from China, fitted for RA1-5. You gotta hand it to the Chinese. God created everything. Anything else is made in China 😜. Fits perfectly well, and works like the originals.
Office supplies Font Line Writing implement Parallel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts