Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new 2001 DEP EX this week. One problem I noticed is that the tailgate is hard to close. You have to shut it really hard to get it to latch. Just wanted to know if anybody else experienced this? I will get the dealer to look at it next week when they replace the rear spoiler which has a couple cracks in it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well we've had our SS EX for 2+ months and ours is/was that way as well. The other EX that was on the lot when we purchased ours was the same way. The dealer had to slam it to get it to close properly. He advised us to be sure and do the same. Yeah right we thought typical knuckleheaded dealer talk!

Then we took ours home and found if we didn't slam it that we couldn't lock the doors. What the...only after checking all the doors did my waife notice the rear hatch was closed but if you grabbed it would jiggle a bit.

It was a little intimidating at first having to slam the rear door. Is it right? Beats me, but we've learned to live with it.

Chomp

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It's probably a simple fix. There are threaded bumpers at the lower corners of the hatch that are easily adjustable by hand. The adjustment of these bumpers is probably the only thing wrong. Screw them into the hatch just far enough to allow the hatch to close the way you like. Too far and it may rattle, though.

All four doors also have these bumpers.

BTW, do this with a window or door open so you don't have the compression of the cabin air screwing up your judgment of the correct adjustment.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 05-19-2001).]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dang it, this has been bugging me for 2 months and all I had to do was turn a couple of screws? That's why I love this board.

Well now I want to go try this fix and my wife is gone with the van 'til noon. Well after adjusting the hatch I have an afternoon to myself zaino'ing. So I guess I can show some patience.

Thanks for the tip.

Chomp

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If there's any confusion as to the location of the bumpers, I just posted a few pics showing where they are.

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I screwed in the rubber bumpers a bit and the tailgate now closes much easier. There is still a fair bit of air resistance though with all the doors and windows closed. Thanks for the info Chuck!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Once it's adjusted right, you're better off trying to resist slamming it. If you just kinda push it a little the last few inches you give the air a chance to escape rather than having to compress it.

------------------
Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
As always, excellent pics, Chuck! Thanks.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks so much for all that info, and for the pix, Chuck! I'm going to try that tomorrow, as we've had to slam the tailgate too, causing the license plate to rattle for several seconds afterwards! LOL

------------------
~Angela~
'01 MB EX

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts