Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased our new Odyssey Touring 2 days ago.

When we got it home and opened the tailgate, we noticed that when the tailgate is all the way open, it hits the retracted garage door above it.

I would think that all garages have the same minimum height dimensions. Does anyone else have this problem when they open their tailgate?

I'm concerned that the paint will get scratched over time and not sure if we can have Honda revise the tailgate so it opens just a couple of inches shorter.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ours comes close to the lowest part of the door near the opening. Plenty of clearance elsewhere. I think your clearance may be lower than average.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There is no standard for garage doors opening, its up to the installer of the tracks. You can get them to make it taller if you have room.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have already scratched our Odyssey's tailgate with the lip of our garage door so I know how it feels to be disappointed with what happened. My immediate solution was to find that perfect spot in our garage in which the tailgate can be fully opened without touching any part of the garage door. That meant having to clear the garage of those less important items so I could slide the Odyssey way further inside, and when I finally found that sweet spot, I plastered the floor with different markers including that cheap lollipop stop sign. Never had that problem anymore (though the lesson has been learned already).

·
Banned
728 Posts
If you have clearance, have someone raise the height of your horizontal tracks. As posted above, I don't think there is any "standard" garage height, especially for older construction. We don't have the problem (over 2' of clearance) but many do. Hopefully you can modify your installation to get more clearance.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No problems here. And I've parked in in 3 separate garages so far. I remember reading an article or review that stated the rear tailgate was designed to not hit the standard garage door when opened. They went ahead and complained that this caused taller people to hit the tailgate with their heads but the position is a good compromise.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
Buddy of mine has a Chevy Equinox that you can adjust the max opening height for the tailgate. Neat feature.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I readjusted the garage door motor to raise the door another inch higher.
I think the OP's tailgate is hitting the flat part of the garage door when it is open, not just the lower edge of the garage door when it is the up position).

Some people have enough room to pull into the garage, close the door and then open the tailgate (we do). For others, this can be a pain. Other posts have dealt with how to put a foam cushion on the overhead door in the correct position so even if the tailgate rests on the overhead door, it doesn't cause any damage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Solved the problem!

I got out my manual for our Chamberlain Whisper Plus garage door opener and looked up the information on how to adjust the "travel" of the door.

Now when the door raises, it continues to open further back on the track and moves completely out of the way of our tailgate area.

Previously, the door would raise and stop right where the springs are located.

Hope this helps someone else with the same problem! I appreciate all the feedback from everyone...what a great website for us to use.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've purchased a couple of those "pool noodles", spilt them down one side and slid them over the edges of our garage door bottom. None of our tailgate/liftgates have touched them but just in case...gives me a little peace of mind.

Jim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts