Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New club member here. I have a question on what to do with my 2000 Ody. We're in the US military and being transferred to England. We're trying to decide whether or not to bring the Ody with us or sell it. I am completely torn, so I'm looking for other people's opinions or, better yet, experiences.

Here are some of the factors we have to consider:
1) There is no Ody on the British market. They used to have something called a Shuttle, but they discontinued it.
2) Roads, parking spaces, etc. are narrower in England. The Ody, while not huge, is probably larger than your typical European car.
3) We love our Ody, but are willing to part with it if it makes sense for us. We’ll just get another one when we get back.
4) We could store it, but I’d rather not do that for three years (about how long we’ll be gone). Would just as soon sell it then get another one later.

As I see it, here are the pros and cons of bringing the Ody with us.
PROS
1) Not having to drive a strange car.
2) Keeping our Ody, which we love.
3) Not having to worry about selling it and then buying another one on our return to the US.
4) Our portable TV/VCP would work for sure (plugs into the cigarette lighter). Not sure if UK spec cars have the same type of lighter.
CONS
1) Not getting to drive a strange car. Driving on the right hand side of the car might help remind me to drive on the left side of the road.
2) Parts would have to be shipped from the US making repairs and maintenance more costly and more time consuming.
3) Big car, narrow roads.
4) Sticking out like a sore thumb. Possibly being more of a target for criminals.
5) Insurance for American cars in the UK is higher than for UK cars (not sure how much).

If anyone out there has any experience living in England and has any insights into our situation, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks,
Jim Peredo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,364 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by peredo:
Hello all,

New club member here. I have a question on what to do with my 2000 Ody. We're in the US military and being transferred to England. We're trying to decide whether or not to bring the Ody with us or sell it. I am completely torn, so I'm looking for other people's opinions or, better yet, experiences.

Here are some of the factors we have to consider:
1) There is no Ody on the British market. They used to have something called a Shuttle, but they discontinued it.
2) Roads, parking spaces, etc. are narrower in England. The Ody, while not huge, is probably larger than your typical European car.
3) We love our Ody, but are willing to part with it if it makes sense for us. We’ll just get another one when we get back.
4) We could store it, but I’d rather not do that for three years (about how long we’ll be gone). Would just as soon sell it then get another one later.

As I see it, here are the pros and cons of bringing the Ody with us.
PROS
1) Not having to drive a strange car.
2) Keeping our Ody, which we love.
3) Not having to worry about selling it and then buying another one on our return to the US.
4) Our portable TV/VCP would work for sure (plugs into the cigarette lighter). Not sure if UK spec cars have the same type of lighter.
CONS
1) Not getting to drive a strange car. Driving on the right hand side of the car might help remind me to drive on the left side of the road.
2) Parts would have to be shipped from the US making repairs and maintenance more costly and more time consuming.
3) Big car, narrow roads.
4) Sticking out like a sore thumb. Possibly being more of a target for criminals.
5) Insurance for American cars in the UK is higher than for UK cars (not sure how much).

If anyone out there has any experience living in England and has any insights into our situation, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks,
Jim Peredo
</font>
When i was in the US military while back, i only when overseas on TDY, but hearing stories about shipping cars overseas and getting shipping damage on their cars and parts from car being stolen, it maybe better to sell and buy one when you get back. Ask the people around you who served overseas and took their cars with them and they should be in better position to give you advice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62 Posts
It sounds like the cons outweight the pros on this one (actually 5 to 4)! I think that you would have to experience quite a few ongoing hassels in order to make it happen and make it actually worth happening. The resale on the Odyssey is great right now and just think of the features you'll be able to get on that 2005 when you get back
!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
There's another con nobody has mentioned yet - your Odyssey is not right-hand drive. This makes a big difference when you have to drive on the left side of the road as you must in England. In fact, it puts a whole new perspective on driving that should not be overlooked or minimized. I watched as a passenger for a month before I felt confident to deal with the turn-abouts and such in New Zealand. Go easy and get a right-hand drive vehicle if you must!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by peredo:
Hello all,

New club member here. I have a question on what to do with my 2000 Ody. We're in the US military and being transferred to England. We're trying to decide whether or not to bring the Ody with us or sell it. I am completely torn, so I'm looking for other people's opinions or, better yet, experiences.

Here are some of the factors we have to consider:
1) There is no Ody on the British market. They used to have something called a Shuttle, but they discontinued it.
2) Roads, parking spaces, etc. are narrower in England. The Ody, while not huge, is probably larger than your typical European car.
3) We love our Ody, but are willing to part with it if it makes sense for us. We’ll just get another one when we get back.
4) We could store it, but I’d rather not do that for three years (about how long we’ll be gone). Would just as soon sell it then get another one later.

As I see it, here are the pros and cons of bringing the Ody with us.
PROS
1) Not having to drive a strange car.
2) Keeping our Ody, which we love.
3) Not having to worry about selling it and then buying another one on our return to the US.
4) Our portable TV/VCP would work for sure (plugs into the cigarette lighter). Not sure if UK spec cars have the same type of lighter.
CONS
1) Not getting to drive a strange car. Driving on the right hand side of the car might help remind me to drive on the left side of the road.
2) Parts would have to be shipped from the US making repairs and maintenance more costly and more time consuming.
3) Big car, narrow roads.
4) Sticking out like a sore thumb. Possibly being more of a target for criminals.
5) Insurance for American cars in the UK is higher than for UK cars (not sure how much).

If anyone out there has any experience living in England and has any insights into our situation, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks,
Jim Peredo
</font>
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by peredo:
Hello all,

New club member here. I have a question on what to do with my 2000 Ody. We're in the US military and being transferred to England. We're trying to decide whether or not to bring the Ody with us or sell it. I am completely torn, so I'm looking for other people's opinions or, better yet, experiences.

Here are some of the factors we have to consider:
1) There is no Ody on the British market. They used to have something called a Shuttle, but they discontinued it.
2) Roads, parking spaces, etc. are narrower in England. The Ody, while not huge, is probably larger than your typical European car.
3) We love our Ody, but are willing to part with it if it makes sense for us. We’ll just get another one when we get back.
4) We could store it, but I’d rather not do that for three years (about how long we’ll be gone). Would just as soon sell it then get another one later.

As I see it, here are the pros and cons of bringing the Ody with us.
PROS
1) Not having to drive a strange car.
2) Keeping our Ody, which we love.
3) Not having to worry about selling it and then buying another one on our return to the US.
4) Our portable TV/VCP would work for sure (plugs into the cigarette lighter). Not sure if UK spec cars have the same type of lighter.
CONS
1) Not getting to drive a strange car. Driving on the right hand side of the car might help remind me to drive on the left side of the road.
2) Parts would have to be shipped from the US making repairs and maintenance more costly and more time consuming.
3) Big car, narrow roads.
4) Sticking out like a sore thumb. Possibly being more of a target for criminals.
5) Insurance for American cars in the UK is higher than for UK cars (not sure how much).

If anyone out there has any experience living in England and has any insights into our situation, I’d love to hear them.

Thanks,
Jim Peredo
</font>
Jim,
I have a 2000 Ody that I brought to Spain with me, here is how I see it now after 1 year here:

Pros:
1. Everything that I originally purchased the Ody for
2. Comfortable traveling
3. It's paid for, don't have to buy again

Cons:
1. Expensive to travel farther than the tank of gas purchased on base (takes 8 months to purchase gas coupons in Spain. Gas is 4 Euros/gallon off base.
2. Small streets, yet I have been able to go anywhere so far.
3. Gettting scratched-up, including the bumper to bumper scratch during shipping.
4. Voided warranty by taking overseas (read the owners manual)
5. Need to mail order parts (no UPS here, have to rely on company that will ship USPS - Majestic Honda)

I would bring it here again despite the Cons.

Leonardo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
As an Englishman living in CA, and owner of a 2002 Odyssey, here is my opinion:

If you're being sent to England for 2 years or less, I would advise keeping the Odyssey in the U.S. and have somebody run it for you (don't put it in storage). Buy a used minivan (or MPV as they're referred to in Britain) while in the UK. You'd be amazed at the variety of MPVs available in Europe, and you can get MPVs that are almost as big as the Odyssey. Don't underestimate the hassle of driving on the wrong side of the road, and the cost of maintaining your vehicle via Fedex. What if the transmission goes? Major delays and expense in getting something like that fixed. Even once you bring it back to the U.S. you will get no assistance from Honda if a major vehicle component breaks.

If you buy used and pick the right MPV the total cost of ownership for a two year period will be less than the shipping and maintenance cost of your Odyssey. You don't pay sales tax (VAT) on used cars in the UK.

If you're going for more than 2 years - sell your Odyssey. Think what you will be able to buy when you return!

My 2c.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by pearsonrj:
As an Englishman living in CA, and owner of a 2002 Odyssey, here is my opinion:

My 2c.

</font>
Shouldn't it be my two pence?

Don't forget they've revived the minicooper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
this is a total no brianer ( no offence) SELL it, you get good resale, come back and own the latest model, even more improved.
because if you keep and when you return, you will definitly sell this one to get the latest version. people are trading their 2001 to get 2002 model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great input, everyone. After further review, we decided to take the Ody to England. What settled it was when my wife said that if we don't like driving it over there, we can always sell it to some other military family returning to the states. After performing some searches online, I even found some other Odysseys for sale in the area where we're going. So I guess it's feasible. Thanks again.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by peredo:
What settled it was when my wife said that if we don't like driving it over there, we can always sell it to some other military family returning to the states.

Jim
</font>
Not wanting to spoil you decision but if I were returning to the US from overseas, I would NOT want to buy a vehicle (with no way for recourse if something went wrong) and also have the additional expense of shipping it BACK to the U.S.



------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,510 Posts
I can understand why you (and your wife) want to take your Odyssey with you, I would too, but I wouldn't do it. Main problems as I see it are:

1. Shipping costs and possible damage both ways.
2. Insurance costs will be very high for a vehicle of this size and power with very high parts costs. Having a steering wheel on the wrong side will likely double your premium which will be astronomical anyway unless you can find an insurer willing to credit you for your US driving experience.
3. Parts availability may or may not be a problem, other Honda models share the same parts but anything specifically Odyssey will be a problem. Are you prepared to have the van unavailable while you have parts expensively and or slowly freighted to you.
4. You say there are other Odysseys advertised in the area you are going to, did you stop and ask yourself why they are for sale? My guess is that their owners are fed up with the high cost of even simple maintenance, insurance etc., not to mention the cost of shipping it back to the US. Don't forget that you will have a very limited pool of potential buyers i.e. only families returning to the US, nobody local will be interested in it.

I wish you the best of luck if you do decide to take it, just keep your fingers crossed.


[This message has been edited by Grand Total (edited 03-08-2002).]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grand Total:
I can understand why you (and your wife) want to take your Odyssey with you, I would too, but I wouldn't do it. Main problems as I see it are:

1. Shipping costs and possible damage both ways.
2. Insurance costs will be very high for a vehicle of this size and power with very high parts costs. Having a steering wheel on the wrong side will likely double your premium which will be astronomical anyway unless you can find an insurer willing to credit you for your US driving experience.
3. Parts availability may or may not be a problem, other Honda models share the same parts but anything specifically Odyssey will be a problem. Are you prepared to have the van unavailable while you have parts expensively and or slowly freighted to you.
4. You say there are other Odysseys advertised in the area you are going to, did you stop and ask yourself why they are for sale? My guess is that their owners are fed up with the high cost of even simple maintenance, insurance etc., not to mention the cost of shipping it back to the US. Don't forget that you will have a very limited pool of potential buyers i.e. only families returning to the US, nobody local will be interested in it.

I wish you the best of luck if you do decide to take it, just keep your fingers crossed.


[This message has been edited by Grand Total (edited 03-08-2002).]
</font>

Very good points, but as a member of the armed forces, we have a couple of advantages.

1. Shipping costs (and all moving costs) are paid for by Uncle Sam. It would be the same if your company decided to relocate you to Europe (or back). You would expect them to foot the bill wouldn't you? The Air Force will pay for us to ship one car there and one car back. As for damage en route, I'm afraid that's a risk we take and that's what insurance is for.
2. The Army and Air Force Exchange Service (AAFES). This organization, independent of the military, runs our on-base "department store" (the Base Exchange or BX), as well as the base gas station, service station, barber shop, dry cleaners, Burger King, auto parts store, and others. They also have a car sales program. In addition, there are several car dealerships in the local area who cater to the American military. If worse came to worst, I'd still be able to trade it in.
3. As far as parts, AAFES can get us parts (although it might be slow). I was told the best solution is to have a reliable family member be prepared to buy and ship parts. I have two such people I can rely on. We do plan to buy a second (UK specification) car, so if the Ody goes out we won't be completely helpless.
4. Our sponsor in England (the person helping us coordinate our move), said to bring the van. People (US military folks) drive all sorts of vehicles over there and apparently handle all these issues.
5. This is a Honda after all. We buy Hondas for their reliability (certainly not for their car salesmanship). Sure something might go wrong and I will certainly need parts (even for oil changes), but I think with the military support we get, it's manageable.

There are some things you bring up that I can't argue about right now:

1. Insurance costs. I've been meaning to talk to my insurance company (which does provide coverage over there and which even has an office on base) about the increased costs, but I just haven't gotten around to it. I guess if many other people do it, it can't be that exorbitant.
2. Left-hand drive. I am nervous about hugging the curb when I drive and not having the normal visibility when I go to pass someone on a narrow two-lane road, but I'll just increase my patience level and not pass as much as I would here. I've driven in England before (if only for a week), and I was able to handle the roundabouts and the left-hand stick shift without any problems. Although I'd rather not be in the situation I'm in, I think I have sufficient driving skill to handle it. I'll just have to remember I'm a foreigner in a foreign land driving a very foreign car and to drive very defensively.

To be honest, in my heart I'd rather sell this car, get some fun UK spec car to drive for three years, then come back and get a brand new Ody. But it's just not very practical to do that when I have a great, reliable car right now. We love our Ody and plan to continue loving it for years to come.

Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Passing on a two lane undivided highway with a L/H drive car from the L/H lane can get somewhat dangerous.Especially when trying to pass a truck or other large vehicle that blocks your vision of on comming traffic.

Just somthing to think about.

------------------
2002 MB EX-L RES
1996 Camaro Z-28
1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2001 Yamaha R-1
1991 Yamaha FZR-600
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top