Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TCS & Check engine light came on at same time. Cheap solution...heart attack averted

Went to fill up '03 Ody, over 100K on it with the original tranny (had cooler put in and 2 fluid changes). Went home, next morning started up fine went 100ft and I could tell something was wrong. Engine/power did not feel right. Both TCS and CEL illuminated and stayed on. I went home and disconnected the battery. Re-connected the battery and codes were still there. Went on line and found out about the tranny problems and thought the worst I need a new tranny. Brought it to my honest mechanic, calls me back 3 hours later van is fixed. He found a code for "Multiple misfires" he replaced the coil for cylinder #6. Cost $174.02. Now I need to find myself a good kinda cheap scanner.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I am buying a coil and a 6mm torx wrench and throwing it in the glove box to avert this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Had a similar situation last week, 03 with 96K miles. 8 codes were stored: each cylinder misfire, multiple misfires and any misfires. Replaced EGR valve, test drove it, better but still rough. But the only code stored as cylinder #2 misfire. Replaced all plugs and #2 coil and all is well. Cost of EGR valve, plugs, and coil was only about $170. Coils are amazingly easy to replace.

Joe: I highly recommend the Actron scanners, you can get a cheap one for $50-60, I got the $110 one (CP9575) and it tells me all kind of things about the vehicles, including live data. It also contains the vehicle-specific codes internally. For example, the P1399 code for a honda means multiple misfires, but something else for other makes. Very handy to have that info without having to go inside and search the web for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These engines are prone to problems as a result of the ridiculous Variable Cylinder Management VCM system. After 100k miles or even less the unused cylinders when cruising at constant highway speeds during extensive use in ECO mode can only cause engine problems. The entire engine runs better, I get better fuel economy, and it will last A LOT LONGER if one disabled this USELESS and destructive feature. If you do not, chances are you'll be chasing a ghost in the machine by replacing parts one after the other with some success, but long term, the engine will wear out FAST. The way I did it is way too complicated, but there are plug and play solutions that eliminate the VARIABLE CYLINDER MANAGEMENT system available. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND INSTALLING A DEVICE SUCH AS THIS, your vehicle will run smoother, longer, and much more steady especially on the freeway/Interstate.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Can't argue with any of that ^^^.

Luckily the OP has a 2003 which predates the start of VCM in 2005. Gen 2 can still have misfire problems, but at least VCM would not be on the list of suspects. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Roger that my mistake, but I think a ton of people should benefit from looking at the VCM. I honestly can't believe this is a honda innovation. Seems more like General Motors Technology.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Roger that my mistake, but I think a ton of people should benefit from looking at the VCM. I honestly can't believe this is a Honda innovation. Seems more like General Motors Technology.
I think general motors was the first to do it in the early 80's on some cadillac's.
4-6-8 is what it was called, and was such garbage the dealer fix was disabling it.
🤣

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
I honestly can't believe this is a honda innovation.
Yeah, it was one of those bad ideas that looked good on paper.

The Honda marketing people loved it since it gave Honda years-long bragging rights over the Sienna for better fuel mileage. (Toyota turned the tables in 2021 with the 36 MPG hybrid-only Sienna.)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts