Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
About a week or so ago with my 2002 Ody my check engine light came on but I noticed no symptoms.. everything seemed to be driving fine. I was planning on buying a code reader but had not yet gotten around to it (been busy & searching for work due to covid layoff). Anyways, fast forward to today, out of nowhere the TCS light came on and I noticed you had to rev the car up a bit for it to move. It almost didn't make it up a hill where I was dropping my daughter off for school. I got the van back home. The only thing remotely different about this morning was that it was the first time the temps dropped down quite a bit overnight.

I did some googling and it appears it could be one of a few things. It could be - my transmission is shot. It could also be the shift solenoid screens are dirty and need cleaning (or some other problem with them).

Until today I have had absolutely zero issues with the transmission. It has 176k on it. I do a single drain and fill each time I change the oil (every 3-4k miles). Knowing these transmissions are considered fragile as glass I drive the van gently.

I took a look and I've seen a few vids on youtube of folks cleaning / checking the solenoids. It looks like possibly something I can tackle in the driveway. Years past with older cars I've swapped engines, transmissions.. but with those you could fit a person in the engine compartment. I can already see this one will be a bit challenging as it's buried pretty good but doable.

What are some of your thoughts on how to proceed from here? Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Instead of guessing and speculating, if you don't have a code reader stop by the auto store and have them pull the codes.

Reactions: 2011.2017.odyssey

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep, it sounds like that's the next logical move. As I'm not sure it would make it to the nearest auto store, I went ahead and ordered one of those $35 readers off amazon.. there were a few "best sellers" with good reviews. I'll know more on Thursday. For now, my van sits.

·
Registered
26 Posts
First double check the fluid level in the transmission. Cooler temperatures mean that the volume of fluid has decreased. This seems most likely. Since you have been servicing the fluid regurley, I would not condem the transmission yet, Have you replaced the external filter. See my other posts re: transmission fluid

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Doug thanks for the reply. I just checked the fluid level on the transmission. It is a healthy red and is right at the cold temp level. It does not smell burned at all. I have not replaced the external filter. I'll have a look for your posts on transmission fluid. My code reader should be arriving tomorrow so we'll get a better picture of what codes were thrown.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, just a quick update. My code reader arrived from Amazon and I read the codes. Here are the two I get:
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
P0763 - Shift Solenoid C Electrical

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't know if you can help or not. Replaced Engine in 02 Odyssey, Runs Great no issues. But I must have a wiring issue with Transmission. Worked great before engine swap. Getting TCS Light, Check Engine and flashing green "D" light. Haven't drove much but acts like starting off in 2nd gear or a limp mode? I thing I have a bad connection in one of the harness plugs, one that supplies power to transmission. So, I guess I'll go over all of the plug connections again, but really wish I could center on one or two of the most likely plug to cause this issue. Ron

1 - 7 of 7 Posts