Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alarm installer can't find the needed tech info / diagrams for installing an alarm and remote starter into a 2002 Ody EX (L NAVI). He can get 2001 info. We expect to have him put in the Audiovox Prestige APS785. Anyone here have any useful info? I won't let the dealer put in a low end system for more then a better system.

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
122 Posts
Go with the intelliguard 7000.
You can get it at Car Tunes in Farmingdale, LI.

Ask for John. The got the 2002 tech info. If you want a referral....let me know. I've bought 5 alarms from them and he is going to give me a discount and anyone I refer.

[email protected]

·
Registered
147 Posts
First off the Intelliguard is not a remote start, you still have to buy the remote start module. Second I do not particularly care for Clifford Products. They are overpriced. Clifford went bankrupt and DEI (Viper is one of there products), bought what was left. DEI's products are manufactured in the same factory as most other alarms in Taiwan. There is nothing special about them as I am concerned. DEI's warranty practices are suspect at best. There are some neat features on the Clifford, but I don't feel the price warrants it. Get a Viper if you want a DEI product.

Now as far as Audiovox's APS-785, it's made in the same factory in Taiwan, It's a great remote start with all features built on one platform. I sell and install them, so I can be very unbiased here. :) I have sold and installed just about every brand out there and I still keep going back to Audiovox. I have the APS-785 in my wife's Minivan. She loves it and it has a range of up to 1000 feet! That's plenty believe me. Just find a good installer to put it in and it will last you forever. And if you do have a problem, Audiovox will exchange it no questions asked! Try that with a DEI piece after the first year. All my work trucks have Audiovox's in them. And yes I have to pay for them. I have my choice of what I want and they have not treated me wrong. Just wanted you to have facts.

Now, for what you are looking for which is Tech Data. I have access to all databases from Omega, Audiovox, and yes DEI'
s and I have not seen anything on the 2002's. I will check some others on Monday to see what's out there. I am going to one of my Honda dealers next week and I will see if the 2001's are similar. I just have not had to work on a 2002 yet. Somebody will have it and I will post. The APS-785 is a nice unit and I wouldn't go to the Intelliguard just so someone else can get a discount!

DanDan

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the older Cliffords but won't touch them for new vehicles now that they've been bought out. My installer is in Commack Long Island and is quite good at it, so if you can find tech info I'd greatly appreciate it. I told the scum.... who's the car dealer's accessory/add-on salesman that I won't buy his low end alarm at his high (or any price). Thanks!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DanDan:
First off the Intelliguard is not a remote start, you still have to buy the remote start module. Second I do not particularly care for Clifford Products. They are overpriced. Clifford went bankrupt and DEI (Viper is one of there products), bought what was left. DEI's products are manufactured in the same factory as most other alarms in Taiwan. There is nothing special about them as I am concerned. DEI's warranty practices are suspect at best. There are some neat features on the Clifford, but I don't feel the price warrants it. Get a Viper if you want a DEI product.

Now as far as Audiovox's APS-785, it's made in the same factory in Taiwan, It's a great remote start with all features built on one platform. I sell and install them, so I can be very unbiased here. :) I have sold and installed just about every brand out there and I still keep going back to Audiovox. I have the APS-785 in my wife's Minivan. She loves it and it has a range of up to 1000 feet! That's plenty believe me. Just find a good installer to put it in and it will last you forever. And if you do have a problem, Audiovox will exchange it no questions asked! Try that with a DEI piece after the first year. All my work trucks have Audiovox's in them. And yes I have to pay for them. I have my choice of what I want and they have not treated me wrong. Just wanted you to have facts.

Now, for what you are looking for which is Tech Data. I have access to all databases from Omega, Audiovox, and yes DEI'
s and I have not seen anything on the 2002's. I will check some others on Monday to see what's out there. I am going to one of my Honda dealers next week and I will see if the 2001's are similar. I just have not had to work on a 2002 yet. Somebody will have it and I will post. The APS-785 is a nice unit and I wouldn't go to the Intelliguard just so someone else can get a discount!

DanDan
</font>

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I won't by Clifford anymore; I like the 2 I already have (one will go with my trade-in) except for the very iffy remotes.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 1ODY2NV:
Go with the intelliguard 7000.
You can get it at Car Tunes in Farmingdale, LI.

Ask for John. The got the 2002 tech info. If you want a referral....let me know. I've bought 5 alarms from them and he is going to give me a discount and anyone I refer.

[email protected]
</font>

------------------
Ron

·
Registered
239 Posts
DanDan,
I am waiting for my 02', it will replace my 99' Ody. I am familiar with my 99' dealer installed Honda alarm system, but not the audiovox APS-785, can you tell me what the difference ? It seems to me that you highly recommend the Audiovox, what is the fair price for its parts and labor ?
Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DanDan said:

DanDan
I had an Audiovox APS-785 in my 02 EX which I was very happy with. Last week I traded it in on an 03 EX-LRES. I'm still deciding whether to install an aftermarket alarm system, or JUST a remote starter. Do you have any suggestions? I liked Audiovoxm but I wish I could find an alarm that would PASSIVELY arm but NOT lock the doors after 5 minutes or so (not 30 seconds).

Thx
Rob

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am about to put in the APS 996, was going to prep it tonight but....just got the 2 DEI bypass units today, don't know which one I'm gonna use but will use one of them. One gets hard wired and the other I have a uncut spare key that goes into the brain. OH decisions decisions, maybe only one will work, see what happens.

Ever since the new7000's and up etc came out they did start to go down hill. The ones before them were pretty much flawless. I installed one of the First Avantguard G4's in my Expedition, was great using the Laptop to program everything, G4 smartwindows too, Blackjax worked great. THEN one day while doing 60 or so my truck shuts down brakes barely work, steering the 295-40-20's (back in 99) was ridiculas. Though maybe the bypass at first got screwed up and my key uncoded (to me it's never the alarm first) and shut the truck down. My son and wife were screaming.......I have always used Clifford and Alpine but installed all kinds. Well, the brain went bad.....damn like the first 7000's that came out ( didn't shut the car down but) With the clifford AVG4 you split the starter and the ign and when the brain pooped, shut down.....Lucky I always have a spare box with all extra goods/tools for such a thing, on the side of the road with the dash panel down bypassing the ign/starter key wires after checking everything else out....Oh well whadda gonna do. Clifford did take care of me, they examined the brain too.

When I had my Sy and Ty, I used Alpine 8081's and soldered and heat shrank every connection, every relay, no relays are built in None, also put in SW !!'s, Alpine pager, Clifford RS........ I'm getting flash back's......

·
Registered
365 Posts
E140 said:
I used Alpine 8081's and soldered and heat shrank every connection, every relay, no relays are built in None, also put in SW !!'s, Alpine pager, Clifford RS........ I'm getting flash back's......
Do you know, or anyone here knows if it is possible for an Alpine alarm to work the power doors? I have an OG 8080 I want to hook up, but I am not sure about the doors. Anyone? :confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
you have the expansion module for it? if I remember correctly it has 3 extra ext out from the alram? I'd have to double check unless you beat me to it. The way i did it you would need at least 3 ext. 2ch, 1 to open each door and 1 to close both doors. 4 relays.

·
Registered
365 Posts
E140 said:
you have the expansion module for it? if I remember correctly it has 3 extra ext out from the alram?
I think you are talking about the 8081. That one has an expansion module. Mines has just 4 ext's.

·
Registered
365 Posts
E140 said:
The way i did it you would need at least 3 ext. 2ch, 1 to open each door and 1 to close both doors. 4 relays.
So it is posible to hook up the doors? I was talking with a friend who has been installing alarms for a while now, and he said that it could not be done. I think he said that the doors don't work on a neg trigger or something like that. Not sure.... I am so confused.
:confused:

·
Registered
290 Posts
The 8080 and 8081 (i've had and installed both) are pretty much the same except for the remote and some other little things. Expansion module works on both. BTW: I think I have leather cases for the 8080 remote somewhere.............

Yes, it can be done, yes you can hook up the doors. I just did it. Your friend just needs his hand held a little bit. :D

I guess I can draw something and send it to you etc.....I surprised with all the audio/video/alarm cats on this forum that they did not already wipp you up a diagram :confused:

Stay Tuned I'll see what I can do to draw something up unless someone beats me to it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Cool. Thanks E140. I guess when you get a chance if you could draw out that diagram, I'd really appriciate it. :) I never knew that the expansion module workd for the 8080 too. Please keep me posted.

·
Registered
290 Posts
ex-r, I can't find my Alpine 8080 stuff, but if my memory serves me correct and this is a long shot (c'mon somebody else here gotta chime in) the 4 ext are all yellows with green/ black/ purple/ brown stripes? I'm will try later to draw something and scan it at a friends house, mail it to myself and then mail it to you? now this might take sometime to do BUT maybe just e-mail me once in awhile to keep my mind on it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
With all the alarm techs/ installers/ gurus with all the tech data base availability etc......I had to do this to get you the info geez...................It looks childish but the only way I can think of doing it at the moment to get you the info. I had to do this with my touch pad on my laptop. Boy, the things I do. :D Well, you should get the idea.

BTW: Hey!!! I see you laughing at my drawing ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
E140 said:
Who me? I would never...... especially since you are helping me out like this. Not like the other "tech gurus" on this board. I really appriciate it. Thank you. :)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
E140 said:
With all the alarm techs/ installers/ gurus with all the tech data base availability etc......I had to do this to get you the info geez...................It looks childish but the only way I can think of doing it at the moment to get you the info. I had to do this with my touch pad on my laptop. Boy, the things I do. :D Well, you should get the idea.

Isn't it great what you can do with simple building blocks such as relays?

Even better, isn't it great what you can do with a simple track pad and a paint program? :D

I wanna say thanks for covering this subject. In fact nobody here has posted alot of detail on alarm installations, at least that I can remember. I do have tech data on '99-'01 alarms installs, but haven't touched my Ody since I like the OEM system in terms of its functionality.

The doors are a little bit tricky, depending on the alarm, but just like anything else, it all can be done as you have provided one solution here. It comes down to a matter of will, and having the right information.

E140, I've enjoyed seeing all the stuff you do to your Ody. Thanks for contributing so much to our forum!

p.s.- thought it's never been asked for, if anyone wants '99-'01 alarm wire codes/info, let me know, I can publish it. I don't really know how it differs from '02/'03 or even if it does, but I have it if people want it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi John,
If you could post wiring info it will be great. I would like to add a remote start and any information I can get will be great.

A general tech questions I have and hope somebody knows the answers to:

I'm interested still having the sliding doors operational and not sure why each door needs 2 relays. Isn't it possible to hook one of the channels directly to where the original wireless remote receiver is sending the signal to open the doors?

Last I'm debating between the Prestige 996 and the Python 881XP. The 996 has an additional channel so it's possible to hook up each unique channel through a relay to the wires where the buttons near the steering wheel is but I heard it has a lot of false alarms. While Python has less false alarms but it has 5 ch instead of 6.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd like to throw in another good word for the Audiovox Prestige alarms, I've had an APS-600 for about 7 years, and installed it into 4 different cars, it still works like a champ.

There are some links about the 02 alarm wiring in my homelink mod two in my signature, and links to where I found the info.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts