Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently i replaced my cluster with a used one bought from ebay. Everything works well except that the temp gauge ran straight to the red zone upon an early morning start. I changed out to the old cluster and the temp gauge behaves normally. I deduced that something is wrong with the cluster and not the sensor. However, can anyone advise me what went wrong and is there a way to fix it?

My ride is a 2000 EX, and the cluster is from a 2003 LX. I had to replace the cluster as the odometer needle was broken and badly smeared with alcohol cleaning agent.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
When you get into these kinds of scenarios, I'd believe a good course of action is to check and see if different p/n's (and thus different parts) are the problem.

For 2003, the printed circuit board is p/n 78146-S0X-A13.

2000 uses p/n 78146-S0X-A02. It's a different circuit board that interfaces to a different PCM (powertrain control module) to accomodate a 4-spd transmission. I think there's also a thread out there noting the differences in coolant temp sensors as well between 1999-2001 and 2002-2004 year groups of these Gen 2 Odys, as well.

Best path to take at this point? Get a cluster for a 1999-2001 Ody.

OF

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
From what I can tell in the manual they should both be the same.The control signal for the guage comes from the PCM. Check wire between Guage connector C2 and PCM connector A pin 31.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I just checked my 1999-2004 Helm Manual, and it lists different procedures for 1999-2000, 2001, and 2002-2004.

For 2001 for a "hot" needle, it has you check PCM connector A (AKA connector "31P"), pin 14, as WW noted. However, for 2002-2004, the manual has you check a different pin on a different connector (pin 31 on PCM connector E). For 2000, you have to remove the plug from the coolant temp sensor on the engine to do your checks, best I can tell.

I think they're different PCB's (printed circuit boards) with different pin arrangements on their connectors, as far as I can tell, but WW may be right, and in that case, you just have a non-functional instrument cluster that needs to be returned.

Wish I had a better answer than the above.

OF

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tks for the swift reply. Odyforum rocks!!!

Looks like I have to sell this cluster and get another, since the eBay seller dun entertain return. Anyone interested??
Meantime, I will check all pins connectors to make sure that I am not barking up the wrong tree.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question that I would like to ask is if I live with the cluster and drive with a hot needle, will it cause any harm or in the case of a real hot situation in the engine will I be informed by the illumination of the CEL or is there any other warning that I should get?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Advise on engine temp warning

My cluster temp gauge is showing hot needle, eventhough the engine is cold in the morning. Is there any other way to warn me of a real true hot engine, like a CEL before the engine blows apart?

I want to continue using the crapped cluster showing the hot needle, just wanted assurance of warning in a hot situation.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
jimmy, I don't know if your cluster is bad (WW has a really good track record at figuring out Ody issues here on this forum)...or if it's good, but just a case of different connector pin configurations (what I may be thinking). That is the limit of our ability to help you diagnose the problem without being able to physically run the troubleshooting protocols that WW pulled from a bona fide Helm manual.

Can you swap the guts of your working 2000 EX cluster into the working exterior of your 2003 EX cluster?

In answer to your question, I do not know of any other temperature warning available without the gauge, especially with the possibility that it may not be operating properly with other functions as well.

OF

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
Can you do a test? What happens when the car warms up a bit. Does the guage start going down? If yes, perhaps a polarity is reveresed so it goes all the way to the red zone thinging that is zero? Just a stab in the dark you know.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have not tried checking the polarity. Taking it out and putting it back in is just too much hassle.

I am still waiting for a answer on whether will it give me a cel in the event of a real hot engine

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I don't see one on any list in my Helm manuals for our Accord or Odys. However, that doesn't mean one doesn't exist, as has been revealed before for other unusual CEL codes. Do some searches on the web for generic OBD-II codes and Honda-specific OBD-II codes to see if you can find a match.

OF

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
jimmy631 said:
I have not tried checking the polarity. Taking it out and putting it back in is just too much hassle.

I am still waiting for a answer on whether will it give me a cel in the event of a real hot engine
Don't know of a direct code for overheating. But there are many indirect codes (e.g. misfires). However these appear later and your block is likely toast by then (pardon the pun).

You could install a ScanGuage to get the engine temp reading.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts