Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't do the Donnelly mirror right now, so bought a Radioshack indoor/outdoor temp thingie. Someone addressed the best place for the probe but I can't remember where. Can I just "drop" it into the fender area right behind the outside mirror? Right now I have it under the housing on that mirror.

Someone also mentioned obtaining a second dropdown tray in order to install it between the second row seats. I'd love to: is it possible, and where would you get it?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
I didn't do the Donnelly mirror right now, so bought a Radioshack indoor/outdoor temp thingie. Someone addressed the best place for the probe but I can't remember where. Can I just "drop" it into the fender area right behind the outside mirror? Right now I have it under the housing on that mirror.</font>
There probably isn't only "one best place" to mount a sensor as long as it's somewhat protected and in a place that's not influenced by engine heat. Otherwise, anyplace that's convenient should work.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:

Someone also mentioned obtaining a second dropdown tray in order to install it between the second row seats. I'd love to: is it possible, and where would you get it?
</font>
IIRC, when this was mentioned before, there isn't a quick and easy way to do this. It would probably involve fabricating a custom bracket to allow attachement to one of the center row seats.

If you want another tray, just email/call Trevor and HandA and he can set you up!

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
139 Posts
MerpsMom
I finally got around to removing the fold down tray in order to see if it would be possible to mount one between the center row seats. Unfortunately, it's a little to wide. I think a fold down tray would be very handy there, it would give them a place for those burgers and fries. Does anyone know if another manufacturer uses a fold down tray that could possibly be used?
PS I put a couple of shots of the tray resting between the seats in my album so you can get an idea of how much to wide it is.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/4223FDFE5FFA950

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx, dlh2, I measured it and found it too wide also. But I think it's a really good idea, so will keep searching through websites for it. Wonder if you could just fashion a pop-up thing like a tiny customized TV tray which would then fold back down and hide under a seat? Where there's a will, there's that way: and in my job, I have to come up with goofy engineering fixes all the time. Will work on that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here's what I did for the in/out temp placement. I went to Checker and found a slimline unit. I mounted it under the cruse and TCS buttons. I ran the wire by the steering wheel and I found that the wire that control the drive door windows has a rubber boot that protects the wires and I ran the wire through there and down and above the wheel well and to the engine compartment. I then put the temp probe under the license plate frame and used velcro to secure the wire behind the front grill. Works well for $11.99.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlh2:
MerpsMom
I finally got around to removing the fold down tray in order to see if it would be possible to mount one between the center row seats. Unfortunately, it's a little to wide. I think a fold down tray would be very handy there, it would give them a place for those burgers and fries. Does anyone know if another manufacturer uses a fold down tray that could possibly be used?
PS I put a couple of shots of the tray resting between the seats in my album so you can get an idea of how much to wide it is.
http://www.fototime.com/inv/4223FDFE5FFA950
</font>
If you removed the tray proper from it's mounts and attached it to another base, would it fit then?

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
139 Posts
Not sure Chuck, but it definitely won't fit using the Honda mounting assembly. A custom hinged bracket that put the tray at about the level of the bottom of the arm rests might work.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by dlh2:
Not sure Chuck, but it definitely won't fit using the Honda mounting assembly. A custom hinged bracket that put the tray at about the level of the bottom of the arm rests might work.</font>

The tray's about 9 1/2" wide and the space between the center seats is about 9". I think the seat cushions would compress and a tray removed from the original mounting hardware and mounted on something built for the space would work out. Sounds like a fun project.
I wonder if there any salvaged Odys with ivory interiors... Hmmmm

------------------
Chuck

·
Registered
139 Posts
It does sound like a fun project Chuck. With the tray mounted slightly higher relative to the seat cushions, it might swing thru it's arc with no interference. Guess Trevor could tell us if we can purchase just the tray itself. I'm thinking just a simple hinged bracket on the right side and some sort of catch on the left seat to support the tray in the up position.

·
Registered
251 Posts
okarl, how's the temperature when the vehicle is stopped? I mounted my sensor on the right side or that hole below the grill (the one that looks like the Ody's mouth
). It's fine when the vehicle is in motion, but as soon as I stop for about 2 minutes, it goes up by about 7 to 10 degrees Celcius.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DDakRT
It took trial and error to find a good location. I first tried a location that wasn't influenced by the radiator fan, in the engine compartment, and the temperatures were all over the place. Next I tried inside the engine compartment in front of the fan on the grille. It was better only one or two degrees difference with the engine running. But when I moved it outside the engine compartment behind the license plate frame it worked with little radiant engine heat difference less than one degree.
Good luck.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Try the CRV Tray - same design concept and from memory I think it was much smaller than the Ody.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On your suggestion, I stopped at a dealer's to look. It is definitely smaller---and gray, that's it--just gray.
Anyway, it bolts to the floor, and takes up quite a bit of room. But could still be a possibility if affixed to the seatside. Thanx.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts