Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just driving home from work. As I pulled into the driveway, I heard the slightest belt squeal, the blower fan slowed a bit, and all of the dash lights came on. I popped the hood and had a look. The crank pulley was still spinning, but the alternator and AC weren't. I shut the engine off and looked again. The tensioner is no longer holding tension, the tensioner pully spins freely, and the belt is loose.

Do tensioners just go like that or should I expect to find something else once I'm in there?

·
Registered
953 Posts
It's possible the tensioner just went out on you. Do the alternator and A/C pulleys spin by hand?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I take it back, it looks like there's only one bolt that mounts it to the block. I can't get the belt to tighten for anything. The tensioner is as tensioned as it will go, the alternator is as high as it will go. I put it all back together and it still won't tension the belt. The AC compressor has not come loose, the crank pulley is not loose, it's like the belt stretched. I don't know what happened. I am at a loss for ideas.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All back together.
Fortunately, I save everything so I had another bracket from the last alternator.

·
Registered
953 Posts
At least it was an easy fix. Good job diagnosing it.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
All back together. View attachment 152360 Fortunately, I save everything so I had another bracket from the last alternator. View attachment 152361
NIce pic's and glad you found it. It has been reporter before about that bracket breaking due to over torquing or similar, as far as I can remember recalling. Did anyone remove or adjust those bolts in the past?
Just curious.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I swapped in a junkyard alternator last year. I don't think was an over torqueing issue. I actually think it was the opposite. It looks to me like the lower bolt wasn't tight enough, backed out a little, and let that bracket flex. It looks like the metal fatigued and tore when it was soft enough.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
Thanks for that info.
There is some warning in this NG about tightening 'those' bolts when replacing an alternator, i just can't remember what it was.
Buffalo4

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
Buffalo4
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing