Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an Odyssey touring about 2 weeks ago. On my walk around the vehicle before I left the dealer I noticed a large dent in the hood and an area on the rear bumper cover where the paint was rubbed off and there was a minor crease in the plastic. They played dumb with me and didn't disclose the damage until I found it. They spent 1.5 hours cleaning up the van before I was allowed near it. Do you really think they didn't see the damage? I watched them in the bay going over the van with towels drying every last inch of the car. They said they would throw some touch up paint on the damaged areas in a week or so after I schedule an appointment. I explained to them that it needs more than touch up paint to repair the crease and dent. If I paid $40K for a new car, it had better be in perfect shape. I scheduled my appointment for today. I show up and they have no record of me making an appointment today. No problem, I'll get over that. Now I was talking with my salesman about a Hitch, cooler and harness. He quoted me $358 for the hitch with cooler and $149 for the harness. This sounded like a great deal compared to everywhere else I could find. I thought maybe they were making it up to me from the problems on delivery, afterall they told me they would give me any accessories I wanted at cost for my inconvience. I get to the dealership today and go to order the parts with my salesman at my side and they are telling me that there is a mistake and the $358 was just for the cooler without the hitch. Earlier in the day I sent several emails to my salesman confirming pricing and what it included. I was walking off the lot extremely pissed off because they were not going to honor what I was quoted in writing. He went to talk to the owner and I was apalled at what he offered. He offered to install an aftermarket hitch without a cooler because he said I shouldn't need it, for $500. Are you kidding me? I asked why would he even offer that if that will void my warranty if I am towing without the cooler? I looked at their price sheet and it clearly says "Hitch, cooler" for $358. I can see where the salesman saw that incorrectly but it is printed right there on their paperwork. I have it in email straight from my salesman that the hitch, cooler and harness are $358+$149 and yet they say they will not honor it. I even asked him via email again to explain exactly what that included. What happened to the customer is always right? Before I spread nastyness about this dealership, I am looking for opinions on what others think I should do about this?

Sorry for venting to this forum but I am just looking for opinions.

Honda if you read through these forums, this is how your dealers are treating your customers after they spend $40k on a new vehicle.

·
Registered
380 Posts
But from your post, it sounds like you DID buy the car is that right? Did they fix the dent and crease and all? If they treated me like that I would tell them to give me the money back or a brand new car with all the options that you originally wanted at the agreed upon price.

If not, leave and find another dealer to work with.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I don't like the sound of this dealership, but you gave them the power. If you did a walk around of the van before delivery, why would you take a damaged vehicle?? I'd have told the dealership the vehicle was damaged and asked them to get me an undamaged one or return my money and deposit. I'm not sure why you accepted it??

·
Registered
196 Posts
Fuming

I'm fuming right now reading this. The fact that a dealership tried to pass of a brand new $40K vehicle as new with that type of damage is one of the worst pieces of "stealership" stories ever.

My $0.02: I hope they paid you rebates handsomely or fixed the dent and paintwork before you accepted your vehicle. That being said, your next steps are: (a) post the stealership name, salesperson, manager here on this forum so you can do your best public service announcement and have everyone avoid them at all cost and (b) post your story on Dealer Rater. This is outrageous!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I did purchase the van but I got it in writing that the damaged areas would be fixed. It is getting fixed as we speak. It was the only Black one they had and that was van we worked the deal on. That is not my beef. That was just backround information. My beef is what I was quoted for accessories.

I need to clarify that I refused to sign for the condition of the vehicle when I bought it and they let me take it home with the damage documented.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hope you get your van fixed and get what you were promised by the dealer. I, too, had trouble with the dealer we got our Ody from. But all is well in the end as we got a good price from our trade-in.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Just my 2 cents . . .

If it was me, even with all the Odyssey shortages, I would never take possession of a car that has obvious physical imperfections and/or damage. Even if it gets fixed, I believe it was discussed in striker3636's thread that any repairs would be part of the vehicle's history and could affect it's value and resale down the road.

Anyway, I hope everything works out for you. You can write a detailed review of your experiences in the Deal Stories section.

Dealer Stories - Honda Odyssey Forum : Odyssey Minivan Forums

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Even

I did purchase the van but I got it in writing that the damaged areas would be fixed. It is getting fixed as we speak. It was the only Black one they had and that was van we worked the deal on. That is not my beef. That was just backround information. My beef is what I was quoted for accessories.

I need to clarify that I refused to sign for the condition of the vehicle when I bought it and they let me take it home with the damage documented.
You are a good and even-tempered man sklingb1. Hope the exterior is fixed and you can enjoy the new van! Also, I would definitely go to another dealer (who many not give that ridiculous price for the hitch+cooler), but a deal is a deal, especially "in writing." If the original dealer won't honor the deal they made, who knows how shady they are with other things? Good luck!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I am having problems with my dealer honoring the price they quoted, will Honda Customer Care look into anything that was done on a dealer level?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mistakes happen. If they acknowledge it and apologize then move on. If they didn't acknowledge it as such then take your business elsewhere. Life's too short.

·
Registered
196 Posts
If I am having problems with my dealer honoring the price they quoted, will Honda Customer Care look into anything that was done on a dealer level?
Unless it's egregious and involves something mechanical, technical with the vehicle (like transmission breakdown within a reasonable amount of time, even after the 3-yr warranty), yes: based on some prior experience, Honda corporate may give you the money for the service work. But where it's a sale situation, I doubt it.

·
Banned
728 Posts
If they don't want to honour the price they gave you are you sure you want to buy from them? Maybe you should take your business elsewhere if you can get the price you say you were quoted at another dealership. If not, make the original dealer feel bad and have them throw in some accessories.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
If they don't want to honour the price they gave you are you sure you want to buy from them? Maybe you should take your business elsewhere if you can get the price you say you were quoted at another dealership. If not, make the original dealer feel bad and have them throw in some accessories.
Did you read the post? He already bough the van. He is having trouble with the dealer honoring price quotes for accessories. Why would they "throw in some accessories" when the dispute is over the cost of an accessory in the first place?

·
Banned
728 Posts
Did you read the post? He already bough the van. He is having trouble with the dealer honoring price quotes for accessories. Why would they "throw in some accessories" when the dispute is over the cost of an accessory in the first place?
Correct. I meant to write: Why would you buy a van with damage after a walk around? He got what he asked for. It is your hard earned cash. if you don't like what you see, don't give the dealer the money. I've always written my purchase deals with the following: "Sale subject to vehicle inspection satisfactory to purchaser prior to delivery" and "Vendor warrants that the vehicle has not been damaged in any way and has not been repaired prior to sale".

I'm mystified as to why someone would accept a damaged new vehicle from a dealer and then think he'd get a fair shake on the accessories later. My opinion: Find another dealer. This will only get worse.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
I'm mystified as to why someone would accept a damaged new vehicle from a dealer
Agree 100%. Before signining ANY paperwork, I have the dealer prep the vehicle for delivery, then I go over it with a fine tooth comb. Only when I am completely satisfied do I sign anything.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did not sign for the condition of the vehicle and had them document the damage. Hind sight, the dealer is wondering how I was allowed to leave. I think my trade was wanted. The van was the only one that color within about 600 mile radius and they were not sure when they would get another one. The repairs are being done now. It is no different that if there was some minor damage done on the dealers lot and it was repaired before you bought it. I have worked at dealerships in the past and it is not out of the ordinary to have a car with a ding or dent that is taken care of before it is sold.

FWIW the dealer will not honor the quoted prices on accessories so I took my business elsewehere. I am still dumbfounded as to why the dealer owner offered an aftermarket hitch and said I don't need a cooler.

·
Registered
380 Posts
FWIW the dealer will not honor the quoted prices on accessories so I took my business elsewehere. I am still dumbfounded as to why the dealer owner offered an aftermarket hitch and said I don't need a cooler.
Good for you.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I did not sign for the condition of the vehicle and had them document the damage. Hind sight, the dealer is wondering how I was allowed to leave. I think my trade was wanted. The van was the only one that color within about 600 mile radius and they were not sure when they would get another one. The repairs are being done now. It is no different that if there was some minor damage done on the dealers lot and it was repaired before you bought it. I have worked at dealerships in the past and it is not out of the ordinary to have a car with a ding or dent that is taken care of before it is sold.

I'll tell you why; he is a dishonest bum. And I can see that you talked yourself into buying a new van with damage ("no van around within 600 miles in the same colour"). Were the wheels falling off on your trade? Why didn't you just drive it for another 30 days until they got you another van without damage for you? When I buy a new vehicle, I want a new one, not a repaired one. There will be plenty of time for that once I own it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went in for an EX-L and left with a Touring. There is no way that same deal would be honored when a new one comes in. There are a lot of cars that have minor damage that is either fixed at the plant or at the dealership that you never know about because it has never been titled. I talked myself into making a killer deal on the Touring. The damage is strictly cosmetic and will not hinder the function of the van.

The wheels were not falling off the trade. THey were going to give me $35k for the trade and I doubt I would be able to negotiate that again.

It was a one time deal that I would not be able to get again. For the difference in price if I worked a deal in a month or two, it was worth it for me to take the deal now.

I am happy with the deal and that is all that matters. Once I get the van back I will let you know how the damaged areas look. If it does not look like brand new to me, it will go back.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts