Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize I am new to the forum and have not done a search yet but need some help. 2009 EXL with 32k miles. We had the tires replaced about a month [email protected] Sams Club, Goodyear Assurance. The car is my wifes but a week or so after getting the new tires I noticed a little shudder seemed to be around 45mph. I had her take it back for rebalance. Sure enough they said it needed balance. Then the next week I notice it pulling. Of course they don't do alignments so I have my wife swing by a Tires Plus. They report it is way out. This brings me to today. We are on are family vacation and hit the road bright and early this morning. First off the wheel is not centered but I can live with that. However the shudder is there and seems even worse. No real sign of a pull. Well I cannot take it and decide to reroute and land at a Sams club for lunch to get it looked at. After an hour wait they rebalance and said it was off a little. Well this makes no difference. Now I am halfway to my relaxing vacation with this driving me crazy. So it is really bad above say 40 and actually calms a little above 75. What is left? Warped rotors? I read some things about the tranny, torque converter and some software updates. Any help would be appreciated. 1300 more miles of thus and I may never have feeling in my arms again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Balancing the tires is a two step process from my learning over the past 54K miles and finally confirmed by the Goodyear dealer who missed it when I had Goodyear comfortTreds installed 25K ago. There is a static balance (no rotation of the tire, just defining the heavy side) and then a dynamic balance where it is rotated at highway speed). It took two shops locally for me to have that gem defined.

As for the shake, if the shake occurs continuosly, it is typicaly a tire balance issue, if it shakes when the brakes are lightly applied it could be warped rotors. If the balance is infact good, try rotating the tires front to back and see if it helps the shake. If if does help, the problem could be one or both the tires you have rotated to the backs.

Hope this is of some help.

I apologize I am new to the forum and have not done a search yet but need some help. 2009 EXL with 32k miles. We had the tires replaced about a month [email protected] Sams Club, Goodyear Assurance. The car is my wifes but a week or so after getting the new tires I noticed a little shudder seemed to be around 45mph. I had her take it back for rebalance. Sure enough they said it needed balance. Then the next week I notice it pulling. Of course they don't do alignments so I have my wife swing by a Tires Plus. They report it is way out. This brings me to today. We are on are family vacation and hit the road bright and early this morning. First off the wheel is not centered but I can live with that. However the shudder is there and seems even worse. No real sign of a pull. Well I cannot take it and decide to reroute and land at a Sams club for lunch to get it looked at. After an hour wait they rebalance and said it was off a little. Well this makes no difference. Now I am halfway to my relaxing vacation with this driving me crazy. So it is really bad above say 40 and actually calms a little above 75. What is left? Warped rotors? I read some things about the tranny, torque converter and some software updates. Any help would be appreciated. 1300 more miles of thus and I may never have feeling in my arms again.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Was it a road force balance?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm... While you're talking about "new tires", last time I experienced something like you're describing, I had separated cords in a tire...

I also experienced issues with my last van because I had to use spacers to move the wheel's out a bit to clear the caliper's... and that would cause the wheels to not center properly, which also would create that sort of effect... the wheel not being centered properly can net you something akin to a tire being out of balance... when you're talking about a wheel being off-center, are you talking steering wheel? or a wheel with a tire on it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sorry, yes I meant the steering wheel. Thanks for the advice.
This would be a function of the alignment... (they should have centered your steering wheel during that process... )

I physically had wheels being off center because of the spacers I had to use...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Drdon -

I have been having the EXACT same issue since I got new tires back in Feb. I had my tires Road Force Balanced today and the vibration is gone! I highly recommend that service! I paid $100 and it was a bargain!

Hope this helps you!

Scott

·
Registered
445 Posts
Drdon -

I had the same problem when I installed a set of Toyo Versados 3 years ago. I had to go back to the dealer 6 times to re-balance the tires using a road force tire balancer. Unfortunately I still had a vibration at highway speeds. Just last year I started swapping my summers with winters when it started getting cold. Then in the spring when I swapped back to my Toyos I noticed that the vibration was gone.

The only change is that I swapped them and used a high-quality Torque wrench. I torqued the wheels to 95ft-lb.

The morale of the story ... make sure that they torque the wheel nuts to 95ft-lbs. Nuts that are torqued too high can also cause wheel vibration. Some tire shops and dealers just use the torque gun and torque everything to 100ft-lbs - regardless of specs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts