Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a 14-17 Odyssey. Recently test drove one and noticed a couple issues. I pay very close attention to the engine and mechanics during the test drive and I'm thinking I might be superstitious lol. The van was mostly good in acceleration. However, I noticed a few times that it wasn't smooth and almost felt like a jagged line if you will. I also noticed that the steering wheel would sometimes visibly shake during deceleration if I let go for a second. Am I just being spooked or do these sound like real issues (perhaps transmission and wheel alignment)? FYI: I've decided against the van anyways so not concerned about losing this one.

I've only driven one other Odyssey and didn't notice that. But it was a family member's and I wasn't really paying attention.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, tough to answer this without being there, but here are some thoughts.

My van accelerates smoothly with no hesitations/hiccups, etc., but I have the VCM Tuner on it since about 20K miles. Shuddering and other issues can occur if not muzzled, see the big VCM thread. This depends on mileage of course so any van with higher mileage that is not muzzled can start to show issues.

Steering wheel shaking during deceleration suggests worn components, could be something simple. May also be a tire issue or alignment could be off, many possibilities here probably not a major problem.

You may want to have a van inspected at a local shop, probably looking at an hour or so of labor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a very trustworthy local mechanic, relied upon by the family for years. I think I'll find the model I want and take it there before purchase.

Are dealers typically accepting of that? I would basically have to take the car for a few hours to do that. Do any push for deposits, etc.?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yo-yo ing acceleration sounds like normal
Oem behavior that can easily be addressed. Most likely vcm transition from 3 to 6 cylinders and back. Also, van is hard on transmission fluid which can also make acceleration a little harder/delayed. Minor /easy maintenance.

Vibration on decel/off gas could also be worn tires. Have had vibration like that from old tires. Van is also very hard on tires and typically wears them out in 20000 miles, so they are that much or higher new tires should make it go away. When I bought mine used with 26k miles the van was darting all over the freeway, which turned out to be bad tires.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I'm looking for a 14-17 Odyssey. Recently test drove one and noticed a couple issues. I pay very close attention to the engine and mechanics during the test drive and I'm thinking I might be superstitious lol. The van was mostly good in acceleration. However, I noticed a few times that it wasn't smooth and almost felt like a jagged line if you will. I also noticed that the steering wheel would sometimes visibly shake during deceleration if I let go for a second. Am I just being spooked or do these sound like real issues (perhaps transmission and wheel alignment)? FYI: I've decided against the van anyways so not concerned about losing this one.

I've only driven one other Odyssey and didn't notice that. But it was a family member's and I wasn't really paying attention.
At what speed does the "jagged acceleration" occur?

Both my Gen 3 and Gen 4 got/get a little funky if you try to maintain a steady speed right around the 26 - 28 MPH spot. I've heard other Ody owners mention the same thing.

Both vehicles were/are muzzled.

Reactions: Azdude

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,922 Posts
Are dealers typically accepting of that? I would basically have to take the car for a few hours to do that. Do any push for deposits, etc.?
Doesn't hurt to ask. Sometimes they may want a dealer rep to ride with you to the mechanic shop.

It's been a while since I bought a car the traditional way, so I can't really speak on how it is these days. My last purchase was through Carvana and the inspection process was way smoother and simpler.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At what speed does the "jagged acceleration" occur?

Both my Gen 3 and Gen 4 got/get a little funky if you try to maintain a steady speed right around the 26 - 28 MPH spot. I've heard other Ody owners mention the same thing.

Both vehicles were/are muzzled.
It was all under 35 mph. It actually ran better when I kind of floored it 0-45.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like you have noticed the vcm kicking on (3cyl) and off (6cyl)-oem behavior. (Edit:it’s operating normal per design). Running better when floored is all 6cyl. Get a vcm muzzled and always run 6 cylinder all The time
Yea that's what I was curious about. If it was just VCM or if it was an actual issue with the transmission. I'm spooked partially because my current Rogue transmission was just replaced under warranty.

I didn't notice the issue in the other Odyssey I drove, but I wasn't paying close attention. I'll go test drive another one.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
3,112 Posts
It was all under 35 mph. It actually ran better when I kind of floored it 0-45.
Likely just needs a trans fluid change (or 3x). Shaking on acceleration could be axles or front end bushings (most likely axles). Both fixable, but not ideal.

-Charlie

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
246 Posts

Just like how Charlie expressed in the reply. ...The shuddering might relate generally or specifically to worn out lower control arms, inner or outer tie rod wear, and cv axle wear. On my 3rd Odyssey I had the symptom of shacking-while-accelerating and the issue related to worn out cv-axles, in which the boots were leaking grease.... and ended replacing those parts.. Also, I don't know if this goes on with 4th generation Odysseys, but as far as the braking is concerned, on the 3rd generation I drive, after replacing the front disk brakes twice, the thing continues with the shaking-when-braking 3 to 4 months after the replacement. I don't know what other measure might stop this problem with the shaking-while-braking, which I doubt there is none, other than to possibly get a set of different wheels with more-spaced-out spokes to get move ventilation into the disk brakes. Or maybe I need to replace the callipers and get a fluid brake flush done at a good mechanic.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yea that's what I was curious about. If it was just VCM or if it was an actual issue with the transmission. I'm spooked partially because my current Rogue transmission was just replaced under warranty.

I didn't notice the issue in the other Odyssey I drove, but I wasn't paying close attention. I'll go test drive another one.
Would be good to know what mileage vans you are driving, as could inform if there is more suspension/driveline stuff is going.

For most part, sounds like put vcm defeat device on, change transmission fluid and probably new tires.

As far as mileage, I’m just over 100k and work mine towing and lots of heavily loaded cross country touring. My axles are wearing a bit and I can feel light vibration while light on the gas when first launching from a stop.

A quick. mechanic’s inspection probably be good for piece of mind knowing there are some design defects easily addressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm a two-foot driver - left foot brake pedal, right foot gas pedal. I had been in the habit of oftentimes still touching the brake pedal when accelerating from a stop. If I do that the acceleration hesitates badly, then clears up as soon as I move my left foot away from the pedal. I had to change my driving habit of touching the brake pedal and now my 2012 accelerates fine.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
5,922 Posts
I'm a two-foot driver - left foot brake pedal, right foot gas pedal. I had been in the habit of oftentimes still touching the brake pedal when accelerating from a stop. If I do that the acceleration hesitates badly, then clears up as soon as I move my left foot away from the pedal. I had to change my driving habit of touching the brake pedal and now my 2012 accelerates fine.
I feel bad for your pads and rotors...

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Would be good to know what mileage vans you are driving, as could inform if there is more suspension/driveline stuff is going.

For most part, sounds like put vcm defeat device on, change transmission fluid and probably new tires.
Indeed! Things are quite sloppy around here with very basic information. EVERY post needs to disclose the year, model, and current miles (km). Even ones of only drove for 15 minutes. What is likely to be wrong with them is directly related to the above requested information.

A couple of years ago, deep in the pandemic, I bought an absolute creampuff lease return from a Honda dealer.
a 2015 with less than 24k and service records. Certified pre-owned (useless beyond the warranty extension. Dealers don't do shit but fill out a checklist.I've bought two and they don't even clear the previous owners address book)

Here is what I had to do to that van:
Replace the front rotors & pads (Centric coated rotors and Akebono pads)
Install a VCM disable device (I used a VCM tuner with the dial, never changed it from the default)
Had my dealer update the transmission software and do a couple of fluid changes. ( I paid for the fluid, software was free, I'm due for another fluid change, at 48k now)

This was the minimum necessary and should probably be considered essential for any 2011-2017 used Odyssey.
I haul shit a lot and also had Airlift air bags installed. Individual schrader valves (no T) This has been a highly recommended mod around here since 1999. I had to bring my independent mechanic new spring seats, a known failure item. The bags squeeked and the dealer tech sprayed them with silicone for me. It shut them up. The dealer blew me off on the service bulletin about the front squeak caused by the upper strut mounts. They did something to quiet it down a little. My mechanic changed the parts this spring while I was out of town. I can now go over speed bumps in a parking lot without sounding like a 1964 T bird.

We used to have a local call in Radio Car Show here in SoCal. Their advise was to keep $500. of your budget for repairs on any used car. That would be $1000. To $1500. now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
We used to have a local call in Radio Car Show here in SoCal. Their advise was to keep $500. of your budget for repairs on any used car. That would be $1000. To $1500. now. (Quote)
Remember, you're going to a Honda store. You might be smart to take your coffee with you when you go. To drink theirs makes everything more expensive. It makes them very nice, but very greedy.

·
Registered
626 Posts

How many miles on the car? If high miles, probably worn components. I would check the front end as well as the driveshafts paying particular attention to the CV joint boots. Changing the drivers side driveshaft is pretty easy. The passenger side is MUCH harder due to the center bearing support being difficult to remove with the shaft in place and the bearing being difficult to remove.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have a very trustworthy local mechanic, relied upon by the family for years. I think I'll find the model I want and take it there before purchase.

Any dealer that would not let you do that is not one you want to do business with.

·
Registered
14,832 Posts
Remember, you're going to a Honda store. You might be smart to take your coffee with you when you go. To drink theirs makes everything more expensive. It makes them very nice, but very greedy.
You think that's bad, try an Acura dealer. While I tend to agree with you, software updates cannot be had elsewhere.
We started going to the dealer now & then when our "trusted" independent Honda mechanic wanted to change the
coolant at the first 30k service on our 2003 Odyssey. That dealer did a few repairs for free over the years. They also
got Honda to pay for 1/2 of a transmission replacement when that van had 160k on it. So I still throw them a bone now & then. We now have a son-in-law who is a service manager at an independent shop, so all regular maintenance
gets done there. But modern vehicles have modern electronics. The last three we had have needed and benefited greatly from software updates. Not to mention recalls. The coffee is kind of meh, but at least it's a Nepresso and not a Kurig, there is only so low I will go.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts