Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in at my local Honda dealer to test drive a 2002 they got in last week (the salesmans invitation). When I finally got there the salesman that I had ordered my 2002 SS Ex from was off. I looked at the back of the dealers lot and there they were........5 brand new Odyssey's fresh off the truck, including my SS Ex. Grabbed another salesman for a set dealer plates and key's. The only one he said which I could drive was the one which had arrived last Friday because it had been PDI'ed. No problem, quick look in my 2002 and off for a drive in the MB 2002. When I was pulling back into the lot after a 15 minute test (alone......) I noticed another salesman hanging a dealer plate on MY odyssey; no dealer inspection, factory gas, fresh off the truck. Can the dealer do this? I guess it's his vehicle till I pay for after dealer inspection, but I somehow feel violated. Should I jump on the salesman and dealership or let it pass as a normal course of buying a car?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would be upset as well. No telling how he drove it to test it out. Most test drives they want to see where the car's limits are and not follow the break-in guidelines. Plus, if it gets dinged, they'll fix it and you might not see paint fading differences til later.

·
Registered
62 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by HabsFan:
I stopped in at my local Honda dealer to test drive a 2002 they got in last week (the salesmans invitation). When I finally got there the salesman that I had ordered my 2002 SS Ex from was off. I looked at the back of the dealers lot and there they were........5 brand new Odyssey's fresh off the truck, including my SS Ex. Grabbed another salesman for a set dealer plates and key's. The only one he said which I could drive was the one which had arrived last Friday because it had been PDI'ed. No problem, quick look in my 2002 and off for a drive in the MB 2002. When I was pulling back into the lot after a 15 minute test (alone......) I noticed another salesman hanging a dealer plate on MY odyssey; no dealer inspection, factory gas, fresh off the truck. Can the dealer do this? I guess it's his vehicle till I pay for after dealer inspection, but I somehow feel violated. Should I jump on the salesman and dealership or let it pass as a normal course of buying a car?</font>
So how did the test drive go. Did the acceleration feel lively with the additional horses and 5 speed tranny?? Did it feel any different than the 2001 if you ever test drove one of those. Please tell!!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I'd at least indicate to the dealer that I was quite upset
!

When I was still shopping for a vehicle I couldn't find any dealer with a demo. Two dealers showed me vehicles waiting to be prep'd or delivered. In each case, the salesman talking to me made a point to get permission from the selling salesman before unlocking the doors for me.

Mel

·
Registered
564 Posts
Oooh. I'd be WAY upset. Every time I go for a drive with a salesman, they always ask me to floor it to feel the "pickup." And this on cars with about six miles on the clock.

- Darell

------------------
"Some people say you can't take it with you. I'm taking it with me."
Future: 2002 EXL-NAV, TW (with RES wanted!)
Current: 2001 Civic EX, silver
Leaving: 2001 Volvo V70 T5, white/graphite

·
Registered
478 Posts
HabsFan-seems like you're the first one to drive the '02 Ody! So tell us what it's like! Can you compare it to an '01? I agree with you, I wouldn't want some sales rep racing around in MY new Ody!

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would be very upset that I was told I couldn't drive it and then see someone else getting ready to drive it. Also, you don't know how it was driven, as mentioned by others. I would have went up to the salesperson attaching the plate and asked what was going on. They may still have the title to it but you put a downpayment on it, and that should say hands off to salesmen and other customers. Maybe you can get some free oil changes or something out of it.

Good luck, and tell us about your test drive of the '02!!

------------------
Lanny
2K1 EX MB

·
Registered
72 Posts
Habsfan,
If I were certain that my so long awaited Ody was being used as everyone's guiney pig test drive I would definetely consider getting a written apology from the dealer or some sort of compensation for such.
Dealers should have their own TEST Ody and not use peoples Ody's as test vehicles for other potential customers to mis-use abuse.
Again if you do know indeed that your Ody was being used as a test drive vehicle then get in your pants and do something about it.(I asume you have the VIN of the vehicle to proof that it was your ODy that was being tested by "others".
Also they have added some miles to it as well . So get some sort of compensation for the damage and hard feeling they caused.

Remember "The squikie wheel is the one that gets the grease"

ody-ranger

·
Registered
10 Posts
Maybe a little reality is needed here?

HabsFan,

So your salesman invited you to test drive a newly arrived 2002. Yours is on the lot but hasn't been PDI'd, so you are given the keys to the only one that is and go for a 15 min test drive "alone". I'm sure that you drove it like it had an egg under the gas pedal. I'm also gonna go out on a limb here and guess that it had already been sold to another customer.

IMHO the ultimate blame lies with your salesman for inviting you to test drive the '02. But you are not far behind, by taking the test drive you really don't have any basis for complaining or feeling the way you do.

To all the people who think HabsFan should get something extra from the dealer, besides an apology, imagine the van test drove by HabsFan was the one with your name on it.

My dealer purchased the first one to arrive for the dealership to prevent your situation from happening, at the time I didn't think to much about it. Now, after this thread I think it was great idea.

Still, for improvement to happen, the dealer needs to know how you, as the customer, feels about what happened. It may not make you feel any better, but may prevent it from happening to future OdyClub members.

I hope I don't raise to much ire from this post, its just my $.02 (after the market last week it may not be worth that much)

Cornfed

GG-RES (3 more weeks)

·
Registered
182 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cornfed:
To all the people who think HabsFan should get something extra from the dealer, besides an apology, imagine the van test drove by HabsFan was the one with your name on it.
</font>
I agree with most of what you said, and thought about it before I had replied to his post. What caught my attention is that HabsFan was told he couldn't drive "his" van, then someone else could. If it wasn't PDI'ed no one should have drove it. I know when I was looking at the '01s the salesman wouldn't even let me sit in one that was already sold. The dealer let me drive his personal Ody. I (we) don't know if the one HabsFan dove was sold or not, but probably was. It could have been sold to an OdyClub member that has their name on two or more because they can't make up their mind on which color they want!

·
Registered
37 Posts
HabsFan-So sorry to hear about your Habs captain being diagnosed with cancer. Hope he responds well to treatment and fully recovers.

------------------
2000 Acura Nighthawk Black Pearl TL
1993 Ford Explorer

·
Registered
78 Posts
When I bought our last car (Accord), I was given the option of having the shipping materials left in tact. That way it wouldn't be available for test drives.

As soon as I get my VIN, I'll request the same for our Ody...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts