Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've got a coil failing intermittently, van will start running badly & then ok. Occassionally it will idle rough at start-up & then clear up too.
Is there a way to test these coils?
TIA,
Rick

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
A bum coil should trip the engine light for a misfire code. No CEL on? Possibly a bad tank of gas.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the CEL on for 2 days, then put into an almost full tank a bottle of Chevron Techron. Next day the CEL went away. This was last week. The code was P0420, thought it was the O2 sensor or EGR valve or passages stopped up. I'm still going to get gaskets & clean out the passages & valve, also going to buy a coil to put in the vehicle as a spare. Bernardiparts.com sells them for $39.10 each. Cheap insurance if one fails while out on the road!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Check EGR first

1. Check the EGR first, common problem.

2. To check ignition coil, review this:
http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us20406.htm

Always look up the resistance specifications for the coils you are testing because the numbers vary considerably depending on the application. The Honda dealer tech dept may be able to give you the specifications.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Intrepid,
I may not use him again. The timing belts, etc cost me almost twice his verbal estimate & took 3 times longer. I don't think he used all honda parts either. There's a couple guys up in Roswell that I'll probably use next time instead. I found them by using a google search for foreign car mechanics & dogpile yellow-page search.

·
Registered
11 Posts
testing Ignition Coils

Drat! I've had my 2004 about a week now. Thought I'd hit the insider's track. They are a gazillion shops in Dectur/Emory. Can't wait to see what the cabin filter looks like :)
Thanks!

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
rickthefix said:
The code was P0420, thought it was the O2 sensor or EGR valve or passages stopped up.
P0420 Catalytic System Efficiency Below Threshold - check O2 sensors and catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
[QUOTE = "mjody, publicación: 350185, miembro: 32049"]
Una bobina quemada debería disparar la luz del motor por un código de falla. ¿No hay CEL activado? Posiblemente un tanque de gasolina defectuoso.
[/CITAR]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts