Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to thank all the great forum members here for all their knowledgeable advice on all aspects of taking care of the 2nd generation Odyssey. I also wanted to post about how much I enjoy owning and driving our 2002 EX-L which just passed it's ten-year in-service date. We took delivery new on 11/22/2001 and we just passed 172K miles on a roundtrip to Disneyworld last week. Around the MAR, it is still common to see lots of 2nd gen Odys, including 99-01's so many are now >10 years old and still running. Most minivans are probably like ours and see a lot of hard thankless use hauling around young children and all their detritus and despite the transmission issues, I still love this car. For my three kids, it's the only car they have ever known and they still prefer to ride in the old girl over our newer Acura TSX and Honda Fit. Two of them came home from the hospital in her after they were born. Our Ody has taken us to 45 states and four Canadian provinces and never left us stranded. This summer with 159K already on the clock, she carried my two boys and I on a 9684 mile, 19 day journey around the USA without a breakdown despite being fully loaded with camping gear and roof boxes. Though DVD players are now common, this was the first car in the USA to have one factory installed when we first got it and it still plays just fine. She has also been a great teacher to me and my boys about doing automotive maintenance work as we have replaced brakes, suspension, motor mounts, and filters and we have drained and swapped every drop of every type of fluid that runs through her.

If she can last though delivering my kids to college, I'll be totally thrilled. No reason at this point to think she won't make it

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Ours looks like crap on the outside, dents, scratches, etc.. But it is our warrior and I am in the same boat, just survive till the kids get to college in 7 years. Even though it had 250,000km it always our first choice when both kids are with us. Warts and all, still the best van made 10 years ago.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
We've had ours for almost 8 years, almost as long as the 3 Caravans we had put together. We haven't owned any other car this long. I just replaced an O2 sensor and it appears the rear motor mount is bad. Otherwise it's been very good to us and we still enjoy driving it. My oldest is in college and youngest is a freshman in high school so it needs to last a few more years. Aside from some scratches and a small easily fixed patch of surface rust, the body still looks great. Pretty amazing for a car that's almost 12 years old living in the rust belt. The Chryslers & Fords of similar vintage seem to be Flintstone cars now. There's still a huge amount of Gen2 Ody's around here.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ill 2nd this. Even though I am the 2nd owner of my van, at 12yrs old, and 204,000, it runs strong, drives smooth and the kids love it! I'm in central ky, and there are a ton of 2nds driving around, can't beat it for the price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
We have an 04 with 147000 miles bought new 9-04. Only replaced a door module at 90k. No other problems other than reg maintence. Have been looking at buying a new vehicle but keep thinking why? The ody looks great, runs great. People say that they would be scared to have a vehicle with so many miles but if it blew a trans today I would still say it was a great vehicle. Need to replace my second set of tires soon and just replaced the back shocks. It has taken us to Disney world 4 times and will be going again in 2012. I keep telling my wife we will get a new vehicle when the ody dies. We keep waiting. Great van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We got our 2002 EX-L in September 2001, and with mixed emotions sold it just before Christmas, to a younger cousin just starting her family. While sad to see it go, it was cool to see another baby seat installed after several years, and another branch of our family driving off toward their home. It was a great van for us, and there's no reason it won't be a great van for them.
Saturday we pick up a new EX-L, and I hope it continues the tradition....
2002 Odyssey Dec 15 2011.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wow. We are aging out with our kids also. They are 9 and 7. Both have only know our ody as the only car they have really been in. I guess we all go through this. Ha Ha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts