Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so the head unit makes 10 to 15 watts/chn rms.

Why are the 1695's so much better than the factory speakers, does it come down to efficiency.????? This is really confusing me, because everyone is posting how great the 1695's are, but at 10 to 15 watts/channel?? That is not that much power.

Second question, what does the speaker wiring harness adapter do exactly (technically)?? Does it change to an RCA plug??

thanks again shin, darrell?? and others

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS, I've already ordered a first set of 1695's for the front based on reading your technical replies, you guys know your sh!t.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Efficiency isn't the main issue. It comes down to sound quality, and the measures associated with it: better frequency response and dynamic range. Then the subjective measures: clarity, fullness of sound, imaging, sound stage, etc...
Bottom line, it sounds better.

Why? well, first it has a separate high frequency driver. Upper end response in the factory speakers is quite paltry. The horn in the 1695 offers excellent dispersion, and a very natural, "open" sound. The factory door speakers just don't reproduce these, and the dash tweeters, IMHO are useless.

Next, bass response is better. Now, at lower volumes, the factory door speaks perform OK for bass, but turn it up, and they bottom out (reach their excursion limit) and sound terrible. Probably the single biggest complaint with the factory setup among Ody owners. Of course the head unit is a little underpowered, but for most, that's not a huge deal; the speakers are definitey the bottle neck in the chain here. If you read back in one of my previous posts, I made the observation that after switching to aftermarket speakers, I was actually able to get the factory head unit to compress significantly at high volumes, something that doesn't really happen with the factory speaks since people usually stop turning the knob after the speakers start to distort due to their inherent mechanical limits.

Then I could talk about log scales for dB, how you need 10X power for 2X loudness (+10dB SPL) etc... blah blah, but I think you get the picture.

The speaker harness adaptor converts the proprietary Honda speaker connector to standard spades that can be plugged into most aftermarket speaker terminals. They are right at the speaker end of the chain. Check out Chuck's picture gallery, he has pics of the adaptor. Look in the thread below by darell to see pics of what the Honda connector looks like.

Good luck, hope this helps.

-SJ

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
The speaker wiring harness adaptor has push-on connectors on one end to fit the male tabs on the 1695 speaker, and a Honda compatible connector plug on the other end, to fit the existing Honda plug coming from the head unit. You can use the push-on connectors, or cut them off and solder that end to the male speaker tabs, if you choose.

From my point of view, the 1695 speakers are two way, constructed of better materials and have a much bigger magnet, but Shinjohn will have to give you the technical reasons.

------------------
2002 TW EX; Weathertechs; Splash; 4X Pioneer 1695's w/ Blaupunkt Casablanca head unit; Hella Supertone Horns; Hitch w/ Transmission & Power Steering Coolers; 2001 Five-spoke Alloy Wheels.
2000 Honda CBR 929 RR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts