Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, off I want to thank everyone on these forums for all their contributions and advice. I don't post much, but I read a lot.

I picked up my MB 2002 LX yesterday from Majestic Honda in RI. The drive back to CT was 100 miles, so I got a chance to draw some initial impressions (after a full day it now has 180 miles). In no particular order.

Transmission is fantastic - you do not feel the first three shifts at all, the only way to tell is via the tach - talk about smooooth. The 4-5 shift is noticeable, but still smooth.

Engine power is better then I thought, and I haven't explored the right side of the tach at all ;-) Certainly feels peppier than the 2001 I test drove in July.

Ride - Was very quiet, but really nothing to gauge it against, all my test drives on Toyota, Nissan, Chrysler vans were back in July - My other car is a 96 Tbird, and it's at least as quiet as that, and the suspension seems about the same on the rough and bumps (and I liked the Tbird with it's full 4 wheel independent suspension a lot)

Power/traction - yesterday and this morning had rain, and even going easy on the pedal activated the TCS at some stop lights, especially when turning. That's a bit of a concern, but I'm reading thru the manual and notice that you can shift in D2 and the transmission will start out in second from a stop, so I"ll be checking that out when the snow falls. FWIW, the tires are Bridgestone Potenzas - The EXs' I saw at the dealers had Goodyear and the tread pattern seem a little more aggressive.

Minor complaints - not many, but I think the horn is wimpy, sounds like it belongs on a Civic (no offense intended to you Civic owners) and the antenna has got to go (the change to the stumpy/shorty seems to be what I will go to), it looks cheap and whips too much for me.

My buying experience was pretty good, I did it all over the web, paid MSRP etc. Talked to the salesman for a total of 4 minutes over the phone, showed up yesterday, did the paper work details and was in and out in less then 45 minutes.

I ended up financing thru the dealer. Again, thanks to everyone here, I did do a fair bit of shopping around. Peoplefirst had the best initial rate at 6.24, the dealer started at 6.99, but came down to 5.99. Went back to Peoplefirst and they beat that, went back to the dealer and they matched (thru a bank, not Honda Credit). 5.89 is where it ended up.

I'm really looking forward to hauling the family (2 boys, 12 and 16 yrs old) and a really big mutt (and of course my wife, who thinks I'm a bit obsessed about the whole Ody thing). We will be using it for everyday use, some boat towing (about 3000 lbs) and based on the latest events, some road trips. It'll be a nice change from stuffing everyone in the 2 door Tbird (did I mention the dog was really big - 80lbs and growing!)

I still plan to lurk here (when I'm not out driving around) but wanted to share a little and say Thanks.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey, thanks for checking in...and for providing your initial impressions. I'm thrilled that you like it so much.

As for the wimpy horn: I have a Civic, and all I can tell you is that the Ody is TWICE as good in that department. More specifically, the two cars share the same horn hardware, but where the Ody has two units, the Civic only has one. I'll probably find a place to buy a bunch of quality horns in bulk, pull both front bumpers off and plug in some SOUND.

I too, am planning on doing the S2000 antenna "upgrade."

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered
2001 Civic EX

·
1,484 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear you're enjoying your brand new Ody. BTW, can you tell me if you can activate that "wimpy" horn by just pressing the top corners of the airbag? I've asked this questions several times but it seems like most of you 2002ers are in "lurk" mode. Don't by shy!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nemogira:
Don't be shy!

</font>

Yeah. Be horny.
For Nestor, I mean.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 09-21-2001).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
"FWIW, the tires are Bridgestone Potenzas - The EXs' I saw at the dealers had Goodyear and the tread pattern seem a little more aggressive."

The 2002 I saw at our local dealer had Michelin's on it? How many manufacturers are they using?

P

·
0 Posts
I've got a Civic too, and its horn sounds like a dying giraffe. But if you REALLY want to hear a whimpy horn, check out a mid-80s Toyota LE van. We've got one (about to be dammed into storage HAHAHAHA) and its horn is kind of like unnnnnnhhhhhhhh!

Can't wait until our Ody comes in! I'm sure that everything on it will be an improvement (keep in mind that our newest car is a 1990, and I drive the '95 Civic).

Glad you like your van!

Michelle

------------------

Phoenix (gone, but not forgotten) & Belle (aka Belzebub)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regaring the horn activation - works pressing any of the 4 corners and directly in the center......

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nemo, you finally got your answer! Bravo. But i"m lost here. What is the purpose of having the alarm (horn) go off by pressing on the seat? I don't get it.

------------------
Tom
2002 RP EXL-RES Soon!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nestor,

Just curious.... I note that you have asked that question about activating the horn several times. Why is that so important?

Don

·
Registered
564 Posts
Hey Nestor ....

Get off your horn, buddy. Now we're all interested - What the heck is going on with your mysterious airbag-corner horn-blowing?

Put us out of our misery!

(funny guy, tomhan)

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 09-23-2001).]

·
1,484 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa...I was just genuinely curious, that's all! I know the Sienna and some of the Acura airbags activated the horn in the same cool way. Those pressing points can be VERY convenient at times.

Man, you ask one question and everybody thinks your planning some great-spectacular mod! What am I? A mod god or something? Oh...right.

-Nestor

P.S. Thanks to Activator22 for answers my question.

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
564 Posts
What? No thanks for the high-brow humor from tomhan and myself? That stuff doesn't grow on trees ya know...

Heck, I'm STILL laughing at my "horny" comment. I just crack myself up sometimes.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
564 Posts
Nestor -

First off, I'm almost afraid to meet you at the gathering now. I can just imagine the image you must have in your mind of me.

explaining humor always sort of ruins it...but just in case I can make a BIGGER fool of myself, here I go:

humor #1: I believe our friend tomhan's comment was in regard to the fact that for 2002, we now have airbags in the seat (as well as in the steering wheel), thus he joked about "pressing the edge" of the *seat* airbag when you were obviously asking about the steering wheel airbag. And, of course, I'm only guessing that he was joking since I had nothing to do with that little comment.

humor #2: This one is more tricky, so stay with me. You were commenting about wanting 2002 owners to not be shy, and wanting your *horn* question answered. So I, with no regard to my personal safety, jumped in there and asked people to be less shy and more *horny* (a play on your horn question, you see). Then I worried about what others might think of ME, so I made sure they understood they were to answer YOUR horn question, thus being "horny for Nestor." - And my guess is that if anybody chimed in as being horny for you, that individual would NOT be shy, and you could quickly get your answers...

Make sense now?

Didn't think so. Sorry.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darelldd:
Nestor -

First off, I'm almost afraid to meet you at the gathering now. I can just imagine the image you must have in your mind of me.

</font>
No need to imagine! When you see this next month, you know you're in the right place!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Yeah...thanks Michael. I guess. Man, there's nothing scarier than seeing your own goofy mug surprising you in a thread!

Whatcha been doing poking around my volvo site? If anybody's interested, this is what I did to my last $40,000 car in the first couple of weeks of ownership. Don't think I'll mod my Odyssey? Think again

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 09-25-2001).]

·
Registered
329 Posts
Well, see you opened yourself up to it. When you first came on board here you gave out your website and Jim had posted that pic of you.

Everything becomes fair game!

·
1,484 Posts
LOL!
Now I get it! Thanks for the explanation. Hmm...I usually pick-up on jokes like these pretty quickly. Although Tom's joke was sorta of an "inside" joke for you 2002ers...seat airbags? Not on MY 2000. I guess I have to stick to telling 2000 jokes...

Joke: In the year 2000, a Priest and a Rabbi walk into an Ody...and that's why the chicken crossed the road! Haaahahahahaha!
Ahhhh, I crack myself up sometimes. We're going to have a lot of fun at the meet. I just know it!

-Nestor

------------------

2000 CCS EX-NAVI

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Everything becomes fair game!
[/B]</font>
Yeah, no kidding! Yikes. I never saw Jim putting the shot up. Wonder what else has been going on behind my back ????

Well, it's a good thing I'm so pretty. That's all I have to say.

Activator22 - Sorry about steering your thread wildly off course. Seems every thread I chime in on veers radically like this. Must be strange a coincidence.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX

1 - 20 of 21 Posts