Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Controversy? Who needs that.

I’ve since edited this thread to keep focus on just one thing: the best tire you can get for the Honda Odyssey.

If there was ever any controversy in this thread, it was only in regards to the 100s (1000s?) of opinions out there on what tires to get. Of course I’m no different. But I do believe that safety is more important than the best deal or comfort level when it comes to tires.

Therefore, in my view the best tire is the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred. You can see its Passenger All-Season rating at http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=AS.

The main complaint I’ve heard from people is that the aggressive tread can add to the noise level in the cabin. In my experience, being that I’m in a minivan with kids and all, I don’t see the marginal noise increase to be of any concern whatsoever. Again, the safety factor – how the tire performs in rain and on ice and snow – is far more important.

I am very satisfied with this tire. All the best with your tire shopping.

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
How does it deal with Canadian winter? Have on 07 EX Ody and have new Firestone Destination LE on it (dealer put them on prior to purchase).

Was/am using Nokian WRG2 and Conti ExtremeContact DWS on my 2 Saab 9-5 wagons and they were fabulous all season tires (as good in snow as Blizzaks and thats saying something, while retaining fantastic summer performance).

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had the Goodyear Fortera Tripletred on my leased '07 Ody. They were awesome. Similar to the Assurance but the tread seemed to continue onto the sidewall giving it a very aggressive look. According to tirerack.com, the Assurance can handle light snow while the Fortera's can handle deep snow. I loved those tires, they lasted a whole season, then I traded in the Ody with the OE tires and kept the Triples. I recently sold them through this forum, still had more rubber than some new tires.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I like and have always used the Kuhmo Solus KR21's. Have had them on 3 different cars and a set on the Ody right now. I love 'em, good tread wear, not to soft or too hard. Cuts road noise down big time, when I bought my ody used it had Bridgestone Duelers on it. Wow, might as well of been super swampers. I put the KR21's on and big difference!

I have bought every set off of tirerack.com and have them installed at my local NTB store. Can't beat 'em for the price and the reviews that they get. Kuhmo Solus KR21's :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 on Goodyear Assurance TripleTread. Had them for about 4 weeks, and driven roughly 2500miles. They're excellent all season tires, but can not compare to dedicated snow tires on snow/ice ( not that anyone claim they do ).

They're a bit noisy, but it really depends on the road surface. On slick asphalt they're dead silent, but on rough concrete, it's hard to have a conversation in the car.

We get about 5 days of snow a year, tons of rain, and a bit of sun, so for PNW weather, it's an excellent choice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Another vote for Nokian WR G2's, or the original WR's...both are great tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the post. I am considering BFG triple treads for my 09 ODY EX-L. The stock Michelin Energy LX4's are very worn at 17K miles, yes I check tire pressure and rotate regularly. I had Michelin Hydroedge's on my 02 ODY EX (sold) even though they did not make them in the exact size recommended (went a with a slightly lower rating) and Hydroedge's on my 05 CRV EX (still have). Very happy with the tires on both in all respects except noise.

The reason I am considering Triple Tread instead of Hydroedge is that the recommended tire for my 09 ODY is 235/65/R16 (comes in TT) and Hydroedge closest is 235/60/R16 a small difference and which I disregarded with my 02 ODY. I guess I am more nervous in my old age from warranty and liability issues. I note that COSTCO had a sign at one time that they wouldn't install a tire less than the recommended rating.

The BFG triple tread (TT) seems to get good marks but I think that a specific tire's performance (noise, wear, handling etc) is dependent on the suspension and steering characteristics of a particular auto. Since the 2009 ODY has, I believe, a softer steering than previous years I would like to see some comments on TT PERFORMANCE on the 09 ODY (or reference to a search item).

When posting comments on tires please clearly identify the year and model of auto.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Thanks for the post. I am considering BFG triple treads for my 09 ODY EX-L. The reason I am considering Triple Tread
The BFG triple tread (TT) seems to get good marks but I think that a specific tire's performance (noise, wear, handling etc) is dependent on the suspension and steering characteristics of a particular auto. Since the 2009 ODY has, I believe, a softer steering than previous years I would like to see some comments on TT PERFORMANCE on the 09 ODY (or reference to a search item).
When posting comments on tires please clearly identify the year and model of auto.
Uh don't you mean the Goodyear TripleTred? The last time I looked on Tire Rack there was no BF Goodrich tire with the name "Triple Tread". The GY TripleTred has been replaced with the TripleTred All Season, but you might find some of the previous model (plain ol' TripleTred) as closeouts like Tire Rack had recently. Look at the surveys on Tire Rack as well as their own tests and reviews. I myself bought a set of ComforTred Touring (new model last year) for my Ody (2008 Honda Odyssey EX) last month. Goodyear is running a promo now where you can get an $80 rebate on a set of four (doubled when you use a Goodyear or Sears Credit Card) through December 3, 2011 for either the Comfortred Touring and the TripleTred All-Season.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks Geo - I did mean Goodyear. The newer triple tread all season has a modified tread design and different compound from the older plain TT per Consumer Reports. Tires & tire-talk

At Tire Rack the price difference between the new and the old TT is about $12 per tire but they had very few of the old TT in my size left. The Goodyear store's web site price for the TT including the $80 rebate works out to the Sam's Club price per tire. Tire Rack is $5 cheaper but $10 more expensive when shipping is added. I have bought tires from them but you need to drag them to the service station and pay for installation. Sam's Club has free installation on Goodyear thru Nov 8 2011 which includes road hazard, & free future rotation and balancing.

Sure I could go negotiate elsewhere - but I have usually bought my tires lately at Sam's or Walmart and have had no problems.

Decision - Goodyear TT all seasons at Sam's Club which I will order as soon as I click send.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I went with the local Goodyear company-owned store only because I was able to get authorized for a Goodyear Credit Card (which has a very high interest rate) but has 6 months same as cash payment option (so you pay NO interest if you pay it off within 6 mos) AND a $160 rebate. Final cost for my GY Assurance ComforTred Tires- $105.95 per tire-cheaper than Sam's or Tire Rack!
PS Remember that the TT are unidirectional tires . Also, read this thread before you get the TT: Noisy TripleTreads on my O6 Odyssey

·
Registered
38 Posts
Goodyear Triple Tread Performance

:) I have had Goodyear Triple Treads (GTT) on my 09 Ody ex-L for a month and am very happy with them. They seems to give the Ody a more sure footed feel on dry roads than the standard Michelin's the van came with and also seems to be more quiet. They also seem to preform very well in heavy rain and I drove out of real wet mud today like it wasn't even there.

As mentioned in a previous post on this thread I had Michelin Hydroedges on my 02 ODY and have them on my 05 CRV and was happy with them and so far the GTT's appear to be equal. Its a supposed to snow this weekend and I expect they will do well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had Goodyear Comfort treads installed. They seem to ride nice so far. I was lucky enough to attend a Goodyear Ride and Drive event wear we tested the Triple treads and comfort treads against a competitor and I liked them. I usually use Michelin's but Goodyear had a decent rebate going so I bought them. Time will tell!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts