Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that the EX-L has just one backup camera mode, but models with Nav have 3.

Can anyone provide thoughts on the utility of the other modes?

I think I could skip nav if the main backup mode is really all you need.

Is the screen on the non-nav models physically smaller or otherwise less useful?

I'm basically torn between saving money on the EX-L or going all out with the Touring and maybe compromising with the EX-L with Nav.

Thanks,
Shige

·
Registered
43 Posts
I believe they are Wide, Normal and Down

Normal gives you a straight back view

Wide gives you a wider view so you can see cars coming towards you behind and to the side. Most useful when backing out of parking spaces to see people and cars coming up the aisle.

Down gives you a straight down view to the ground behind the car so you can see if anything is there that is not in your normal line of sight. A toy, a bike... I think it's also good if you plan on towing and need to backup to attach to your hitch. You can do it without someone guiding you.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It is as Amy said, however, to me the difference between wide and normal view is minimal. I just tried briefly while backing into the garage... We just leave it on normal. Top down is great if you hitch up a trailer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I only played with the camera a little bit when I did the test drive on the Touring we drove. I agree, I didn't see much difference between the wide and normal mode. The top down view I like because I have bad depth perception and will help me when backing into the garage when I have a ton of groceries.

I want to say the EX-L, no nav or Res had the backup camera on the big display screen that displays the time. I could be wrong since it's been a while since I test drove this trim line plus I have pregnancy brain. :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can anyone say for certain exactly where the backup camera is located on the EX-L w/res models without nav? I'm just trying to picture it. Also, does the backup camera come on automatically when you put into reverse or do you need to switch it on?

·
Registered
68 Posts
On the Touring models, the backup camera is mounted on a black plastic mount above where the license plate would be. I am not sure on other models.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can anyone say for certain exactly where the backup camera is located on the EX-L w/res models without nav? I'm just trying to picture it. Also, does the backup camera come on automatically when you put into reverse or do you need to switch it on?
The backup camera is located above the license plate, under the chrome lining about center of the back hatch.

Backup camera come on automatically when you put the gear into reverse.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Add me to the list of owners who can't tell the difference between wide and normal views. I do, however, like the straight down view. I use it for backing into parking spots, parallel parking, getting out of tight curb parking (where cars are single file and very close), etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts