Honda Odyssey Forum banner

The Dreaded Piston Ring

1525 Views 23 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Bear3412
I have a 2016 Honda Odyssey with 77K on it. We never had a problem until last week when the engine light came on saying there was a misfire in cylinder no.3. Code reader said it was probably an ignition coil but when the dealer got it (it is a certified pre-owned) they said it is a piston ring and that it likely isn’t under my warranty.

Of course, now that I have this problem I found this forum and the info on the muzzler.

Dealer wants me to authorize tear down so they can determine whether the issue is carbon buildup. Feels like a trap.

What do you all recommend? I guess I could just replace all the spark plugs and make the engine light go away for now, put a muzzler on and then run engine cleaner through and hope for the best…what do others think?

I don’t want to pay $3K to the dealer for something that should be covered under what in now find to be a worthless warranty.
  • Sad
Reactions: tyman
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,039 Posts
What do you all recommend? I guess I could just replace all the spark plugs and make the engine light go away for now, put a muzzler on and then run engine cleaner through and hope for the best…what do others think?
I feel you know what we recommend.
Especially since you spelled it out / quoted it. :)

I don’t want to pay $3K to the dealer
Then don't.

Obviously you read this Sticky Thread;

BTW, Welcome to the OdyCub.

Wow. 2016 w/ 77k miles.
You sure it is vcm issues?
That is early imo for vcm issues.
Did you pull rear bank plugs and inspect them?
Or someone else?

This is preowned?
What miles did you buy?
". . . but when the dealer got it (it is a certified pre-owned) . . . "

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I feel you know what we recommend.
Especially since you spelled it out / quoted it. :)

Then don't.

Obviously you read this Sticky Thread;

BTW, Welcome to the OdyCub.

Wow. 2016 w/ 77k miles.
You sure it is vcm issues?
That is early imo for vcm issues.
Did you pull rear bank plugs and inspect them?
Or someone else?

This is preowned?
What miles did you buy?
". . . but when the dealer got it (it is a certified pre-owned) . . . "
I bought the car in 2019 with 20K miles on it. It has been driven a mix of short distance and long trips for about 57K. The code reader said it was an ignition coil issue and likely a blown spark plug. When I brought it in, they told me it was piston rings and wanted me to authorize tear down, likely outside of warranty. I said no, call the warranty company and exhaust all efforts first. They are working to get me a "good faith" discount...though based on threads on here, I think this is also a trap.

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L
201 Posts
I got a S-VCM Controller because it was a little cheaper than the VCMTuner II and it was available right now. Either of them is pretty easy to install, just plug in the muzzler device between the factory harness and a temp sensor to the left of the battery, and hook up to power.

The install can result in DTCs being set due to disconnecting a plug to install the unit. You can either do a few drive cycles and it should clear by itself, go get the codes cleared, or I've read if you open your hood and then leave the vehicle alone for 30 minutes before unplugging stuff, it will not be monitoring things when you unplug and connect the S-VCM. I have a code scanner so I just did the install and cleared the codes instead of waiting.

· Registered
915 Posts
I bought the car in 2019 with 20K miles on it. It has been driven a mix of short distance and long trips for about 57K. The code reader said it was an ignition coil issue and likely a blown spark plug. When I brought it in, they told me it was piston rings and wanted me to authorize tear down, likely outside of warranty. I said no, call the warranty company and exhaust all efforts first. They are working to get me a "good faith" discount...though based on threads on here, I think this is also a trap.
Trap indeed........
Replace all spark plugs-muzzle-add 2 subsequent treatments of techron or redline SL-1.
Highway drives where you can safely floor it a number of times.
You need to get that carbon hot to get rid of it.

All will be good in the world.

· Registered
2010 EX-L 255,000 2010 Touring 125,000
394 Posts
@bdonlon, you're right about the trap. They will tear it down, find carbon, deny the warranty claim. Then you have to pay to either fix it or reassemble it.

· Registered
2012 Odyssey EX-L / VCM-Tuner 2
25 Posts
I got the VCM Tuner II based on posts from other members and have it since about a year and half. Had a couple of questions about "what's this attached to the battery?" at my California bi-annual smog test from the test center, but I was ready for them and showed them the website with CARB compliance and was no issues. I just checked on their website and it seems to be on back order, with next date for product ordering scheduled for 11/28/2022 at 9am PST based on incoming product.

· Registered
397 Posts
Where is the best place to purchase one? I was looking a the VCMTuner last night on their website.
That's a good one, it's what I have. Install it and forget it.
I got the VCM Tuner II based on posts from other members ...it seems to be on back order, with next date for product ordering scheduled for 11/28/2022 at 9am PST based on incoming product.
Yeah, you have to be ready to order, they only offer a small amount every week.

· Registered
2015 Odyssey EX-L
201 Posts
That's a good one, it's what I have. Install it and forget it.

Yeah, you have to be ready to order, they only offer a small amount every week.
They were sold out in under 10 minutes each time I tried, which is why I went with the S-VCM. From an appearance standpoint I think the VCM Tuner II is a little more "professional" looking, but so far it is doing its job. I've seen some reports of the S-VCM quitting after a few years, so I dunno.

· Registered
5 Posts
Hey Bdonlon,
I have a 2016 Honda Odyssey with 77K on it. We never had a problem until last week when the engine light came on saying there was a misfire in cylinder no.3. Code reader said it was probably an ignition coil but when the dealer got it (it is a certified pre-owned) they said it is a piston ring and that it likely isn’t under my warranty.

Of course, now that I have this problem I found this forum and the info on the muzzler.

Dealer wants me to authorize tear down so they can determine whether the issue is carbon buildup. Feels like a trap.

I don’t want to pay $3K to the dealer for something that should be covered under what in now find to be a worthless warranty.

Bdonlon,

We seem to be in the same boat. I have a
2016 Odyssey/ 65K miles/ misfire in cylinder 2.

I have an extended warranty that covers the drivetrain. Dealer calls and says that initial inspection says it’s the piston rings, but told me the warranty needs a tear down before they pay for the repair. I had to authorize the tear down. But I should have never been asked to authorize it because my warranty doesn’t cover the piston rings. So now I’m stuck. They tore the engine down and I have to pay $2500 to put it back together or $8800 to repair everything. I’m getting scammed.

Does anyone have any advice on my situation?

I’m currently waiting on Honda North Amer for a one time good faith assistance request.

· Registered
Bolt - 2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
7,291 Posts
Hey Bdonlon,

Bdonlon,

I have an extended warranty that covers the drivetrain. Dealer calls and says that initial inspection says it’s the piston rings, but told me the warranty needs a tear down before they pay for the repair. I had to authorize the tear down. But I should have never been asked to authorize it because my warranty doesn’t cover the piston rings. So now I’m stuck. They tore the engine down and I have to pay $2500 to put it back together or $8800 to repair everything. I’m getting scammed.

I’m currently waiting on Honda North Amer for a one time good faith assistance request.
Don't bother with the repair, just have them put it together and fix it the right way by disabling VCM.

· Registered
915 Posts
Hey Bdonlon,

Bdonlon,

It's time to lawyer up......
The piston rings are part of the drivetrain.

· Registered
2010 EX-L 255,000 2010 Touring 125,000
394 Posts
Hey Bdonlon,

Bdonlon,

You misspelled screwed.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts