Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am a newbie in this forum and would like to share my experience with the Chrysler dealer.

I bought a Chrysler Town & Country about a month and a half ago. I signed the contract and to me I got a good deal on the APR, 3.9%.
The dealer promised me a second center console to put in between the second row seats which were buckets. To make the story short, I went back to the dealer 11 times during the month and a half for different issues. Three of those times I took the van back because of alignment problems. They concluded that it was the tires and they were going to replace the tires. I was very patient with them and said sure call me when they come in. About two weeks later they call and tell me that the tires had arrived and to bring the van so they could replace the tires. I took the van back and left it there and they gave me a ride home. They said that it was going to take four hours to replace the tires, so I called back at noon to see if the van was ready. They said they had ordered the wrong tires and that they were going to reorder them again. I said fine again being very patient. By this time about a month and a half has passed. This happened on a Thursday, so the next day Friday, I get a call from the assistant manager saying that they were not able to get the 3.9 APR we agreed on in the contract and that they could get me 8.95 but I would have to come in to sign a new contract. They also told me that they were going to adjust the price of the van so I could keep the same monthly payments I had.
Through all this I hadn't received the payment book yet so I had not made any payments on the van. That was the final abuse I was able to take, I told the guy that I was going to return the van and that I wanted my money back that same day. He agreed on that and I got my money back full refund that same day. So I drove the van for a month and a half like if it was a rental and didn't pay a thing. The van had 2500 miles on it when I turned it in.
Now to the happy ending. The next day I went to the Honda dealer that I had spoken to before I decided on the T&C and got myself and Ody GG EX-NAVI 2001. I told the salesperson about my ordeal with Chrysler and that I was hoping that I would get better treatment from them. I can say that the guy was very helpful and didn't make me feel like I was at a dealership.

Things I liked about the Town & Country:
* Power Liftgate
* Automatic door locks after 20MPH
* Integrated child seat
* Dark blue color
* Dual power sliding doors
* Front cup holders can be adjusted
* Infinity Acousti10 speakers
* Compass and Thermometer
* The dashboard was nice to me
* Ride was smooth
* Interior was very quiet at highway speeds
* Automatic rear vents

Things I didn't like:
The engine at idle shaked too much for a new car. The engine was the 3.8L 215HP, and also shaked when I was making a stop.
The middle row bucket seats didn't move forward.

All in all I am very happy that things happened this way since after getting the T&C I had second thoughts about not getting the Ody in the first place. Since I drove the T&C for a month and a half I can say that now I appreciate more the Ody, even if it doesn't have some of the features that I liked in the T&C, like the power liftgate and the automatic rear vents.

Some people told me that I could have taken the dealer to court and that I had good chances of getting the van for free if I won the case and some compensation too. The idea crossed my mind, but I really don't have time to be in court. If I did have the time I would have pursued that venue, but I am happy with the decision I made.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm glad everything was rectified. Be advised though that I've read many posts concerning the Honda Odyssey and dealer service that sound like yours.

Also, it's important to read the fine print in the contracts you sign. Be advised, to everyone, that when you leave a dealership, you are NOT guaranteed that you will get the APR that is stated. Upon bank approval, you get the rate. It states this in the contract you sign, and is legally binding. It also states when you sign that you are buying the car even if the APR is not attainable. Many people do not realize this and get into binds if their payments jump due to banks not approving the APR, and then they try to return the car and can't. Most dealerships will work with them though.

The 3.8 should not shake. It's by far one of the smoothest pushrod engines. It just sounds like you had a lemon and it's too bad the dealership didn't take care of the car. However, your dealership did something that most dealerships would never have done and that's take back a van with 2500 miles.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Just out of curiosity, what are "automatic rear vents"? The Ody EX has power rear vents...what's the difference between them and the ones in the (*gag*) Chrysler?

------------------
David
'01 GG EX-NAVI
Classic Soft Trim leather kit; Audiovox entertainment system; Gentex auto dimming compass/temp rear view mirror; Pioneer speakers front & rear; splash guards; cargo tray; cargo liner; power door mods; Helm manual; Honda litter bag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry for misleading you. I just found out yesterday that the Ody also has automatic = power vents. I was so happy when I checked....

I meant to say power vents....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Miscreant, thanks for your input. I read the contract before going to the dealer and in it says that the APR cannot be changed once signed unless the promised APR cannot be attained. It also mentions that they are supposed to notify you in ten days from the day of purchase about the decision. They took a month and a half to notify me which in my opinion is too long. And if they were having issues why did they cash the check that I left as downpayment when they weren't even sure if I was going to get the APR? They cashed the check after 1 month. To me the dealer probably thought that I was going to take their crap even after being having so many issues with them. In the long run I am happy that things happened the way they did since I was able to get rid of the Chrysler. I have read many bad things about the vehicle having transmission problems after 60K miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Atonal:
Miscreant, thanks for your input. I read the contract before going to the dealer and in it says that the APR cannot be changed once signed unless the promised APR cannot be attained. It also mentions that they are supposed to notify you in ten days from the day of purchase about the decision. They took a month and a half to notify me which in my opinion is too long. And if they were having issues why did they cash the check that I left as downpayment when they weren't even sure if I was going to get the APR? They cashed the check after 1 month. To me the dealer probably thought that I was going to take their crap even after being having so many issues with them. In the long run I am happy that things happened the way they did since I was able to get rid of the Chrysler. I have read many bad things about the vehicle having transmission problems after 60K miles.</font>
It sounds like you simply had a bad dealership- it's a shame.

As for the bad trans problems, Chrysler has since switched to a trans that is minivan worthy and not weak like the old ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts