Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Logbook: Star Date 2011. These are the voyagers of the Starship "Odyssey." Its dedicated mission . . . to journey where no minivan has gone before.

Greetings fellow JourneyMen and JourneyWomen! After 23 years of exemplary stellar service, my white '88 Acura Integra LS SE has finally succumbed to terminal rust. Absolutely dependable and sure-footed for all those years. Twice into dealer. First time for initial warranty service after engine break-in. Second time at 70,000 for suggested preventive timing belt replacement. Every autumn I changed the oil myself. Unfortunately, rust never sleeps. Wish I had bought a second Integra as a donor parts car. My plan is to put a flat screen TV on the hood and use it as my personal drive-in. Love stories are made of relationships such as this. Really.

My Odyssey Journey began when I received a notice for emissions testing due in August for the Integra. Emissions will prolly pass easily, but the exhaust muffler is leaking along with some other issues and I can no longer justify investing more money into maintaining it due to advancing rust. I do a search on-line and locate an '87 Integra in Washington state. Of course the photo looks good. Too far away. I file for an extension for emissions testing and ponder my options.

On June 20, 2011, I get a call in the morning. My friend Evan is at his mechanic's garage and hears talk of detailing "the Honda" for sale. It is the mechanic's wife's daily driver. Am I interested? Think about it and call back. One minute later I call back. Yes! The next day I look at the Odyssey and immediately write a check for $3500.

It is a Heather Mist '98 LX Florida car with 95,000 miles. The trans was replaced at 87,000 mi. and the new warranty transfers to me. Accident-free with great tires. Love the double wishbone suspension and 4-wheel ABS disc brakes. Air conditioning works like a blast of Arctic wind. Love the view from above and all around. The only thing better would be the sunroof option. "You can't always get what you want. You get what you need."

I turn on the radio for the drive home and the first song I hear is "Rebel Yell." Yee Ha! I am in ecstasy!

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to OdyClub and where is your blog?

Congrats on your new Odyssey..

Pat
Hi Pat!

Thank you so much for rolling out the gracious and much appreciated "Welcome" mat!

Blog? I have a Blog? I have no idea where it is. Honestly, I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out how to post a reply to "Introduce Yourself" until I realized it was the "Start New Thread" button. Obviously I am not only socially inept, but techno challenged as well. One of these days I suppose I will have a Facebook page. But until then, the Ody Club forum will be my entry into the "Blogsphere." I've never started anything in my life (except my car). I feel so empowered!

Yikes! My first day on the forum and I've already been pulled over! Reminds me of my wild and carefree days of "yute." Haven't seen that light show since . . . can't remember when. The last three weeks with the Ody, I can cruise along the right lane and everyone just passes me by. I'm learning there's one thing I have to be aware of. The ride is so smooth and quiet that I have to be extra alert to maintain the speed limit. The Integra has mechanical linkage and the throttle response was very direct and sensitive. The "drive by wire" system in the Ody feels a bit less engaged to me. It could just be me. Anyway, these days my motto is, "Drive Slow Think Fast."

I did stop by your Acura gallery and appreciated your "stealth" ride. In my previous incarnation, I had a black '72 Ford E200 Supervan and a black '84 Isuzu Impulse so I have a special affinity for "obsidian" autos. "Paint It Black."

Thanks again for checking in. Have a Gr8 Day!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome and congrats. Wow, those things last forever...
Aloha, whoa!

Thanks for the warm salutations at the morning "Meet & Greet!" Back at ya' in the Far North from the Near East!

I'm not actually Hawaiian. I just like to fantasize I am "shooting the curl" at Waimea Bay. A surf board seems to be the perfect accessory to strap on the Ody roof rack. The Endless Summer. "Wish they all could be . . . "

Love your animated volleyball avatar and Pat's flashing lightbar avatar. I have to stop watching. I think I am becoming hypnotized! hahaha

Hope you're staying cooler than we are!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 - 5 of 5 Posts