Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys - time to place the order. What is the best setup? The primary use is a daily driver for Mom caring a new born and an 18 month old. The occasional trips to the beach and seeing other family will also happen. We have had Honda's in the past and are dead set on the Odyssey. We plan to purchase new (more than likely order from the factory). We will be paying cash and have room to go all the way to Touring Elite but I feel that some "bling bling" is just that and not really needed. So what would you order? I will need to tow a small 16' 1,400 lb boat to the lake on occasion as well so a tow package is in order. We like leather, NAV, and RES so I guess it comes down to Touring or EX-L. T Barring any unforeseen problems, we plan to keep this van for a LONG time (10 + years). Thanks for your response in advance and love the forum!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also - trying to "build" the EX-L on the Honda website, I can not seem to build with both NAV and RES. Is it one or the other on the EX-L? I see the Touring has them both?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I buy for the 10 year stretch also. For me the 6spd Touring transmission was a must. (I'm hitting 28-30 mpg on the highway) The 18" Michelins were a no brainer because I would have replaced the 17" Continentals with them anyway for 18" mag wheels for the summer. (snows in the winter on the stock rims). I wanted the Pearl White paint so I had no choice. The Nav is a sweet unit.

IMG_3225.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick responses! I've been looking for the specific unit I want in my area and we might have to go with a dealer trade or (hopefully) a direct order from the factory. My specifics are Celestial Blue Metallic, full trailer tow pkg, and some minor accessories that I believe are dealer installed. Anyone ever order from the factory?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I'd get the TE, look at the thread which trim level did you chose, and also the ex-l vs touring, such a big difference.
In short HID, Wide RES, rear theater mode and blind spot sensors (which I thought were a useless gadged prior to purchase) were totally worth it.

We also have the tow pack. I only had a short towing experience around town with the van. Towing a dual axel enclosed uhaul trailer. At those speeds it did great.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Anyone ever order from the factory?
I could be wrong, but I don't think there is such as thing as "ordering" from the factory. If the dealer doesn't have the color / model you want in their upcoming allocation, they will trade with another dealer who has the color / model that you want in stock or in their upcoming allocation.

·
Registered
884 Posts
You can't get both res and nav in the EXL, at least I couldn't when I ordered mine. Spend an hour looking at some of the theads in this forum and I think you'll reach two conclusions. The first is that the Honda nav is sub standard and you are far better buying an aft market GPS. The second is that "some" owners are experiencing issues with the 6 speed transmission. Hopefully a software revision will correct it but too many people seem to be making the same complaint to totally dismiss it. I'm happy with my own choice.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
You can't get both res and nav in the EXL, at least I couldn't when I ordered mine. Spend an hour looking at some of the theads in this forum and I think you'll reach two conclusions. The first is that the Honda nav is sub standard and you are far better buying an aft market GPS. The second is that "some" owners are experiencing issues with the 6 speed transmission. Hopefully a software revision will correct it but too many people seem to be making the same complaint to totally dismiss it. I'm happy with my own choice.
I don't have a lot of experience with many navs, but I like the Honda one. My dad has a garmin in his truck and I don't like it at all. The routing is very food with the garmin and it shows the road speed limit, but the screen is minuscule.
The only complaint I have about our navi is that the fm traffic almost never displays any info. It occasionally shows accidents but it almost never shows traffic speed (thought that might be just our area.
If I had to pick res or nav, I think I'd pick nav, and use the iPad as a RES.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ordering from the factory will take forever. We were looking at getting a Liquid Metal TE. Only 1 dealer in central IN had one in stock, and they had over $2k in accessories on it. Being that the dealer group I work for has a Honda dealer, I didn't need all the add on crap because I can buy whatever I want for it close to dealer cost. They said they found one in OH to dealer trade with. Ordering from Honda would take at least 6 weeks to come in. Once put side by side, we liked the Smokey Topaz color better, along with the Truffle interior color more than the Gray. If you're paying cash, you obviously aren't hurting for money, go with the TE. If you're wife drives anything like my wife, you will like the blind spot monitors. When she's on the phone, the rest of the world is just an afterthough. Anything to help keep her from moving into someone elses lane is a plus in my book. The wide screen RES is nice, but I wish you didn't have to plug in another dvd source to get the dual screen. When you're loaded up with 6 people in the van, makes it a pain to have to haul around a PS3, or the like, to get the 2nd screen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Moderator might want to delete Garnet's last post on the chance his wife might read it. :)
She won't see it, and if she does, she'll know I'm right. When she's on the phone, the rest of the world doesn't exist. eg. She pulled in one day, opened garage door, pulled car forward, too far, and closed garage door on hood of car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well - we are continuing to make adjustments in the decision making process. It seems to me that the TE is worth the extra bucks. Strangely, one dealer had a black TE that showed 45k on the window invoice but had a hang tag on the rearview mirror for 40k flat. We were pumped about the Celestial Blue but when we saw it in person, we didn't get a great feeling. Wife really likes Smokey Topaz but I am for a lighter color to show less dings and scratches. My top choice now is White Diamond Pearl. Now it's just a matter of finding one.

If it takes 6 weeks to order then we can wait. I don't mind since we will own this car for many years. I want to take my time and do it right. Any rumors on different colors for 2013? If there is one downside to this car company is color selection.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If I knew my wife drives like that, the only conversation I'd be having with her is which color tricycle she wants.

I'm probably the stupid one, but I take driving very seriously. I only take very short calls while I'm driving. If the call needs longer I pull over, or the call can wait till later.
We live a pretty sheltered life, driving is one activity where I can seriously hurt myself, my family or someone else. So that's why to me, driving is very high on the importance list.

Back on topic, one option on the TE that I find pretty useless is the multi rear view angles. I'd rather a camera on the passenger side mirror for parallel parking, although the auto tilt rearview does a good job.

I have yet to use 2 inputs on the TE, I just zoom in a wide format movie eliminating the horizontal black bars and that's it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If I had it my way we would get a TE in Pearl White; however, we don't need Nav or RES. I like it for HIDS and blind-spot. My only complaint with Honda is you can't get a car with some options and not others.

·
Registered
48 Posts
No wonder it would take forever. Personalized color!

J/K

I assume that is Alabaster silver?

As per the wife's driving, it sounds that no technology could save those driving habits ;)

Sorry. Polished Metal. The dark gray color.
If I knew my wife drives like that, the only conversation I'd be having with her is which color tricycle she wants.

I'm probably the stupid one, but I take driving very seriously. I only take very short calls while I'm driving. If the call needs longer I pull over, or the call can wait till later.
We live a pretty sheltered life, driving is one activity where I can seriously hurt myself, my family or someone else. So that's why to me, driving is very high on the importance list.

Back on topic, one option on the TE that I find pretty useless is the multi rear view angles. I'd rather a camera on the passenger side mirror for parallel parking, although the auto tilt rearview does a good job.

I have yet to use 2 inputs on the TE, I just zoom in a wide format movie eliminating the horizontal black bars and that's it.
At least it has bluetooth. Now she can actually use 2 hands to steer the wheel. It has helped a bit.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
At least it has bluetooth. Now she can actually use 2 hands to steer the wheel. It has helped a bit.
True, but the only time the hands free is usefull to me is when driving a manual transmission. I never found myself lacking the strength to turn the wheel to avoid an obstacle.
The important thing is: am I paying attention to the road. I can be just as distracted holding the phone or on Bluetooth or just fantasizing about anime characters (bit of humor there).

Anyways, to makeup for the lathargic transmission I wish there was a sports pack with paddle shifters or a + - on the gear lever.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If I had it my way we would get a TE in Pearl White; however, we don't need Nav or RES. I like it for HIDS and blind-spot. My only complaint with Honda is you can't get a car with some options and not others.
That is frustrating, but it does make things simpler. Now that Honda isn't quite such the runaway top (or at least top two) choice for most of their models, we'll see if that strategy becomes a negative. It wasn't before, but their stuff is starting to hit the mediocre to poor area.

You just gotta find which options you can't live without. That determines which trim to get. We decided we had to have RES and the Cool Box. That meant EX-L (I could actually live without leather and Nav). Once we got to the price range of the EX-L though, my wife really wanted the White Pearl paint and HID. That meant a jump to the TE. Like $8,000 in extras just for those two options.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts