Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My take on the sticking doors, which I have not yet experienced, is that, in addition to the door sticking to the seal, there is too little spring pressure exerted on the rear of the door to release it in times of stickiness. The door (only had one slider) on my Caravan never even threatened to stick, but, it had a very stiff spring which pushed quite hard on the rear of the door, causing it to release every time. The Honda doors close so very nicely, compared to those on the Mopar, that I can only conclude the above. Those on the Mopar required a GOOD SLAM, in order to close.....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
The Honda doors close so very nicely, compared to those on the Mopar, that I can only conclude the above. Those on the Mopar required a GOOD SLAM, in order to close.....

Jerry O.

</font>

Hi Jerry,

Point taken. Your experience mirrors mine with the 1985 Plymouth Voyager I had. The Ody's doors are much more user friendly, once they're off the weather strips than the Chrysler products was.

I've had intermittent sticking with my '01 LX. I've tried silicone spray on the weather strips as well as a healthy coat of wax on the metal the strips rest against. Both remedies helped in the short term but the problem continues to return. So far this isn't something I'd make a special trip to the dealer for but I think I'll bring it up to them at my Ody's next maintenence cycle. I'll let the group know what happens.

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 12-24-2001).]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, the doors are VERY easy to close.
This is good! :)
I don't like slamming doors.

If I have a window or other door open elsewhere in the Odyssey, I can simply let the side door slide forward and it latches perfectly!!

I don't know if that's the cause of the stickiness, but I do agree that the doors are very easy to close.

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX - Silver
2001 Civic EX Sedan - Silver
1990 Mustang LX Coupe - Titanium
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not had the "sticky door" problem, but today I took a look at the hinge set-up and it does, indeed, have quite a wimpy spring, compared to my Mopar van. I'm betting that the real problem is not the door sticking to the weatherstrip, but that the spring does not have enough moxie to kick the door free of the latch, which will only get worse as the van ages and the door puts a little more downward pressure on the latch striker. I have coated my weatherstriping with 303 protectant and there is NO WAY anything could stick to it, so I must assume that those of you who have done a silicone or rubber protectant application have something else causing the door to fail to open.

When your door does not want to open, have someone crawl inside and push on the rear of the door as you pull the handle. If the door opens, what you have is insufficient spring pressure from the rear hinge.

In looking at the hinge, I can see an easy way to get more outward pressure to help pop the door open. If you open the door all the way and look at the hinge from the rear, you will see that there is a nice hole in the inner part of the hinge (that which is connected to the track), which would serve as a good mount for an auxiliary spring. I made one from some junk I had and it seems to be o.k., for clearance, etc.

What you will need is a small coil spring of 1/2" to 1" in diameter, approximately 1" long. The spring must be no more than around 1/2" tall when fully compressed. This spring will end up between the hinge and the door jamb when the door is closed and press outward on the hinge, thus helping to disengage the latch. The way I mounted the spring on my hinge was with a small washer inserted between the last two coils. I then put a bolt down through the spring and through the hole in the hinge, securing it with a nut (self locker) on the rear side. I capped the spring with a rubber end, so as to keep from scratching the door jamb and starting a rusty spot.

By choosing a spring with the proper amount of tension when compressed, you should be able to tailor it to do the job with a minimum of extra effort on the closing end. You do not, of course, want to lose that friendly closure and go to the "good slam" mode, but you do want to be able to get the @#*#%^ thing open, Hee! Hee!

Sorry that I do not have photos, but I am not digital in that regard, so my longwinded explanation will have to do. If you have any questions re this, let 'em come. Honda should retrofit those vans which are giving trouble with new springs, but since they are not, we soccerbus geeks should be able to "mod" it ourselves.

One thing you should all do is to be sure there is lube on the door striker, at all times. Put some good silicone grease on it and be sure it never gets dry. In this case, a "grouchy" latch is no help at all. Good luck.......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
5 Posts
The doors on my LX stick often! On at least 3 occasions I have had to go in via the front doors and push the rear doors open! I feel this is a safety concern as well as a pain in the neck! I had the dealer check it out and they claim everything was fine and they lubricated the doors. Should I push the issue farther with them or will this fix the problem?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I had sticky doors, I would try to "mod" them in the manner I described. Your experience confirms my take on the subject, that there needs to be more outward pressure on the rear end of the door for it to open consistently. The mod is relatively simple and should help. Good luck......

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
11 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jerry O:
If I had sticky doors, I would try to "mod" them in the manner I described. Your experience confirms my take on the subject, that there needs to be more outward pressure on the rear end of the door for it to open consistently. The mod is relatively simple and should help. Good luck......

Jerry O.

</font>
I had the stinking door problem and took it in to dealer. They put on a new and inproved seal that fixed my problem on my 2001. All has been great for months, in cold and warm weather. Check with you dealer to try the new seal BEFORE you Mod. Like I said I had a lot of problem with one door and is great now.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by MEMEYOYO:
I had the stinking door problem

I would think that a "stinking" door problem would have to do with mold or mildew, Hee! Hee!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't think the Sticky Door that some of us are experiencing here is due to a weak spring.

If you felt the door, you'd realize that you have to tug quite hard on it from the rear of the door and the handle to get it to open.

This goes beyond weak springs. There is definitely some kind of weird adhesion going on in there somewhere!

------------------
Nelson
2001 Odyssey LX
2001 Civic EX Sedan
1990 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe
http://fiveoh.homestead.com/main.html

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you can coat your weatherstrips with 303 and get ANYTHING to stick to them, then I will believe the scenario of the sticking rubber goods. If not, I still say there is a problem in getting the LATCH to release. One other possibility is that the guide cones(plastic goodies on the front edge of the doors are binding in their bores and need some silicone grease on them. Of course, there could be some sort of "magnetic/electronic conspiricy" going on, wherein the electrical contacts for the doors are somehow magnetized and are holding the doors(and your children)in a sort of captivity. The automotive gods do work in very mysterious ways........

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

1 - 10 of 10 Posts