Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tail lights and dash lights are out on my 2003 Odyssey.
The # 10 passenger side fuse keeps blowing as soon as I turn the headlight switch to on. I thought maybe it was a short in the light switch handle but I took it to my local shop this morning and they say that its my aftermarket stereo that is shorting these out. He says that he put a 15 amp fuse in and the lights now work but my stereo started smoking.

I should note that I installed that stereo myself 2 months ago and it has been working perfectly fine, even during this past week while my lights have been out and the # 10 fuse was blown. ? If the stereo was bad wouldn't it have blown its own fuse ? I'm wondering if these guys just blew out my stereo while trying to diagnose my other problem ?

I don't know much about electronics so I hope you guys can help me out.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Never ever never put a bigger amp fuse in to fix a short. A fuse blows because there is too much current flowing. Remove the radio and see if the fuse blows. Go from there. I'll leaf through my shop manual and see what else is on fuse #10

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. They removed the stereo and put in a 15 amp fuse and for now the lights are working fine. I'm not sure if the original fuse was 10amp or 15 amp. I asked if I might have installed the stereo improperly but the guy says he thinks it's just a defective stereo. Its a Sony Bluetooth stereo I got at Walmart for $170.00. I plan on exchanging the stereo for another one but I don't want to put a new one in and have the same thing happen. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Fuse 10 is a 15 amp so that is okay. Sounds like problem I had when I put a JVC deck in my old CRV. Fuse would pop immediately. The harness that came with the deck fit, but was not for that deck. The stereo shop opened another box and gave me the harness out of that one and everything was fine. You have a bad decck, harness or it is not connected to the vehicle properly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts