Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arrrgggh!!!! I just got another rock chip in my windshield. Thats two in 4 weeks!!! It seems this vehicle collects chips faster than a crooked gambler.
My question for my erudite Odyites is will this problem be solved by the addition of a bug deflector or will it make it worse? Any pro or con experiences would be appreciated before I plunk money (albiet canadian money)
down on a deflector.

Thanks,
The Can-man

·
Registered
564 Posts
Next time you replace the windshield, just use plywood instead of the much more fragile glass that the auto industry seems so fond of.

Hmm. I'm not really helping am I? Back in my hole...

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX (ULEV)- currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
239 Posts
We all know how it feels. I think it has nothing to do with what kind of car/van we drive. It just happens, like an act of god.
Some people will say you should not follow so close to the truck in front, but it still happens miles behind.
I thought about the bug shield too. Again, some say it works, some say it doesn't. My wife just can't handle the ugly look of putting one on not to mention has to shell out hundred dollars and all the side effect you have to endure.
My experience is, go get the insurance to pay for the windshield repair which I think it just makes it less noticeable, you know it is still there. Then just get over it, time will heal, do not look at it, do not talk about it. Simply just ignore it. You will feel better and happier after a while especially after the second chip or third chip, then you won't care much.
Remember TIME will heal.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have a deflector and seem to get just as many rock strikes on my windshield. There is no way fairly heavy stones would be deflected by the airstream. They would, of course, be deflected by the "deflector", should they come at you at that level.

Darell, do ya reckon they would have that plywood in finishes to match the wood interior trim?? I know a place which sells plywood with just about any sort of veneer you could want. I should give them a call and let them know that the windshield business could be theirs, Hee! Hee!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks alot Darell!! Now my bumper is trashed. You forgot to tell me to put eye holes in that plywood! That's the last time I take advice from someone driving a mobile toaster oven!!!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Hey now! It's a mobile *microwave*. I bet with the computers built into that baby, combined with the batteries under the floor, you could put a potato under the hood and cook it to mush inside 3 minutes.

(Of course, the same could be said of my entire house, especially when all the computers are turned on and the Gigaset is going on both lines...)

Say, Darrell--does that EV have a Faraday cage surrounding the cockpit, or are you just not going to have kids?

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
Thanks alot Darell!! Now my bumper is trashed. </font>

Ah crap! Sorry. I just assumed you had front-mounted Poron sensors like me. I've been driving with my eyes closed for years!

------------------
-= Darell =-
1997 EV1 (ZEV) in process - "This is NOT your father's TOASTER OVEN"

[This message has been edited by darelldd (edited 11-04-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:

Say, Darrell--does that EV have a Faraday cage surrounding the cockpit, or are you just not going to have kids?

</font>
Funny you should bring that up. My wife and I were just laughing about how the EMF police are quick to point out that you shouldn't leave your electric blanket on throughout the night. Ha! Talk about a drop in the bucket
But seriously, there is a shield (doesn't really take much) between the motor and the cockpit to avoid "Sterile Darell" syndrome. Plus, we've already got the kid. I actually wouldn't mind a painless sterilization at this point...but that's probably a bit too much info at this point. Forget I mentioned it.

And the batteries: They are not "under the floor" by any means. Take a look at the picture - this is a VERY low little car. The batteries form a big hump right between the two seats (it's actually a T-shape that then crosses the car where the back seat would be if there were one). So you don't sit on top of the batteries, you sit right in there with them where you can pet them and coax that last little kwh out of them.

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
564 Posts
Now, can somebody please explain to me how we got from the Can-Man's windshield chips to my sterilization in just eight posts?

Nowhere but Odyclub.

I think I need a special little lightbulb icon to alert me when somebody starts bashing my toaster oven. Tough to track all these down and squash them.

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<red>DELIVERENCE III -The EV Encounter</red>

On a lonely stretch road an EV1 silently coasts to a stop. It's batteries drained by an owner who suddenly realizes what he forgot to plug in last night. The faint sound of banjo music can be heard in the distance.
Slowly getting out of the car Darell looks around to find himself alone in a densely forested canyon.
Then from behind him a strange voice:
"That sure is some purty car mister...."

---------------------------------------------
Better keep that thing charged Darell.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Take a look at this site and see what you think!
http://www.clearbra.com/paint/scotchal.html
Even though there is not a product specifically for windshields, I wonder if a roll of the film could be applied successfully? I have suffered the anguish of chipped/cracked windshields in the past too, but of equal concern to me is the pitting from all the junk that is not visible to the naked eye, but ruins your windshield after a few years.

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
More stuff on the way...
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gettin'AVan:
Back to the rock chips...why don't you super-glue an EV1 to the bumper of your ODY?</font>
Hey, might make it more aerodynamic!

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody:

Even though there is not a product specifically for windshields, I wonder if a roll of the film could be applied successfully?
</font>
This stuff works great on paint, but I'd hate to have to try and see through it. Assuming you're being serious with this suggestion - I see WAY more drawbacks than advantages. Plus, it is desgined to give its live to save what it is protecting, so it will get dinged up as it saves your windshield. Replacing the windshield is much easier than painting the car.

------------------
-= Darell =-

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
Better keep that thing charged Darell.
</font>
Yup. The good news is that when you boot the car up, the first thing it displays is how many miles you'd better NOT try to exceed. Trust me - I won't be taking this thing camping in the boonies.

------------------
-= Darell =-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts