Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang,
Just bought a 2012 odyssey touring with 110,000 on it. Runs and drives well, no noises or issues that I can tell.
Service records are basic and oil changes were regular but no major services done to my knowledge.
So we are about to hit the road in it going out west, and needing a new timing belt, so what else should/would be good to do while we are in there in the 100k/125k mile marks...
Got the genuine Honda TB kit with water pump, serpentine belt, pulleys etc.
Planning to replace ATF in the trans, power steering fluid, brake fluid,
maybe check valve clearance,
Maybe thermostat,
Maybe spark plugs,
Anything else worth doing? I have a mechanic friend who is doing most of the work, so it’s only part cost and time in the garage chatting :)
All input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The plugs are due, so I'd do those now (makes the timing belt job a little easier when the plugs are out for when you manually turn the engine to line up the timing marks)
You'll need coolant (since you are pulling the water pump)
If you are going on a long road trip, the cabin air filter would be a good idea if it's close to due (also - check the brakes - fluid, pads, rotors)
I'd clean the throttle body. Thermostat is up to you - I changed it the first time I changed the belt on our old van, but not the second time - they aren't a high failure item.

·
Registered
8,428 Posts
A valve clearance adjustment is likely unnecessary at 110,000 miles. (Incidentally, there is no labor saved by doing it as part of the TB job.)

I would pop the radiator and block coolant drain ports and replace the coolant. (Actually, it's still only a partial replacement due to coolant stranded in the rear heater.) Doing so would also reduce the mess caused by pulling the water pump without first draining the block. It's a couple of years early, but it's an opportune time to get ahead of it.

With the block drained, I would go ahead and change the thermostat. Once again, it's a little early (risk of erratic operation starts at about 150,000 IMHO), but doing it now might avoid problems later.

Source Honda only for the coolant and the thermostat.

Dave

·
Registered
13,778 Posts
I will second Dave's suggestion of only using the premixed Honda Coolant. It is long life and you will never get all the existing coolant out, so mixing in the real thing is a good idea.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yes you have the proper list. Do all of it. Plugs, trans (3X drain and fill), timing belt plus all idlers and pump, accessory belt, valve lash if it’s noisy. Mine at 213K barely makes noise and I’ll likely reset them at my next timing belt change. Power steering fluid now is a very good time to drain and fill. Verify lower control arms when under with the wheels off. The rear rubber isolators are a weak link.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey gang,
Thanks for the replies.
We got er done...after a marathon effort.
The crank bolt was at least a 5 hour hold up, till the oxy torch got it hot enough to come out.
Did the timing belt, water pump, pulleys,and hydraulic tensioner ,serpentine belt, new coolant, new brake fluid, new power steering fluid, new spark plugs, new oil and filter, new trans fluid(single drain and refill) tow hitch installed, new KnN air filter, rotated tyres...she’s ready to go and all running well.
We were going to do the thermostat, but started adding new coolant before we remembered, so put it off till next time.
We noticed the rear pads are thin and will need done in the future too, front pads look new.
Many thanks again for all the input!
1578072127547.jpeg

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'd clean the throttle body.
A little late now, but don't do this unless you have a scan tool to initiate the idle re-learn process.

The crank bolt was at least a 5 hour hold up, till the oxy torch got it hot enough to come out.
Also late now... but there is a special Honda socket for that crank bolt. Extra heavy - and rentable from auto parts stores. Supposedly makes that bolt come off much more easily.

-Charlie

·
Registered
949 Posts
The crank bolt is the worst part of the job. Did you try the starter bump method as well? Help to allow the motor about 1/2 a turn before the wrench handle hits the LCA. Mine refused to come off with the Honda wrench and 3 foot breaker bar. Starter bump did work though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
where did you get the kit and who was the seller? For your sake, I hope not ebay or Amazon.
Most of the parts sold there that have OE Honda labels are fake counterfeit products.
If parts purchased from dealer on Ebay or Amazon, then my comments do not apply.

Speaking off experience with Honda OE plugs and Toyota OE thermostat.

·
Registered
10,941 Posts
I would also not recommend the K&N air filter. They aren't any better and really just serve to coat the mass air flow sensor with oil and cause check engine lights.

I've also seen the fake Honda TB kits on Amazon. Stay away for sure.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just finished timing belt job today.. started yesterday. I hate this job, there is so little room to work with the AC lines and other stuff in the way. My hands and forearms are a mess. Second time I do it (had a 2002 ody before).
Yep I just used a nylon tie to fix the breaker bar to the lower arm and cranked it... did the trick. Same as last time.
Installed an Aisin kit.. and of course did the serpentine belt and tensioner as one of the pulleys was noisy. Plugs can wait a bit..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey Gang,
Just bought a 2012 odyssey touring with 110,000 on it. Runs and drives well, no noises or issues that I can tell.
Service records are basic and oil changes were regular but no major services done to my knowledge.
So we are about to hit the road in it going out west, and needing a new timing belt, so what else should/would be good to do while we are in there in the 100k/125k mile marks...
Planning to replace ATF in the trans, power steering fluid, brake fluid,
maybe check valve clearance,
Maybe thermostat,
Maybe spark plugs,
Anything else worth doing? I have a mechanic friend who is doing most of the work, so it’s only part cost and time in the garage chatting :)
All input is appreciated.
Did it come with belt tensioner?

·
Registered
8,428 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
You proved a point, but I believe this is something Bernardi does on their own, not a Honda Corp timing belt kit.
Also if you look into the details, its missing tensioner and idlers.
They do provide serpentine belt and gallon of coolant instead.
Great option if you want to have OE honda parts, but I think when compared to Aisin kit, there is no comparison.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts