Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am an owner of a gen 3 Odyssey. I took it in for an oil change and code read, after which Honda recommends about 13k to repair. After some thought I decided to upgrade to the 4th gen.
I definitely want navigation, but all the ones I've looked at have screens, I'm not sure if the screens are standard, but is there a way to tell if it has navigation? Are there other things to consider on these vans?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
141 Posts
What the heck would cost $13K to repair??? What was the code???

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
657 Posts
Not sure why you want navigation... it is slow, old and hard to work with. Any smartphone will do a much better job. I have never used it to enter an address and have only used the map screen for reference a couple times...

That said... Nav will be on every EX-L Nav, Touring and Touring Elite and will never be on an LX, EX, EX-L, or EX-L Res.

Other things to consider are similar to what you are likely already experiencing with your current Odyssey - VCM issues, trans issues, etc. Unless you are talking about features... in which case look up the brochure from the year of interest and see what features you really want and that will lead you to the trim you want. 2011-2013 is the 'first half' of the generation and 2014-2017 is the 'second half' of the generation with minor updates happening for the 2014 model year.

-Charlie

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ahhh, I remember when we took our '02 EXL into the dealership for a timing belt change. They had a special, I think it was $599 and $100 (or so?!) for the water pump too.

They then provided me a list of another $4500 in work that HAD to be done! The only thing we did was the back brakes for like $200 and drove it for another 35k.

The Navi is junky-clunky, I would not make that my priority when looking for your next van.

And lots to read here on the known issues of Gen4. Forget 18-19s, electrical gremlins all over. 13-17, the front brakes are crap, you need to disable the VCM-ECO Mode as soon as possible, creaky front struts, transmission fluid swaps and updates and you should really had a transmission cooler. Once done, you're all set.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I took it in for an oil change and code read, after which Honda recommends about 13k to repair. After some thought I decided to upgrade to the 4th gen.
You just blindly took their advice?

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
In the vans after 2014, there is a NAV button on the left side of the row by the phone button. In those vans the main upgrade when having NAV is a hard drive that will store any music you put into the CD drive. But the NAV is cumbersome and silly to use. You really have to be stopped to enter an address. Whenever you try to do that using the voice command, you will end up calling someone. It does show you where you are, even without cell service though. I have been looking myself, and know what to look for on the dash. For the 2011-2013 vans, someone else will have to chime in. One thing I will say is, nobody is getting a premium for the vans with NAV anyway.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
1. Get 2nd opinion
2. Avoid years 2011-213
3. Immediately install VCM Muzzler

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many of you have been hating on the nav system, ive used it before and didn't mind it, I find myself in places that have strict cellphone while driving laws and I prefer not having things on my dash. That's why I want navigation. My current van has 270k and is leaking oil from about everywhere, even if I took it elsewhere or did the work myself, I would spend more than it's worth. I paid 2000 for it so pouring money into it just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah, time to let that one go!

The Nav system still has to know where it's at, if you want cached mapping data if your off the beaten path often then you're still better off with a $100 Garmin. The difference in price for Nav vs. non equipped can be pretty steep. Just watch what years you buy as per the above...

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Having looked at used 2011-2017 EX-l s for over a year, I have found little difference in price between the ones equipped with NAV or not, so I don't where you are finding this steep price difference. When new the price was high for what you got, but used, practically nothing.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
We just (well a year ago now) replaced my wife's 2010 Honda with a 2016 Acura. Both had NAV and my wife liked to NAV in her old car better. The NAV in her Acura is like the 2014+ Odyssey. We do not regret getting it, as that package has some other items that are well worth it. In the Acura the price difference between a base and a Tech is a few grand on the used market.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
141 Posts
My 07 EX-L came with navigation (I bought it used). I know it's an older generation navigation system, so maybe the newer generation is better. But, I always used a portable Garmin unit in my Camry, and I like that one so much better than the built-in one in the Odyssey. I like that the Garmin tells you exactly which lane to be in, reads the full name of the street you're turning onto, etc. The previous owner updated the map of my car around 2014-2015, and I was contemplating updating it again, but I think I'd be better off just buying a new Garmin unit. Navigation wasn't something I was looking for, but the car I bought happened to come with it (I didn't pay any more than I otherwise would have).

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
In the vans after 2014, there is a NAV button on the left side of the row by the phone button. In those vans the main upgrade when having NAV is a hard drive that will store any music you put into the CD drive. But the NAV is cumbersome and silly to use. You really have to be stopped to enter an address. Whenever you try to do that using the voice command, you will end up calling someone. It does show you where you are, even without cell service though. I have been looking myself, and know what to look for on the dash. For the 2011-2013 vans, someone else will have to chime in. One thing I will say is, nobody is getting a premium for the vans with NAV anyway.
I absolutely hate my 2012 TE Nav system, maps are out of date, 150 bux to buy a dvd to update them, the interface is kludgy.
absolute failure of execution.

google maps and apple maps both have the ability to cache your destination, in case you lose data coverage while driving.

I understand law enforcement has monetized distracted driving, and why you want an integrated Nav.
Same problem where I live...

I use waze for that, it tells me where the cops are.
?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I could be wrong on the price, when I was looking a year ago the prices for Navi's were a little bit more. Didn't mean to confuse the issue.

I'd still go Garmin or use my iPhone! ;)

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,996 Posts
How bad would putting an aftermarket stereo with nav in?
The big upper screen will not work and take your backup camera and Lanewatch camera (if equipped) with it. So pretty bad.

There's a device called NavTool that allows you to mirror your phone to the upper screen in the dash but it's pricey. But really, almost any problem is solvable if you throw enough resources at it. Most of us minivan-driving mortals just aren't willing to do that.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
The big upper screen will not work and take your backup camera and Lanewatch camera (if equipped) with it. So pretty bad.

There's a device called NavTool that allows you to mirror your phone to the upper screen in the dash but it's pricey. But really, almost any problem is solvable if you throw enough resources at it. Most of us minivan-driving mortals just aren't willing to do that.
navtool looks cool but at the end of the day all it does is screen mirror, and for 329bux usd, it doesn't appear to be worth it.
I have an android device that tethers to my personal phone, that works great for waze, chromecast on the hdmi port for the rear screen.

Think I'm in it for the long haul with this 2012 TE with all the repairs put into it, which means one day I will tackle a stereo upgrade to something android based double din that can interface with canbus.
I'm sure it will be messy and unpleasant.

The stock stereo has already exhibited issues with the groaning whining sound on cold mornings, and on 2 occasions when I started up the vehicle, the entire nav screen was scrambled with a kaleidoscope of colors nothing legible, that was only resolved by shutting off the vehicle and restarting.

have upgraded to a sub with amp, which is covered in another post here.

Time will tell...

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
1,996 Posts
navtool looks cool but at the end of the day all it does is screen mirror, and for 329bux usd, it doesn't appear to be worth it.
I have an android device that tethers to my personal phone, that works great for waze, chromecast on the hdmi port for the rear screen.

Think I'm in it for the long haul with this 2012 TE with all the repairs put into it, which means one day I will tackle a stereo upgrade to something android based double din that can interface with canbus.
I'm sure it will be messy and unpleasant.

The stock stereo has already exhibited issues with the groaning whining sound on cold mornings, and on 2 occasions when I started up the vehicle, the entire nav screen was scrambled with a kaleidoscope of colors nothing legible, that was only resolved by shutting off the vehicle and restarting.

have upgraded to a sub with amp, which is covered in another post here.

Time will tell...
Yeah, the exchange rate for us Canadians is absolute murder right now. There is no chance in hell I'll be springing for a NavTool anytime soon. I'd really only want one so I could add a front camera to the van. It does bring Apple Car Play and Android Auto to vans like ours which helps the value proposition a bit if you care about stuff like that (I don't). But still...

Our Ody is a straight EX model - no Nav, no RES. So it's easy for me to make peace with the fact that the infotainment system sucks. I don't have any extra screens or plugs or access points or hard drives that suggest I could be able to do better than I already am. All we do with it is play music (AM/FM radio, USB, CD) and it's good enough for that. My kids have tablets that we tether to our cell phones for long trips, and when we decide they've had enough screen time, we kill the tether.

Reactions: jiantao
1 - 20 of 41 Posts