Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God willing, I'll be getting my RRP EXL-RES Ody here in the next week or so, can you provide a "list" of things to look for at the time of delivery that might be issues? I'm refering to things like the blocked floor vents with carpet, etc...

Thanks a lot!

Killroy

[This message has been edited by Killroy (edited 10-19-2001).]

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just make sure the dealer doesn't put on one of their "stickers" advertising where you bought. Unless they are going to pay you for this advertising, don't let them do it. Besides, the Ody is pretty good looking and doesn't need a dealership tag on it.

Most dealerships do this now. How come consumers have let this happen?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
In 1975, my brother bought a new Toyota Corolla. The dealership put a not large but not small sticker on the bumper announcing who he bought it from.

He stood there and refused delivery of the vehicle. Told them they had to put a new bumper on now, because (a) he wasn't taking it with that sticker, and (b) the sticker couldn't be removed to his satisfaction. It was a permanent sticker.

They fought, and he fought back. Guess what happened?

Ricart Ford here in central Ohio is the world's largest Ford dealer. God, that man has a huge dealership. It's not just Ford, of course; he sells everything on the lower , mainstream end (no Lexus or Acura or Mercedes types) except Toyota and Honda and GM. And this guy has a firm policy: when a car comes off the truck, it goes to cleanup and immediately gets this barn-door sized #1Ricart emblem stuck on the back. Every one.

You can't negotiate, as part of the deal, that that emblem is left off. Nope. The salesman may, out of the goodness of his heart, offer to carefully peel it off before he delivers the car--but the emblem will be put on the car, period. If they catch it within a couple of days, generally it'll peel right off with no ill effects--or so the salesman will tell you.

Check it out:

http://www.ricart.com

Check that #1Ricart logo at the top left of the page. Imagine that about 9-10 inches long, and proportionately high, stuck on the back of everything from a Focus hatchback to an Excursion.

And frequently, you see these things stuck on crooked. Wildly crooked. And people are driving around with these crooked barn-door size Ricart emblems stuck on the backs of their $40K Excursions.

I have a policy: if the dealership is the type to use license plate frames, it means he understands the entire concept and I'm happy to use his plate frame for him. But if he insists on stickers and whatnot permanently mounted, then I don't buy from him. Period.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I personally have a pet peeve when it comes to dealer marketing on the car I just spent a lot of money on. When I get home with a new car one of the first things I do is remove the paper license plates and dealer frame. I don't walk around with a Kellogs stamp on my forehead just because I had a bowl of Rice Krispies in the morning. What incentive do we have to 'advertise' for the dealer. Can you think of any other product that you do this for on a daily basis(assuming you drive your car every day)? Sorry to chime in here so loudly but I just don't understand why people allow this. Even worse are the emblems that get stuck on the cars and trucks. I see a lot of those emblems on trucks down in Texas. Anyway just my .02

·
Registered
157 Posts
I told my dealer "NO ADVERTISING STICKERS!!"

He said "no problem!" I half expected to pick up my van with stickers only to hear them say that it is required by their dealership.

Picked up my van & guess what . . . no stickers! I was amazed!

------------------
2002 MB EXL NAV
Cargo Tray, iVES, Zaino, Poron Reverse Sensors, Door Edge Guards, Fogs, & more ZAINO!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I remember one dealer in this area pulling this stunt:

Back in the fall of 83 just as the 84's were coming out, they were pulling the high mounted stop lights out (84 model year was the first year to have them) and placing their name in them. You couldn't see it when the light was off, but when you stepped on the brakes, their name showed up in black.

When I bought a car there a 3 years later, I made the salesman step on the brake while I checked out the light. Nothing there!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Killroy:
God willing, I'll be getting my RRP EXL-RES Ody here in the next week or so, can you provide a "list" of things to look for at the time of delivery that might be issues? I'm refering to things like the blocked floor vents with carpet, etc...

Thanks a lot!

Killroy

[This message has been edited by Killroy (edited 10-19-2001).]
</font>
Hi everyone, this is my first message and hopefully in 3-6 weeks I too will be the happy owner of a "2002 ODY". I too am wondering what I should look for when I go to pick up our new car. So far all the answers to Killroy just talk about "sticker ads ,etc., but there must be a whole lot more to look for.Please any help will be appreciated. Maybe a special"LIST" of some kind. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font size=+1><a href="http://1netweb.com/checklist.htm">Checklist</font></a>

[This message has never been edited by Maugham (not edited 10-21-2001).]

·
Registered
17 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:

</font>

Thanks for the checklist Maugham, it really is LONG!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just a thought for those of you who do not like the dealer emblem (sticker) on your new car. I have a 40 year old Chevy with a tag from a dealer that hasn't existed for 20 years. The tag itself is worth over $300 to collectors and the value of the car is actually greater because of the tag. It is a permanent chrome emblem complete with the holes in the trunk lid to mount it (not a sticker). Anyway I am a newly registered user and have a whole 350 miles on my 2002 Granite Green Ody EX. All is good so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ody2002:
1. A full tank of gas.
2. 2 wireless headphones and a DVD remote.
3. Rear (hammock) cargo net.
</font>
How about a sliding cargo cover? Is that come with the EXL?
Thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Corporate advertising??? OK it's a little off topic but you've just pushed a button. If NIKE wants to give me a free shirt for attending an event it sponsors I'll wear it. If it wants to put it's swoosh on the sneakers I buy then that's part of the deal and indeed a stylistic element. But I will not purchase a t-shirt that says NIKE and actually pay them to be their billboard! And I don't understand why anyone does any more than I would understand them putting a Kellogs logo on their forehead.

People pay to advertise Coke and Nike and Bud Lite and it blows me away. They should pay us.

Sorry

"Of course that's just my opinion, I may be wrong."

·
Registered
143 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2002ody:
How about a sliding cargo cover? Is that come with the EXL?
Thanks
</font>
Ha, ha, nice to meet you 2002ody! I almost got confused about which one is my user name...

Anyway, sliding cargo covers are optional. You won't get them even with the EXL. I think the cargo net is more useful than the sliding cover. If you don't want your cargo loads to be seen from outside, you can insert a shower towel in the cargo net and then hook it horizontally (hammock type).

Sid

·
Registered
25 Posts
I scratched off the dealer logo using my fingers, but it leaves a trace of glue on the edges so the letters are still visible. What products on the market can I buy to clean it off without damaging the paint? Thanks.

-Fan
2002 MB LX

·
Registered
596 Posts
LiftOff #2 is a good goo getter.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:

</font>
The checklist seems to be incomplete for the 2002 odyssey. Appears that there have been a number of other things posted here and there that should be on the list for the 2002's. BTW - thanks for actually posting a response to my original question.

While I'm at it, I'll respond to the thing about Ricart. I have a taurus I'll be trading in that I bought from Ricart and the first thing I did when I got home was to nicely pull off that billboard advertisement for his dealership. I agree, if you want to put an advertisement on my car, I charge .50 for each impression I make (people that see my car).

Killroy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts