Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are thinking about a new Mini-van, think twice about the Honda Odyssey. I'm not saying don't purchase an Odyssey, just take a hard look at the competition and think about the ethics of the company involved.

The 2011 Toyota Sienna is very competitive with an interior that is a step above the Ody. Also the Sienna is the only MV to offer AWD.

The 2011 Chrysler Mini-vans have been significantly upgraded and may be back up to level they had in the early 2000's when they were the leader.

New Nissan Quests are on the way in the Spring.

Honda has enjoyed a leadership position in the last couple of years. This may not however not have been earned.

Numerous recalls including soft brakes and transmission problems have surfaced. And then there is the PAX tire fiasco.

I just traded a 2008 Ody with only 30K miles because it was going to cost me nearly $2000 for a set of replacement PAX tires. I applied for a $300 purchase credit that had been offered for purchase of a new Honda but received a phone call indicating the terms of the settlement had expired.

My only comments: Think Twice about buying a Honda or anything with Michelin tires.

You may question why we purchased another Ody. All I can say is that is what my wife wanted and I'll admit it is a nice vehicle. But at what price - Think Twice?

·
Banned
728 Posts
I've spent plenty of time test driving both and the Odyssey's interior wins hand down. As to AWD, fewer than 15% of consumers buy one and most people don't need it. No bid reason to go to a Sienna, in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Not sure if I follow this post, buyer's remorse? Wife rules in the house? Did the dealer make you a bad face? ;)

I guess this can become a long "justifying my purchase" thread but here we go:
  • There are many Honda and Honda Odyssey owners here and they love their Honda minivans, SUVs, sedans, lawn mowers, etc. It is not all bad
  • It seems that Honda has addressed many issues highlighted below, so is kind of old news
  • All minivans have flaws, recalls, issues, whatever. Just check any other minivan forum, you'll see
  • In those forums you'll also find that the OEM tires usually suck and they are swapped as fast as owners are able to, it is not just the Michelin brand per-se. Problem here is that the PAX ones sucked even wor$$$e as there was no other PAX/Non-PAX brand replacement to go for (unless you "de-PAX" the car or whatever is called)
  • And subjective, but I compared to every car you list below (add the Chrysler transplant VW Routan) and the 2011 Odyssey beat them hands-down

Anyway, time will tell with this generation, enjoy the car in the meanwhile :D

·
Registered
739 Posts
The Ody interior is way better than the Sienna. Now if you're talking exterior, you have a valid point.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if I follow this post, buyer's remorse? Wife rules in the house? Did the dealer make you a bad face? ;)

I guess this can become a long "justifying my purchase" thread but here we go:
  • There are many Honda and Honda Odyssey owners here and they love their Honda minivans, SUVs, sedans, lawn mowers, etc. It is not all bad
  • It seems that Honda has addressed many issues highlighted below, so is kind of old news
  • All minivans have flaws, recalls, issues, whatever. Just check any other minivan forum, you'll see
  • In those forums you'll also find that the OEM tires usually suck and they are swapped as fast as owners are able to, it is not just the Michelin brand per-se. Problem here is that the PAX ones sucked even wor$$$e as there was no other PAX/Non-PAX brand replacement to go for (unless you "de-PAX" the car or whatever is called)
  • And subjective, but I compared to every car you list below (add the Chrysler transplant VW Routan) and the 2011 Odyssey beat them hands-down

Anyway, time will tell with this generation, enjoy the car in the meanwhile :D
You nearly have the gist of the post
• ODY is wife's vehicle. This is the 3rd one we've owned 05-08-011.
• Honda hasn't been too bad in addressing problems.
• I recognize that all cars potentially have flaws.
• The PAX problem is particularly noxious to me because it wasn't corrected, it cost every owner with this feature and even with a law suit Honda/Michelin are trying to negate a problem.

·
Registered
80 Posts
• The PAX problem is particularly noxious to me because it wasn't corrected, it cost every owner with this feature and even with a law suit Honda/Michelin are trying to negate a problem.
there's no PAX system in the 11's.

I did think twice....probably 5 or 6 x's.

I initially wanted the Sienna because of the fact that it featured AWD. I've always had 4wd or AWD SUV's. However, comparing the 2....and driving both, the 2011 Odyssey wins. Even with some "glitches", I'm very pleased with the purchase. Sienna doesn't drive well...it's like a boat. The push button start is a nice feature as well as the reclining "sofa" like 2nd row seats...but at what price?? Did you not see those "rails" on which the 2nd row seats sits on? They are proned to having stuff stuck in them. My boys always eat chips or crackers...and eventually enough crap with get those rails stuck..thus not being able to fully utilize the back and forth feature of adjusting the seats. Not to mention SAND or dirt or grime....

here's a video made by Edmunds...who compared the 2.

BTW, there isn't any floor mat protection either...Weathertech doesn't offer any floor liners on Sienna because of those long rails that can't be covered.

Weathertech is supposedly coming out w/Odysseys in 5-9 weeks.

I went ahead and got the OEM all season floor mats....to protect the carpet.

Let's not even mention the Dodge/Chrysler Minivan in the conversation. They got no thought whatsoever.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our dealer put on a set of new tires (either PAX or dePax) at a third of the cost and sold our trade in within a day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think every vehicle purchase gets people think a lot these days, considering the economy...

With that said, Odyssey still seems a reasonable buy, despite the ugly styling of the new vehicle. I'm going to wait a while to find how things go in the minivan market. (I actually like the new Nissan Quest styling, however the mileage seems quite poor.)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
No need for a warning....I would not even think once about a Honda......

By the way....that goes for the Chrysler too......You want to throw money out the window.....by a Chrysler....drive off the lot with a 4o K van...Get home it's worth 19k.

At least honda has great resale...I'll givem that

·
Registered
9 Posts
Everyone is entitled to his opinion, but I'll tell you I looked at both the Sienna XLE and Odyssey EX-L. I really wanted the Sienna because it was about the same trim, and cheaper and they are hurting so I could talk them down more...

To say that the Sienna has a nicer interior... I have to say I don't agree with that at all, the Honda is miles above. Even the Motor Trend article (on Toyota's web page) agrees.

I'll have to admit, I didn't care for the look of the Odyssey from the sliding door back but it has really grown on me. Now the Sienna looks very boring to me...

To each his own... I don't think you'll regret getting either, but to me the Odyssey is hands down nicer.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Well..I was in the New Oddy..and I thought the interior was ****ty cheap to the eye and to the touch

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well..I was in the New Oddy..and I thought the interior was ****ty cheap to the eye and to the touch
You should try and sit in the new Sienna than, even cheaper interior than the Oddy, esp. that horribly fake wood that looks as bad as some of the 1980's cars fake wood trims. It's that bad.. esp in a vehicle that can approach $45k loaded. Unfortunately alot of the Toyota's lately the interiors have gotten cheap, which is strange since their Lexus division still makes some of the nicest interiors around..

That said, I will agree that the Oddy interior isn't that great either, esp in a vehicle that can approach $45k loaded, but a step up over the numerious Sienna's I drove.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I do not like real wood in a car either......Wood belongs on a Stage Coach...not a car

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've spent plenty of time test driving both and the Odyssey's interior wins hand down. As to AWD, fewer than 15% of consumers buy one and most people don't need it. No bid reason to go to a Sienna, in my opinion.
Agreed. We only looked at the Sienna for the AWD, but in our opinion the Oddy drives better and slightly nicer interior and I prefer the strange styling, where as the Sienna is too bland, looks like a 6 yr old van from the sides. Furthermore the Sienna AWD has poor EPA gas mileage #'s, only 22 highway vs 28 for Oddy. Sorry the AWD isn't worth a 6mpg penalty over Oddy. People forget the AWD only helps for traction, doesn't do anything for braking/steering. A oddy with dedicated snow tires will do better than an AWD sienna with the regular all seasons. Seen it time and time again.

If we compare apples to apples the front drive Sienna EPA is pretty poor, only 24 highway vs the Oddy's 28 highway. I've already gotten 30+ highway in my new Oddy, better than the sticker.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you are thinking about a new Mini-van, think twice about the Honda Odyssey. I'm not saying don't purchase an Odyssey, just take a hard look at the competition and think about the ethics of the company involved.

The 2011 Toyota Sienna is very competitive with an interior that is a step above the Ody. Also the Sienna is the only MV to offer AWD.

The 2011 Chrysler Mini-vans have been significantly upgraded and may be back up to level they had in the early 2000's when they were the leader.

New Nissan Quests are on the way in the Spring.

Honda has enjoyed a leadership position in the last couple of years. This may not however not have been earned.

Numerous recalls including soft brakes and transmission problems have surfaced. And then there is the PAX tire fiasco.

I just traded a 2008 Ody with only 30K miles because it was going to cost me nearly $2000 for a set of replacement PAX tires. I applied for a $300 purchase credit that had been offered for purchase of a new Honda but received a phone call indicating the terms of the settlement had expired.

My only comments: Think Twice about buying a Honda or anything with Michelin tires.

You may question why we purchased another Ody. All I can say is that is what my wife wanted and I'll admit it is a nice vehicle. But at what price - Think Twice?

LOL! You do realize a set of tires is far cheaper than trading a fairly new (2008 with only 30k miles) and getting a new vehicle, LOL! Financial common sense... You can DE-pax for far cheaper than $2k. You do realize that in 2008 you didn't have to buy the PAX tires, they were optional.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Call me crazy, but I'm thinking that the tires were not the only issue here. I would not think twice about purchasing another Honda and I have had this Ody for 8-years and 160.000-miles. Certainly things will go wrong, but unlike Toyota - Honda did not try to cover-up the problems; they corrected them.

I recently had the opportunity to compare both the Odyssey EX-L and Sienna XLE at a side-by-side comparison at the mall. I may have Honda-envy, but I have also owned a Toyota (which I parted with after only 58.000-miles) First, just to get it out of the way, the Sienna has been slapped with the ugly stick just as hard as the Odyssey this generation, but I felt that the leather was a higher quality and the overall finish would last the many years of abuse for better than the Toyota. And, in my opinion, Honda places much more thought into placement and the wants/needs of the passengers than Toyota. The one thing that concerned me with the Toyota were the captains chairs that articulate into all kinds of positions - I'd be concerned that one of my children would hurt themselves - but the "host" advised that the chairs were more for people who have the van and no/older children.

As for cost - I believe that you have to look at vehicles as depreciating object - and are you going to pay a higher price (i.e... better R&D, better materials) and have a more expensive vehicle with fewer issues down the road, or pay a lower cost up front and higher repair bills over the life of the vehicle. I looked at the Sienna in 2002 when I purchased the Odyssey and still opted for the Odyssey with a price tag that was about $3.000 more comparably equipped. The following year, I added a Toyota Camry SE to the fleet - this was a $27.000 Camry and after 58.000-miles when I was so disappointed in the vehicle and looking for an Accord I totaled it. But, the car was falling apart already and I baby my cars as all of the many cars I own go well over 100.000-miles in very good condition.

I still stand behind my Honda even with the replacement transmission and non-functioning vent windows.... because the vehicle has lasted 160.000-miles with relatively few repairs other than regular maintenance and the cost to fix is not huge. If my Ody "croaked" tomorrow, I'd be right back at my Honda dealer asking for another....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts