Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone names Brett I joined a couple of days ago. I have been looking around to get more info on the Odyssey's. The family needs are growing and my wife says that my Scion xB just isn't big enough anymore.
I have been looking at 02'-04' Odysseys and thinking that I might be able to give up my Box for one.
We have a small Pop-up camper (Coleman Taos) that we tow with my wifes car right now and I am pretty sure the Odyssey would be towing it if I get one.

Looks like a pretty good site from what I have looked at so far.

B-

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Welcome!
If you're going to tow you'll need a transmission cooler installed. Do a search on this forum and you'll find lots about towing with an Odyssey.

·
Registered
148 Posts
...And lots of broken transmissions

Would not recommend those years for towing or even buying used.
Too many transmission failures. Maybe you will get lucky. Maybe not. $2000-$5000 to rebuild transmission. Maintaining it perfectly? Still breaks. Towing is even more of a strain and even Honda says must install a transmission cooler and power steering cooler to tow. Also note, max towing wt allowed is reduced with each added passenger in the car.

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=609899#post609899

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I have read up on them alittle more, but from the sounds of it people with just about all years (not to mention makes of minivans) are having tranny problems. To be hoenst with you I take all the information on the net with a grain of salt. I belive that if all the vans had this problem more people would be complaining about it. There are alot of people with the problem but did every Odyssey buitl in that time frame have the problem???
The Taos fully loaded is under 1700lbs, so I am nowhere near the max allowed fornthe Odyssey. When I went to put the hitch on my wifes Escape everyone told me not to tow with it. They said it can't tow anything besides itself. I have had no problem with it yet towing the Taos or a small utilty trailer...

Brett-

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hope you are lucky. Many transmissions broke. Saying that "all do not fail" so "mine cannot possibly fail" is silly.

Get big discount . Afford to fix the transmission. If not broken, money in your pocket.
Common problems such and engine mounts, EGR system, Cat converter, heater fan resistor, coils, timing belts. Account for them, get a discount, that makes sense. Saying that problems cannot possibly exist makes no sense.

A famous quote says:

"Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. - Winston Churchill

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok you obviously have had a problem with your transmission and are mad about it.

First I didn't say that "mine cannot possibly fail" I said that not all of them have failed.

Any other Minivan that I would also look at will have common problems like the ones you have stated, so are you saying The odyssey is junk and don't buy one unless I buy new with an extended warranty???

There is a chance with buying any used vehicle. You may be buying a lemon that someone just had enough of or you get a well cared for vehicle that the previous owners needs changed and they traded it in.

B-

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Moosejuice, I had the same reaction as buildit when I read your post that he was replying to. You are coming across as being a bit defensive.

You came here and asked for advice, and if you want to disregard the answers you get that's up to you. You are right about taking what you read on the Internet with a grain of salt. But the people on this forum have quite a bit of experience and history with Odysseys.

If you want to tow a trailer with an Ody in that model year range, go right ahead. It sounds like you already made up your mind and don't like what you are hearing here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am sorry, I didn't mean to come across as defensive. Some of his advice is good and supported by this forum.

I guess that since Odyssey aren't any good at towing then Maybe I should look at other van's?

Brett-

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Moosejuice said:
I guess that since Odyssey aren't any good at towing then Maybe I should look at other van's?
I don't think the consensus is that Odysseys aren't good for towing. I think the model years you originally mentioned ('02-'04) are in the time period where there were higher than normal transmission failures. I would avoid those years if you are planning on towing.

A different thread I saw earlier today mentioned that transmissions were improved/redesigned with year 2007. I wonder if there is a higher confidence in towing with an Odyssey if you were to consider a more recent model year.

Here's the post I read earlier. The last post in the thread mentions model years.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42579

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the link, I guess the Odyssey migth not be the van for me then as an 07' and up is out of my budget.

It is too bad as I really like the Odyssey...

Brett-

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm sure to get flamed on this :flame: but you may want to look at a used GM minivan, for light towing. They have reliable transmissions GM has made for years. But those periodically also require rebuilds, but I have 200k on my old one I'm selling btw and nothing but fluid / filter changes.

Downside is they have intake manifold coolant leaks, but the updated gasket has held mine over 100k w/o issues after the original one failed.

further negatives are they don't ride as nice, and interior fit and finish is a long way off, engine power is not as strong - but good torque. From a functional standpoint they are a good alternative. Many like mine have built in aircompressor and load leveling air shocks, good for towing. I have a 2" class III hitch installed so I know they fit. they also don't have timing belts to change or require valve adjustments. But they make the Honda look easy to service, mine is the most difficult vehicle to work on I've ever experienced, however shops do them all the time and don't mind.

I have not done looking at Toyota but I doubt they are built for towing either, I get impression they are not built as heavy.

If you do go there, the interior seats and options vary considerably, look at the Olds versions for upscale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts