Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am in desperate need of advice.
I am about to buy Honda Odyssey 2002 with 210,000 km on it.
I am going to buy it from reputable dealershop and I have been shown a list with some work done at this car by the shop totaling 1,400 after they have purchased it. (As far as I know it was a trade in).
I am in Canada and they have show me only ICBC records where no accidents are shown but they told me that the car has been in one coming to about 8,500 in repair (front, or front angle colision).
I drove the car and it handles very nice. I am hasitant a bit because they do not provide a carfax (VIN is 2HKRL18682H009290 and if someone can help me with geting autocheck or carfax I will be very gratefull).

Long story short:
The asking price is around 8K (CAD) and they will either change the timing belt if it is up for a change or drop 500 from the price.
The question is should I walk away or try to negotiate the price. At what price I should aim?

The car is EX edition and has no problems. The tires are new, but chip brand unknown to me Champiro or something like this.

Your thoughts?
Zack

·
Registered
389 Posts
On autotrader, this same van with 200K+ km is going for about $6500+. If you were to replace all the belts, this job alone is about $700 and up. You need to check if the transmission has been replaced. My 2002 EX I had number of years back was babied and it still required a transmission replacement. If this hasn't been done, I'd stay away. If it was, I'd say $7000 would be a fair price for it. Where are you btw?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You will usually pay top price at a dealer, in exchange for some support (?) should something go wrong soon after purchase. On the other hand, when you buy from a private seller, you usually pay less, but once you hand over the cheque you are on your own. It's a trade-off. The best way to go depends on your priorities.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had some new information on the car:
Transmision is original. :(
Timing belt is brand new.
Rear breaks too.
The car has been inspected and seems to be OK (the dealer is reputable and I was told that in 90 days I can do something - not sure what exactly what).
The price could be dropped to $7,000 (most likely).

I am from British Columbia and cars here are the most expensive in whole Canada. I start thinking to go on a trip to US and buy one.
About transmisions. I heard that they are bad but can't I just insure transmision and engine at Power shield (around 1,700 for 4 years or 160,000 whichever comes first)?

Thanks
Zack

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's your call. Personally, I'd avoid. I also don't have much faith in third party warranties. Too many cases where they are not honoured. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Your hesitation over the transmission is justified IMHO. Is there any way you can get into a 2005 or later Ody (aka Gen 3)? They have a better transmission and also you may get one with lower kms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts