Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing an 02 EX but I am concerned about the tranny issues. It has 93k miles on it and everything checks out pretty clean. It has had one owner and regular maintenance.

I have the vin which indicates it was manufactured in Alabama and the EGR valve was replaced at 40k miles.

In y'alls honest opinion are these the ones I need to worry about going out on me or are they just the canadian ones?

Thank you so much for your time and opinion in advance!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The trans are probably all built in the same place, and they definitely have the same design.

I'm likely to trade in my 2002 that is approaching transmission failure. You wouldn't know it on a simple test drive, but there are hints of its imminent demise. It threw a P0730 code early this week and I cleared it.

If you buy a 2002, plan for a 1.5-3k charge for a transmission.

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
This van should also have had either the oil jet kit installed or the transmission replaced with a newer design (depending on the result of the 2nd gear test). If this recall wasn't done, pass on the van.

Generally speaking, transmissions in 2002 had a high number of failures, but not all have failed. If cash is an issue, you may be further ahead to buy an older model for less and bank the savings in case of major problems.

Has the timing belt been changed? If not, it is due now. Cost is about $1,000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts