Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got our 2011 Odyssey Touring Elite 2 weeks ago, and really love everything minus the 3rd Row Headrests. When they are in use they tend to block the rear window. Not sure what we are going to do yet, might remove them completely or just rely on the side mirrors when the back row is in use (we do have the blindspot detection which is helpful). Was also just considering purchasing two more headrests that resemble the 2nd row seats.

Anyone else find this annoying?

Don

2011 Grey Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
2007 Grey Honda Pilot w/Nav

·
Registered
2 Posts
Why would you take them out or replace them? How bout you just dont raise them up. If you arent' using the seat then fold it down. If you are using the seat then someones head is probably in the way anyway. On top of that you have a rearview camera.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Why would you take them out or replace them? How bout you just dont raise them up. If you arent' using the seat then fold it down. If you are using the seat then someones head is probably in the way anyway. On top of that you have a rearview camera.
If you don't raise the headrests up in the third row, the seat is extremely uncomfortable. If you do raise them up, they tend to block the entire back left and right portions of the window (unlike say someone's head). When no one is in the third row, this is not an issue.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Pretty much a fact of life on a 3-row vehicle. I recall some MB's offering power rear headrests so you could lower them from the front. Honda isn't quite there with features:DD

The seatback is relatively low so I don't think regular headrests (like the 2nd row) would be an improvement.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I understand why they designed the headrests the way they did (so as to be able to stow the seats easily), but they could have at least made them comfortable if you didn't lift up the headrest in the 3rd row. As they are now, they tend to dig into anyones back that is sitting there. I did look at the Honda video showing off the 3rd row, and the gentleman in the video doesn't have the headrest up, kinda lending to the idea that it's still comfortable even when they're not up.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I did look at the Honda video showing off the 3rd row, and the gentleman in the video doesn't have the headrest up, kinda lending to the idea that it's still comfortable even when they're not up.
What makes you say that? I think marketing videos do just that. The reality is that there are DOT rules that require a headrest be in position for each passenger. A sure fire way to make sure the head rests are moved into the proper position is to make them sit on top of the seat back as opposed to being recessed in some fashion.

At lease the headrests slide up and down easily, as opposed to our current 2008 Sienna that requires 2 hand sand some tugging to get the headrests back down.

As others have posted; if there are people in the back row, the headrests don't really take away any more of the view out the rear window. If there are no passengers, why not just drop them out of the way like they were designed to operate and improve the rearward visibility??

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What makes you say that? I think marketing videos do just that. The reality is that there are DOT rules that require a headrest be in position for each passenger. A sure fire way to make sure the head rests are moved into the proper position is to make them sit on top of the seat back as opposed to being recessed in some fashion.

At lease the headrests slide up and down easily, as opposed to our current 2008 Sienna that requires 2 hand sand some tugging to get the headrests back down.

As others have posted; if there are people in the back row, the headrests don't really take away any more of the view out the rear window. If there are no passengers, why not just drop them out of the way like they were designed to operate and improve the rearward visibility??
Just was saying that in the video produced by Honda, the person showing the 3rd row seats was sitting in the left seat without the headrest up, not with it up like you would have to do to be comfortable, which again I contend (correctly or incorrectly) that it makes it look as though one could sit in that seat without needing to raise the headrest.

This is just one small complaint. If I were to complain about something that really bugged me it would be having both of the headsets plugins (for corded headsets) on the same side, or not having the HDMI input on the same side with the RCA jacks.

Overall we are very pleased with this Odyssey (our 3rd).

·
Banned
728 Posts
Just was saying that in the video produced by Honda, the person showing the 3rd row seats was sitting in the left seat without the headrest up, not with it up like you would have to do to be comfortable, which again I contend (correctly or incorrectly) that it makes it look as though one could sit in that seat without needing to raise the headrest.

This is just one small complaint. If I were to complain about something that really bugged me it would be having both of the headsets plugins (for corded headsets) on the same side, or not having the HDMI input on the same side with the RCA jacks.

Overall we are very pleased with this Odyssey (our 3rd).
Your point is well taken, but if you want to test the theory (and not rely on the video), just sit in the third row yourself with the headrest down and let us know what you think. I know what I think. :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your point is well taken, but if you want to test the theory (and not rely on the video), just sit in the third row yourself with the headrest down and let us know what you think. I know what I think. :)
That's the problem, I have sat in the 3rd row, and it's very uncomfortable with the headrest down (akin to being stabbed in the back actually). The only way to comfortably sit in that row is to have the headrest completely up. When this is accomplished, the seat is very comfortable. The only problem then is that it blocks the drivers vision in the back window. Thankfully I have the Touring Elite so we have blindside indicators (which work very well), and I tend to look over my shoulder before I change lanes anyway.

Maybe eventually they'll design the seat in such a way that the headrests more resemble the front and middle seats, while at the same time allowing the one handed stowing of the 3rd row seat when the time comes for that to be needed.

Still love the Odyssey Touring Elite, and am constantly learning new things that it's able to do.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It could but at the end of the day is still a Honda (and a van) so who would pay for that premium? ;)
Have to disagree, being as though the Oddy Touring and Touring Elite are priced the same as the lower/middle end Acura MDX. Remember the majority of Oddy sales (one report quotes 72%) are the higher end ones.. EXL with leather and higher. I could see someone (esp an Oddy buyer) paying more for power headrests. My 1988 BMW 535 had this feature..

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's the problem, I have sat in the 3rd row, and it's very uncomfortable with the headrest down (akin to being stabbed in the back actually). The only way to comfortably sit in that row is to have the headrest completely up. When this is accomplished, the seat is very comfortable. The only problem then is that it blocks the drivers vision in the back window. Thankfully I have the Touring Elite so we have blindside indicators (which work very well), and I tend to look over my shoulder before I change lanes anyway.

Maybe eventually they'll design the seat in such a way that the headrests more resemble the front and middle seats, while at the same time allowing the one handed stowing of the 3rd row seat when the time comes for that to be needed.

Still love the Odyssey Touring Elite, and am constantly learning new things that it's able to do.
You have the sideview mirrors if the back window is blocked... I don't notice it as being as that big of a problem and we routinely use the 3rd row.
I wouldn't trust those blindside indicators.. The proper thing is to look, like you mentioned.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Have to disagree, being as though the Oddy Touring and Touring Elite are priced the same as the lower/middle end Acura MDX.
My point is that the Odyssey is still a Honda regardless of the price of its top trims. The day Acura comes with an Acura 'ODX' :D, then that day we might have better hopes for seeing those types of upscale features that other luxury/performance brands offer (and noting that Acura is still not a BMW nor an MB level vehicle from my eyes, even with that awesome residual value and the fact that you can still get a TSX with 6MT!)

·
Registered
427 Posts
My point is that the Odyssey is still a Honda regardless of the price of its top trims. The day Acura comes with an Acura 'ODX' :D, then that day we might have better hopes for seeing those types of upscale features that other luxury/performance brands offer (and noting that Acura is still not a BMW nor an MB level vehicle from my eyes, even with that awesome residual value and the fact that you can still get a TSX with 6MT!)
True! But even Acura doesn't offer the power headrests either..
I'm glad Acura is still not a BMW or MB level vehicle, esp on the maintenance/ reliability end. While my BMW was a nice car, after 5yrs+ of ownership, maint. and repairs was far more expensive then my Honda's, far more expensive then my Infiniti's as well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was told the 3rd row headrests were designed that way to meet government safety regulations. But who knows... sales people say the craziest things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our kids are young and not too tall, so when they sit in the third row their heads barely clear the seatback. However, the headrests must be fully raised for them to sit comfortably, which blocked much of the rear view. I found that you can remove the headrests and rotate them 180 degrees and re-install them so that they are facing backwards. This setup allows them to stay in place but be out of the way. You do need to change them back before you stow the third row. For obvious safety reasons, I wouldn't recommend this setup unless your third-row passengers are short enough that their heads don't clear the seatback.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I think I have read they were made that way so they are uncomfortable if down to "encourage" you to raise it. Most people don't realize a head rest is a safety thing to prevent your head snapping backwards in a crash, not just a place to put your head. The back row is tricky because the headrests have to be kind of low and hidey so you can fold the seat, and I'd guess 9 times out of 10 if you put an adult back there they would never think to raise it. The Odyssey gently "reminds" them. :D

I agree they look WEIRD if all the way up and I wish it wasn't all up or all down but I am used to having 2 things back there - I have two kids in tall car seats on either side - so I have learned to work around that. You use your side view mirrors, you check a little more carefully for "invisible" cars, etc.

I have to admit when we first put the girls in the 3rd row like that in the old Sienna... I backed into a car in a parking lot. There was a tow truck parked right behind me. So I looked right and left and right and no one was coming and then I backed into a tow truck. I was mortified. It was not one of my finer moments. So I've really learned to work around things in the back seat since then.

The back up camera in the odyssey is probably the single most thing that gives me any reason to say it is better than my old car. Of course that isn't going to help when you are driving forwards... and it's not in all models now but I think it will be son - but you do learn to work around things like headrests when changing lanes or whatever.

The above tip might be useful - mine are just removed and in my basement because you can't install a car seat over them. of course then if you are out and need them, you don't have them.

·
Registered
395 Posts
True! While my BMW was a nice car, after 5yrs+ of ownership, maint. and repairs was far more expensive then my Honda's, far more expensive then my Infiniti's as well.
How many times did you have to replace the power window regulators? I had to replace three of them ... plus a >$2,000 job to fix a leak in the condenser ... :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our kids are young and not too tall, so when they sit in the third row their heads barely clear the seatback. However, the headrests must be fully raised for them to sit comfortably, which blocked much of the rear view.
Same here. We usually have kids sit in the back and have to raise the headrests just so it doesn't hit their back.Noticed the middle headrest of the 3rd row was the smaller kind. Thinking of ordering two extra to use in the left and right seats. Anyone try that?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts