Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Is your 3rd-row storage container broken?

• Not broken.

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Yes, my kids broke it.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Yes, somebody else's kids broke it.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Yes, an adult broke it.

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my second Odyssey, a 2002 LX, after my 2000 LX was totaled. My kids have broken the hinges on the third-row storage container on both vehicles--both before they were a year old, I think. Just thought it would be fun to have a poll on how many folks have broken third-row storage containers.

·
Registered
14,043 Posts
Mine was already broken when I bought my 02 used. So I voted someone elses's kids. The rear of the seat grab handles (EX) were also loose, one hanging. When my brother-in-law and I were looking at it before purchase, we figured the previous owners had boys. I really didn't care as I was buying it to use as a truck. My wife's 03 LX still has the cover intact.

·
Registered
218 Posts
We just sold our '99 LX and the covers were intact. Our girls (3 and 5) were frequent way-back passengers...

Of course, they're also intact on the 05 with 800 miles:D

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Was broken when bought used. Tried to fabricate an extra hinge but soon resorted to the dealer fixing it right. My oldest uses it alot so it was worth it to fix.

H

·
0 Posts
NOT

not broken, but then again the only time i am back there is when removing child seat number 3 when i have to put the third row down (think home depot items for daddy).

we keep a bunch of plastic bags in our for those on the road diaper changes.

·
Registered
248 Posts
JB Weld fix?

Hey folks. This hasn't been talked about in quite a while but when I purchased my used '02 it had a broken 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] row compartment hinge on its right side (as you face the bin). Whereas the other side had an intact loop into which a removable pin was inserted thus permitting the lid to be rotated up & down, the broken side just had the remains of a loop with the top half missing or otherwise snapped off. Hence, since the lid only rotated on one side it was loose and basically cock-eyed & non-functional. Enough owners evidently had this issue over the years (third row children were the usual suspects) such that a poll was once taken here at odyclub to see how widespread it was. I suspect that many people have continued to experience the problem over the years but the conventional fix is so extreme, replacing the entire side panel for what amounts to a minor annoyance, that many just gave up & lived with it. Anyway, I appear to have fixed mine using an old friend; namely JB Weld. Below are 2 pictures and I will be glad to provide more detail if anyone wants more. But I don’t want to waste bandwidth if this is essentially a non-issue for most members. Note that my effort is a rig job for those who, like me, only have one broken loop … although JB Weld, and a little ingenuity, could probably combine to create a fix for those who have broken both of the loops.

Lid with labels2.jpg good pic no labels.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well I guess they "fixed" this issue the same way they fixed the issue with the 3rd row window motors dying. Just get rid of them! The '11+ doesn't have containers and I think it is LAME. We had the cubbies in our old Sienna and never had a problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
My '04 DGC has a storage container on one side. NEVER have had a problem with it - works just fine but my kids never used it much either. I do wish I had some type of storage in my Ody. Yes they sure 'fixed' it. Even an open cubbie would be sufficient.

·
Registered
69 Posts
We just traded in our '03. Our storage container never broke and we never had a problem with it. That being said, it was also rarely opened.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maria if it was open you'd lose a comfy place to rest your elbow. :)
We could sew little stuffed cubby tops for that and make a mint ;-) (too bad I don't sew and the cubbies don't exist...)!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts