Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the ex-l last December and since day one it has had this annoying vibration at speeds between 50 - 60 mph. It is not a shake the steering wheel type of a vibration but it is enough to certainly think something is not right in the drive train. It is at the dealers and at this time and only has 1100 miles on it. After the dealer checked the motor mounts, rebalanced the tires and updated the computer they tell me the vibration is normal due to the variable cylinders. In my 36 years of driving I have owned many new vehicles and never recall any of them having this type of vibration.

So my question is to all you odyssey owners is this normal when it is running on three cylinders?

Thanks

·
Registered
144 Posts
Nope not normal. Only way I can tell its on 3 cylinders is when the Eco light turns on. If the vibration coincides with the Eco function then it could be problem but it is not normal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2012 Touring does this and a 2011 EXL that I had for 3 days did the exact same thing. Seems to be common but not acceptable. No fix for mine has occurred yet, dealer states it is " normal" since they have no fix. There is supposedly a software update that will fix this according to my dealer. I am not too confident that any software update will fix it and simply plan to get rid of my vehicle within the warranty period. Hands down, the single worst/most disappointing vehicle I have ever purchased.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered mine and never took it for a test drive before I took delivery. My mistake assuming everything would be just fine. I did test drive two others before I ordered and neither had the vibration my vehicle has. I believe from experience that any vibration in any car is a sign that something is wrong and will not consider being told it's normal by the dealer as acceptable. The problem is since it's considered normal by the dealer what options do I have?

Please don't get me wrong, I love my odyssey but not the vibration.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I don't have a vibration between 50-60 but I do get some type pedal vibration when I let go of the gas or the car is just coastings with slight pressure on the pedal. I believe this is the cylinder eco function but it still is weird. Mentioned to dealer and they said that is normal because of the Eco function, but it still doesn't feel right. I know it is not the same thing as the OP just chiming in.

·
Registered
395 Posts
We all feel vibration so it is normal to have "vibration," unless it is "excessive". However, how do we measure the degree of vibration? When 3 out of the 6 cylinders are shut off in ECO mode and when you need to speed up, all these cylinders will all have to wake up, plus perhaps some downshift from the tranny. It will be really surprising if we DON'T feel anything at all. Does the car otherwise drive smoothly and good gas mileage?

·
Registered
216 Posts
FWIW no vibration in any of the 8 2012 Ody's I drove before buying. In some I could tell when it was going in and out of VCM, but it wasn't objectionable. The one we ended up buying is smooth and has imperceptible transitions in and out of VCM.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Get used to that type of response from Honda. 9mpg, Horrible valve train noise are also "Normal" according to Honda. Which is why they will never see another dime of mine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Hoffy!
I got the same problem as you describe. My 11' Touring Ody got slice vibration at about 40-60 mph. After 2 visits to dealer, they did rotated, balanced, check the suspension and told that everyting is normal, but they did not solve it.
I took my car to independent dealer for them to roadforce balance all the tires. Unfortunately, it still not run like a normal car.
The vibration is definitely can feel throught my body while driving on certain speed.
It's my first Honda, i order without testdrive and it's really a big mistake.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts

I made the same mistake on my 04. Bought it based on the great reviews.......As you said..BIG MiSTAKE

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I made the same mistake on my 04. Bought it based on the great reviews.......As you said..BIG MiSTAKE
Yup, fully agreed. "Try before you buy" rule, especially for mass produced vehicles (sounds ironic though)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I met with the service manager yesterday and he agrees that there is a distinct vibration starting at 52 mph. He told me he drove two other odysseys and both have the same issue. He even took me for a ride in one of them and sure enough the vibration was present. He called Honda and was told they are aware of the problem but do not have a fix for it at this time. The service manager even mentioned if he paid this kind of money for a car it should drive smooth as silk. So I guess I will have to live with the vibration until they either get a fix or I trade it. Lesson learned to always drive the car your going to buy and not just a short drive around the block.

Good luck everyone else with this problem.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Solution- Buy a freaking Toyota....Smooth as butter.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2011 EXL, about 12K on mine now and am experienceing not only the vibrations at various speeds(felt in the accelerator pedal, my seat and the steering wheel) not always in ECO and it seems like the tranny can't make up it's mind to run in 3rd or overdrive. I have had some rough shifts 3rd to 4th also.
I agree that vibration is not normal and I did not have this problem the first 10 or 11000 miles
at which time I only felt the slight change when entering or exiting ECO
I need to take it in ( man I hate to go to the dealer)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 EX-L with 7000 km's on it. I have also mentioned this vibration to my dealer and, in a test drive, they could not sense the same issue. (I was not with them) I experience it at "slight acceleration" at speeds above 60 km/h (approx 40 mph) and more constant at 80-90 km/h. Seems as though it could be a torque converter issue or something? Hanging up on a gear? As soon as i acclerate harder it goes away.

At first I thought it could be vibration from VCM but it would happen at times when cylinder's were not cut back. Definitely seems like something in tranny.

I do hope Honda figures out a fix for this!

·
Registered
128 Posts
If this is a tranny issue, are we saying the 5 speed also have issues now? Have seen a fair amount of complaints with the 6 speed.

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
Well, Honda has become well known for their fantastic transmissions

·
Registered
10 Posts
2012 EX-L w/ RES

So I've had my 2012 EX-L w/ RES for about 3 awful weeks now. From day one, both my wife and I have noticed an unusual vibration in the vehicle (seats, chassis). I've been to two separate dealerships; both balanced the tires one of which road force balanced them, with no changes. They did put in a call to the "tech" line and no complaints have been filed about this issue (contradicting what others on this forum have stated). They also contacted the DPSM (district parts/service manager) about this problem and I was told I could schedule an appointment with him to drive the vehicle the next time he's at the dealership. This dealership was helpful and admitted themselves that the vehicle has a vibration. At both dealerships we compared it to other brand new Odysseys with similar results, but not highway speeds. The vibe was noted in both other vehicles, thus its being called a characteristic of this vehicle. I have noticed that highway speeds between 70 and 80 mph increase this vibration significantly and seems to cause the vibration once off the highway to be more pronounced at lower speeds. The vibration at high speeds is such a high frequency that its seems like a buzzing in the car, inducing driver related fatigue.
I have initiated a complaint on 2012 Honda Odyssey Vibration Felt Throughout The Car | CarComplaints.com Please add your complaints here as well (strength in numbers). I also filed a complaint directly with Honda at 800-999-1009. I was told by the saleswomen who sold me the car that is the first complaint she has heard of this and told me to file a complaint to Honda of America at the number I listed above. She said Honda won't recognize a problem if its not documented by enough customers.

Lastly, I plan on using the accelerometers in my iPhone to evaluate the vehicles vibrations and attempt to determine what is considered to be an acceptable vibration level. I'll follow up once I have some numbers.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts