Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda, frugal that they are, used the seat heater switches from the Acura TL when they put heated seats into the EXL.

Not a bad thing, parts bin engineering, but nobody really thought it out, did they? On the Acura the switches are literally at your fingertips, right on the center console. It does not make sense to use those same switches where Honda put them on the Ody. Honda really should have engineered custom switches for the current location, or else found a central and easily controlled location if they insisted on using the existing switches.

They *should* have put them on the side of the seats, to the inside, where the driver could easily turn them both off.

Ten bucks says they fix that for 2003. They probably just didn't have enough time to work with it all once the marketing specs were laid out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've got an '02 EX-L w/ Navi on order.

Quick Question on the Heated Seats. Are just the cushions heated or both the cushions and seatbacks?

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Personally I don't mind the heater switch location. I do wish they would re-set to the "off" position when you turn off the ignition. Minor gripe though, I love the seat heaters!
BTW, it seems to me that the lower seat back is also heated, not just the cushion. I feel the heat radiate up my lower back. Excellent!

------------------
'02 RP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted" G.Keillor

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yep, those are TL switches. I wish the switches were electronic and automatically reset to the "off" position after an ignition cycle. Invariably a passenger leaves their seat heater in the "high" position and I'm already scooting down the highway at 75 miles an hour. On the TL I can reach both switches, so it is less of an issue on it.

Greg

·
Registered
134 Posts
I also don't mind the switch location. It lets you glance down to see if you are set on hi or lo. And yes ,Lead Foot,the seat back is also heated, at least on the driver side. The passenger side is only heated on the buttockular area, the service manual says there are air bag type components in the passenger seat back. My only beef is the universal "they really should be on a timer or at least reset to "off" when the ignition is turned off.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
628 Posts
It is time for one of you mod guys to find some TL or Ody salvage switches and find an appropiate place on the dash to wire and install them.

------------------
Mike Lowary
Freeport, IL

'02 GG EX-L
splash guards, Honda 6 disc in dash CD changer, Honda fog lights, cargo tray, genuine leather steering wheel cover, Pioneer TS-1695 front speakers

'96 Honda Accord EX
'01 Honda Goldwing ABS
'96 Honda Helix

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmmm, I've spent some time in the passenger seat of my (wife's) van; I could have sworn both the cushion AND seatback are heated on that side as well.

Ah, well, there you go. Owner's manual, p. 112. No heater in the passenger seat back.

Now I'm curious enough to go out and check it out.

[This message has been edited by adam1991 (edited 02-11-2002).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
I find the seat heater switch locations a bit of a stretch as well. On my Volvo they are on the center conole, easy to reach and to (for when my wife leaves hers on). As for location, how about on either side of the slide out beverage/coin holder. Makes seeing the passenger one a bit tricky, but easier to reach. Havn't pulled out the beverage holder to see if there is room - it's a bit nippy out tonight!

·
Registered
794 Posts
The really stupid thing about the switches is that the one in the left door is marked L. As if there could be some confusion? Why does only the switch have this label? Why not label everything on the left side of the car with an L.

Reminds me of the Larson comic:

http://www.mel.nist.gov/msidlibrary/doc/libes89.pdf

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone checked the wiring on these? I find them a hassle too, very far down in the door to reach. Moving them to the dash would be nice....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ken W said:
The passenger side is only heated on the buttockular area,

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.
Ken
Thanks for the laugh. I got a real giggle out of the new word you taught me.

Moopie
:D

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you can't reach the switch while you're driving, you can take your shoes off and use your toes...I think that's what the engineers were thinking when they put the switches there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 2010 Odyssey Touring with all the bells and whistles and we have read the manual and cannot find the on/off switch for the seat heaters. I found the Hi/Low rockers, but not the switch. Help!

·
Super Moderator
13,703 Posts
I have the 2010 Odyssey Touring with all the bells and whistles and we have read the manual and cannot find the on/off switch for the seat heaters. I found the Hi/Low rockers, but not the switch. Help!
Well, you are in the wrong generation. That Hi/Lo switch you found is the correct switch. It is a OFF/Lo/Hi switch. The order might not necessarily be the right one and OFF might be in the middle as we don't use the heaters much I don't remember but the same swtich is OFF as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the answer from another source. The rocker switch is three positions. Up for high, middle for off an down for low. The middle or off position is nowhere to be found in the manual and is not labeled on the switch plate. What is good to know is the the switch is not illuminated when in the off position.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts