Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might sound silly, but can you watch just one DVD that takes up the whole screen or when you are watching one, does it still just show up on half of the screen and the other half of the screen remains blank? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
80 Posts
This might sound silly, but can you watch just one DVD that takes up the whole screen or when you are watching one, does it still just show up on half of the screen and the other half of the screen remains blank? Thanks for your help!

when you just watch the dvd from the center dvd player [in the front], the screen if shown in the middle of the lcd screen. It doesn't fill up the entire screen.

If you have an external dvd player hooked up to the 3rd row...and then you select dual feature on the remote...you'll have split screen ...one from the factory dvd player...and the other from the external dvd player....from the 3rd row.

it's a nice little feature that they came up with for children who want to watch their own shows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you just watch the dvd from the center dvd player [in the front], the screen if shown in the middle of the lcd screen. It doesn't fill up the entire screen.

If you have an external dvd player hooked up to the 3rd row...and then you select dual feature on the remote...you'll have split screen ...one from the factory dvd player...and the other from the external dvd player....from the 3rd row.

it's a nice little feature that they came up with for children who want to watch their own shows.
Thanks for your help! This might have made me decide on just the Touring...not sure I feel like having an external dvd player set up in the car just to watch the second show. Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
You can make a single source (built-in DVD player) fill up the screen using the remote. This is equivalent to changing the wide-screen and/or zoom feature on a cable box. Depends on your personal preference, but it sure looks impressive! The Elite also comes with a better audio system, including true surround sound with your DVD's.

There is another thread re: the HDMI feature on the Elite. I've rigged up an Apple TV and a wireless router (Airport Extreme) which enables you to send to the screen videos from an iPhone or iPad. A little overkill, I'll admit, but gives you the option of carrying multiple movies/shows with you, and eliminates the need to get in the 3rd row and set up a 2nd-source DVD player. The source from the phone/iPad can be displayed in a similar fashion as the DVD -- split screen or single/wide mode -- and the audio can be played throughout the van (5.1 surround sound!) or via the wireless headphones.

Clearly I'm an Apple fan boy. An upcoming firmware release will enable you to display video you just shot on your iPhone on the van's big screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You can make a single source (built-in DVD player) fill up the screen using the remote. This is equivalent to changing the wide-screen and/or zoom feature on a cable box. Depends on your personal preference, but it sure looks impressive! The Elite also comes with a better audio system, including true surround sound with your DVD's.

There is another thread re: the HDMI feature on the Elite. I've rigged up an Apple TV and a wireless router (Airport Extreme) which enables you to send to the screen videos from an iPhone or iPad. A little overkill, I'll admit, but gives you the option of carrying multiple movies/shows with you, and eliminates the need to get in the 3rd row and set up a 2nd-source DVD player. The source from the phone/iPad can be displayed in a similar fashion as the DVD -- split screen or single/wide mode -- and the audio can be played throughout the van (5.1 surround sound!) or via the wireless headphones.

Clearly I'm an Apple fan boy. An upcoming firmware release will enable you to display video you just shot on your iPhone on the van's big screen.

Hey - first time poster - just got the Touring Elite today. Wow - love the Extreme/Apple TV setup. Course the manual says don't do it :lol: but I'd love to hear more from you about how you did it :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's a link to the other discussion re: HDMI

If you have a Mac at home, the set-up is pretty straight forward, meaning I have no idea how to do it otherwise :) First, you have to use Airport Utility on your Mac to configure the Airport Extreme (AE) to create a wireless network and give it a name and password if desired -- ours is "Odyssey". Once those settings are created, you restart the AE but via the Airport Utility it will say there is a problem since the AE is not connected to the internet; that's fine, and the utility should give you the option to have the AE not show an error message (i.e. orange blinking light). The AE should then turn a steady green light.

Now you have to connect the Airport TV (ATV) to the AE's network. I again did this in our house while I had the ATV connected to our TV. In the Settings I simply selected the "Odyssey" network being broadcast by the AE. Again, the ATV will say that you're not connected to the internet. Now you can unplug everything and take it to your van. Once you start your van, it will take the AE about 1 minute to turn green, and by that time the ATV is already functioning. Now you can use Airplay to send your movies from your iPad or iPhone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here's a link to the other discussion re: HDMI

If you have a Mac at home, the set-up is pretty straight forward, meaning I have no idea how to do it otherwise :) First, you have to use Airport Utility on your Mac to configure the Airport Extreme (AE) to create a wireless network and give it a name and password if desired -- ours is "Odyssey". Once those settings are created, you restart the AE but via the Airport Utility it will say there is a problem since the AE is not connected to the internet; that's fine, and the utility should give you the option to have the AE not show an error message (i.e. orange blinking light). The AE should then turn a steady green light.

Now you have to connect the Airport TV (ATV) to the AE's network. I again did this in our house while I had the ATV connected to our TV. In the Settings I simply selected the "Odyssey" network being broadcast by the AE. Again, the ATV will say that you're not connected to the internet. Now you can unplug everything and take it to your van. Once you start your van, it will take the AE about 1 minute to turn green, and by that time the ATV is already functioning. Now you can use Airplay to send your movies from your iPad or iPhone.
Thanks for the link and the info. :) I may have too many small children to rig up the power, but it's sure tempting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts