Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, does anyone have experience or thoughts on buying certified, vs... uncertified? does it make any difference? do dealers generally do right by these warranties?

i'm looking at odysseys in the '05 to 07 range and have had people tell me it's better to find a honda dealer and go the certified route. :dunno:

thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
The only thing better is the 12 month 12,000 mile warranty, but you pay a premium for it.

IMO 'certified' is a scam, I have looked at certified Ody's carfax clean, etc, etc and they had been hit and repaired with poor quality body work.

Don't let your guard down just because some thing is marked certified.

Did you ever see that movie with David Spade and Chris Farley called Tommy Boy?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114694/

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
"it's better to find a honda dealer and go the certified route."

Only if you want to pay full retail and get less car for the money. Buying the right car is not something you leave to a professional seller, rather it's an active pursuit that requires the buyer do the work to qualify the car and judge the prior owner (not just the business currently in possession of title for purposes of profit). Certified is BS meant to help dealers sell cars, and allegory suggests how often dealers don't even meet the factory definitions for certification but still sell as such. You and your advisers really trust those big time car dealers, eh?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
It's pretty much just a warranty.

I wouldn't say it's BS. If you would have considered a Honda extended warranty anyway then it's not a big deal. Some dealers may charge a bigger premium though over buying a Hondacare warranty though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Honda used car manager that I know other than via my car told me that it costs him about as much to pay Honda to certify a car as the prices that Hyannis et al charge for HondaCare. In other words, it's in the price you pay for the car and you don't get much for it compared to the alternative. There's no free lunch.

If my question about your trusting profiteering strangers (nothing bad per se about profit) is really the question that you're asking us, then I do not see how you expect us to answer for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I guess I'm different. I wouldn't look at one unless it's certified. You get a 12 month warranty and also the powertrain warranty is extended to 100K. If it is certified you can also buy the hondacare warranty also at time of purchase(regardless of miles). I like having some warranty on a used car b/c you don't know how well it's been cared for in the past. I know the dealer may charge a little more for a certified, but you are getting something in return, plus the more you haggle you might get it for next to nothing.

·
Registered
887 Posts
The warranty is nice, I have used it. It does come with the 12/12 and the 7/100 on the powertrain. The certified wrap which takes the 12/12 to the 7/100 is or was $660 when I purchased it 2 years ago. So if it goes in the shop one time outside of the 1 year mark the warranty has paid for itself.

I personally like having a warranty when I am making a payment on a vehicle, if the price is reasonable.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We bought our 2007 EX-L in April and had it certified to get a lower rate through Honda Canada. Because of the lower rate the extra year of warranty ended up costing me 225$, which I am OK with.

As to buying from a dealer or privately, sometimes there is little choice: I checked various online used car markets for one month before buying and no Odyssey was showing up, all the lease returns are kept by dealers.

As a note, the warranty/financing dude tried to charge me more than salesman had said it would cost but he was easy to being down so I would suggest tried to deal down the cost of the certification.

Nicolas

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
VanMan09 said:
*** I like having some warranty on a used car b/c you don't know how well it's been cared for in the past. ***
If you buy from the dealer that serviced it, the service history will still be available in their computer. I agree with you that not knowing a car's service history is a concern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that would be ideal, wouldn't it.

i think i'll go to a couple of honda dealers and see what i can see. i appreciate the input, it's helpful as far as getting my ducks in a row. :cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts