Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 ody EXL 125K miles, original owner, Tranny replaced with factory rebuild unit @ at 84K miles:nothappy:.

1) Plan to replace ATF myself again. Last time after the A/T replacement, the Honda tech. told me to use Honda ATF when it is time to change the fluid because the A/T is very picky on the fluid. Any comment?? or the factory tech. just try to drum up more business? Anyone have experience with aftermarket ATF? regular/synthetic?? If so, any recommandation?

Yesterday, I went to get some ATF from Honda dealer at $8/qt. I checked it out today and it was ATF DW1 for newer vehicles instead of ATF Z1. Is it safe to mix use the DW1 in a 2002 Ody??

2) Passager rear brake pads--inside 2mm vs outside 6mm. (6mm both pads on driver rear). Bad caliper?? Call a local shop and he initial suggested replacing the faulty caliper + bracket for $135. Is it necessary to replace the mounting bracket? He then suggested to replace both reap calipers for $270. Is it necessary ??

3) Recently I noticed the wheel/fender gap are much wider then before. Almost at SUV level. I did not remember it was this wide when I first got the van nine years ago. Measurement are as follow: from fender lip to top of tire/center of wheel

L front: 16 1/2" /3 1/2" R front: 16 3/4" / 4"

L rear: 16 1/2" /3 1/4" R rear: 16 1/2" / 3 3/4"

Are these normal gap for 2002 Ody now or I have shock/spring issues?

Sorry for these long questions, please help. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
409 Posts
1. I just did three drain & fills with Honda's DW-1 ATF. Getting ready to do #4 soon. With all the problems folks have encountered with the AT, I thought why chance it?

2. I suggest removing, cleaning and re-lubing the caliper guide pins before replacing the calipers. One or both of them might be binding.

3. My 2004 has that 4 X 4 look too. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advices. I called 2 separate Honda parts dept. today and confirmed that the DW-1 is ok in my old Ody. Also I was planning to do 2 more ATF changes in short period of time, may be 1K miles apart. I will check out the caliper pins and see if it works. Thanks again for your advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I also have a 2002. I bought cases of z1. I change it religiously every 20,000. To often? For the price of a pizza, I think not. I now have 211,000 and not one tranny problem. Fortunate. I also drive like a grandpa, pull a boat, pull a 3000 lb trailer.

I have always listened to Honda's recommendations regarding fluids. (Except oil. I go for price and change it every 3000.) Maybe they are a few dollars more but I can afford it. Just make my coffee at home.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts