Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Thule Evolution cargo box (I think 2100 model) on our 2006 Ody. I had previously purchased the box for another Ody model that we owned that was about 3 years older. That prior Ody required the Thule braded crossbars while our new Ody (2006) has its own roof rack with crossbars.

The problem is that the new Ody's crossbars have the slightest amount of flex to them, and that flexing eventually cracked the cargo box. No only that, but the cargo box would sometimes buffet in the wind at highway speeds.

Anyway, I'm thinking about buying newer Thule crossbars in order to eliminate any flexing. Thule did replace the box under warranty and I don't want to crack the new one. I was just wondering if anyone else had problems with the OEM roof rack crossbars flexing. If I had the time, I'd secure some sort of reinforcement under them.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have the Evolution 1800 so it's smaller than yours. Have been using mine
with the OEM crossbars on 2006 Odyssey and 2009 MDX without any problems.

I just used it on a 1200 mile roundtrip without issues.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I would suggest some pipe foam insulation or that foam that surfers use for their boards on roof racks, to make up the difference between the box and the bars, I just got factory bars so I will have to see how the box sits up there...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts