Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past couple weeks, I've noticed a faint ticking or vibration. So faint no one else notices, but I do. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen before. It is only reproducible in overdrive, around 45-50 mph and 1500 RPM. At that point, if I'm coasting, and barely press the accelerator, I hear it, especially if I'm hitting an incline.

I'm wondering if it's gasoline related, so I may try a tank of high octane of a different brand next time, but I know I've heard it with at least two different brands of regular...

It might just be a normal sound, too.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I'm not sure, but that sounds like the old shift cable noise that showed up quite a while ago. Honda was supposedly experimenting with a weight on the cable or something.

I could be wrong, though. Maybe someone with one of the older Odys that was affected will chime in here. If I can find any of the old posts, I'll let you know. They may be on Yahoo.

------------------
Chuck
Ody Pics and Projects

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Take a look at about message #398 on the Yahoo forum. It sounds like the same thing.

Follow the "Grinding noise in transmission or Engine" thread.

------------------
Chuck
Ody Pics and Projects

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 04-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ckonarske (edited 04-02-2001).]

·
Registered
126 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caviller:
In the past couple weeks, I've noticed a faint ticking or vibration. So faint no one else notices, but I do. I'm pretty sure it didn't happen before. It is only reproducible in overdrive, around 45-50 mph and 1500 RPM. At that point, if I'm coasting, and barely press the accelerator, I hear it, especially if I'm hitting an incline.

I'm wondering if it's gasoline related, so I may try a tank of high octane of a different brand next time, but I know I've heard it with at least two different brands of regular...

It might just be a normal sound, too.
</font>
Also see torque converter fixed thread on this board. There is a tech link there.
http://www.honda-odyssey.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000003.html
I have the same noise. Sounds like real light engine ping at around 50 mph (torque converter lock-up)with gas peddle slightly depressed. Goes away if more gas is applied.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it sounds like it could be one of two separate problems? Either the torque converter or the shift cable? Assuming the noise doesn't get any worse, is there any reason it would need immediate attention, or can I just live with it? I think it has gotten slightly louder, but is still hardly noticable above road noise, and I don't often hit the combination of speed/RPM that triggers it in my commute. As long as it isn't a safety risk, or something that will become much more serious, I'd rather leave it. Plus, at this point, I can almost guarantee the dealer would claim it is a normal noise...

Thanks for the input, all.

·
Registered
148 Posts
From my experience, its best to bring it in ASAP. This way there is a record of the event at the dealer should the problem persist or become worse. Especially after the warranty gives out, you can always point to the fact that there has been a history of the event and it was never successfully resolved. As for the dealer's SOP for all problems; "they all do that," my response is; "then we should have no problem taking out an identical model for a test drive and see if it does the same?" This usually shuts them up and makes them take you a little more seriously.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2001 Ody left front suspension makes a tick sound (sounds like the word tick) when going over bumps especially at low speeds. It feels like the suspension is bottoming out and I can feel it through the steering wheel.
Does anyone else have this problem?...and what is the fix?

I took my 2001 Ody in for service at 5 months, 5400 miles, to fix this tick noise. Honda service drove the car with me and heard the noise. They replaced the front left strut and the W-S/ABS unit (whatever that is). This did not eliminate the tick sound.

Again, I took the van to Honda service at 6 months, 6400 miles. The service tech drove the car with me and heard the noise. This time they tightened lower control arm bolts, lubed front brakes, door tracks and rubbers. This did not eliminate the noise.

I paid a lot of money for this van and expect a quiet ride. It doesn't bother my wife (she listens to the radio and can't hear it), but it bothers me.

Honda service tells me there is no fix. No way!

·
Registered
184 Posts
bil-

The creaking noise I've described elsewhere has a definite "tick" to it.Similar noises have been covered in another thread in this forum under the topic "steering-creaking noises". You probably don't need to post the same question under multiple threads, as most regulars here read all new threads and are very willing to help with any info they have.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Originally posted by niki ...in a different thread
I heard a same thing 2days after pickup my new OD. I took it out to the dealer service dept and here what they found and fixed writing on their service paper.

---Put chassis ear on car-loosened upper strut mount and remove strut, lubed mount and reassembled strut and cowling-noise gone.

Hope this will help to solve your problem.
;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts